2001 elite sr50 performance/stock top speed?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

2001 elite sr50 performance/stock top speed?

Post by needfasterthan31 »

i just picked up a 2001 honda elite sr50.i was wondering what is top speed stock? i am just wondering if mine has the washer inside the muffler and if it has that restrictor in the pulley.i weigh 235 right now and i got it going 40.i only test drove it and its snowing here so at the moment i cant take it pout for a nice long cruise to see exactly what it has but im guessing not much if any over 40mph.so basically before i bother to pull the muffler off and side cover to see the pulley,if im doing 40 now has mine already been derestricted,and is this the dio motor? and i just seen taiwan made 65cc bolt on cylinder/piston kits on ebay for $65.00 and $25.00 shipping from a seller in taiwan, for that price it looked too cheap.are those any good? or should i stay away from the taiwan stuff or will i have to buy the intake,carb,and pipe after the bigger cylinder.thanks fellows for any input.im know theres some threads on about this but i know next to nothing about the elites and what years came with what and whats a se50 compared to a sr50.
01 Elite SR50
>Polini Contesta 72cc Kit (To be soon installed)
>R1 Pipe (To be soon installed)
>Keli Variator
>9:1 gears
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Sound like its deresticted already.as for the bore kit If your thinking of going to the 65cc you might as well go 72cc.taiwan bores are good .almost all bores come out of taiwan even the brand name japan and european stuff.They just get there name stamped on the bore and change just a few castings on the out side to make it look different from the no name stuff.If you don't want to spend to much money you can do the buget build which is a 72cc bore,high speed pulley and up gears.you can use the stock exhaust and stock carb,you just have to put a larger jet in it.this set up can get you to 50-55mph maybe higher.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

thanks for the info. think ill go for the 72cc big bore,pulley,and gears,from what i read most people seem to go with the 9:1 gears? so with a big bore 72cc i take it i dont modify my cases or crank and i use my stock cylinder head? or should i get one with the head?
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

They usually come with a head for the kit and you don't need to mod the case.you will also need to get a stiffer clutch shoe springs and stiffer center spring.with the stock exhaust the 1500 rpm spring is good both clutch shoe and center spring.also mod the inlet of the air box to let more air in and up jet the carb to a 88 or 90.It will depend where you live and how the air is,if its cool(below 60deg.) run the 90.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

with a bore kit you also need to ditch the oil injection system and run premix.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Consensus, not Unanimity

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

KMcC submits:
with a bore kit you also need to ditch the oil injection system and run premix
That is the consensus of the Phorum Collective, but there is not unanimity on that point. I have only 7500 miles on the Polini bore, so my experience is limited to that. However I retained the pump and keep GN2 in the oil tank. You can adjust the pump to open wide before the throttle reaches maximum. I take the precaution of mixing my tank fuel up at 60:1, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Others don't even bother.

With the pump in place, an occasional fill-up with Unleaded Sans Oil will ensure you can at least get home. If you err on the rich side when jetting, I'm confident an aftermarket bore will last a good long time without the hassle of premixing.

Your mileage may vary...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

thanks for the replies.and i agree with you kenny on ditch the oil pump and run premix.at least i dont know how to turn up the volume on the oil pump,but the way i see it if you are a making a normal machine a high performance machine i would think premix is the only way to go to be on the safe side.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

My thinking is the injector is only meant to pump enough oil to lube the stock piston moving at the stock velocity in order to appease the EPA demons. Bigger and or faster piston needs more lube, if the tailpipe isnt moist with oil you are running on or beyond the edge of under lubrication.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
groovy
BMX
BMX

Post by groovy »

Wheelman..............You have 7500 miles on that rig already?
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

groovy wrote:Wheelman..............You have 7500 miles on that rig already?
Ya really? wow you are putting on some miles.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you got to mean 750 right?

there is no way you racked up 7500 already. Unless you ride that thing all day and night. :lol:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Wheelman-111

Dang Typos

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Thanks for catching my typo. You are correct, only 750 miles on Polini bore, most of it with 50:1 premix supplemented by Early-opening pump.

That adjustment is easily done. Just use the two locknuts at the pump cable bracket to pull the cable casing back away from the pump. When you open the throttle the pump control lever moves sooner and farther than the stock setting. It goes wide open just before the carb does.

Now showing 800,000 miles since Polini installation. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Hey Dac, my original 94 elite-s has 79,000 mi. and im on my 2nd polini bore kit + crank :lol:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

i wasnt reading the speedo correctly.the speedo stops a little past 35 so basically top speed on mine flat ground with no harsh wind against me seems to be right at 60-62kilometers per hour and downhill it is probably 66kph.or slightly more so my top speed is actually right at 38mph and downhill it seems to be 41-42.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
jesse1234
Spree
Spree

Post by jesse1234 »

uh... it shouldn't be that fast if it's completely stock

gps tested?
Purple '99 Elite SR
Red '01 Elite S