number of the 1994 - 2000 engine

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

happyman
Spree
Spree

number of the 1994 - 2000 engine

Post by happyman »

anyone know the number of our motors on the Elite. i see some numbers on the back of the trans case that may be the engine #'s but not sure. it says A16 E.
is this the number to use when differant sites list what fits what? i have seen #'s and a mix of letters as this and am curious..
Thanks
Wheelman-111

AF 16E

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You are correct, sir. AF 16 E is your engine model code. Until 1994, the code was AF 05 E. Many Forum denizens refer to it -incorrectly - as SE50, but the Scooter Model designation was SA50 starting in 1989, so beware or just use the Engine code. Much detailed info available here:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/index.html

Different markets got different Model names, thanks to marketing department focus groups. Aero here is Vision or Tact over there. Elite here was Dio over there. Even within an engine type, there were running changes that made some years' parts incompatible with other years.

1994 was the year of some Big Changes in hard/heavy/expensive parts. I found out the hard way. :(

Elite 50 was discontinued here in 2001. Thanks EPA. However the two stroke legend lived on a few more years overseas, with upgrades that characterize Honda's zeal for improvement. The latest Dio engines changed again - engine code AF 18 E. I've read that it uses a stronger 12mm wrist pin. There may be other changes so check before you buy.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
happyman
Spree
Spree

Re: AF 16E

Post by happyman »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

You are correct, sir. AF 16 E is your engine model code. Until 1994, the code was AF 05 E. Many Forum denizens refer to it -incorrectly - as SE50, but the Scooter Model designation was SA50 starting in 1989, so beware or just use the Engine code. Much detailed info available here:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/index.html

Different markets got different Model names, thanks to marketing department focus groups. Aero here is Vision or Tact over there. Elite here was Dio over there. Even within an engine type, there were running changes that made some years' parts incompatible with other yea
1994 was the year of some Big Changes in hard/heavy/expensive parts. I found out the hard way. :(

Elite 50 was discontinued here in 2001. Thanks EPA. However the two stroke legend lived on a few more years overseas, with upgrades that characterize Honda's zeal for improvement. The latest Dio engines changed again - engine code AF 18 E. I've read that it uses a stronger 12mm wrist pin. There may be other changes so check before you buy.

thanks for the reply!! both my Elites had and have 12 mm small end bearings. Also are you saying the A18E is the same as my 1994 and 2000 Elite?
another thing i have been trying to do is for the lasrt 8 months is locate jthe gaskets set for both the molossi and palini corsa kits i have in the event there is an event. the pistons+ rings areno problem, but the gasket kits are i think impossible to find .. at least so far.. once againthanks.