boost bottle

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

turtle13
Elite
Elite

boost bottle

Post by turtle13 »

as i was waiting to see if the gas tank was leaking, i pulled the line off the petcock to replace with a newer tubing. when i pulled it off, the idle settled down. this i know would mean that i am still running a bit rich, but it got me thinking about boost bottles. i know on some bikes (mainly two stroke reed valveless, but some have seen great results with reeded bikes) , it is something that helps out tremendously, especially with hesitation off the line and low end torque.
has anyone tried out a boost bottle on these scoots? if so did you just run it off the vacuum line like some 2 stroke snowmobile guys do, or should you drill and tap the intake manifold for a barbed fitting?
i think i am going to try it off the vacuum line, but due to the move and the gas tank leaking. but in the mean time, please discuss.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: boost bottle

Post by ALOW1 »

To run a boost bottle, I would tap the manifold and add a barbed fitting myself.

Do boost bottles work? I have seen people argue over whether or not they work over and over. I personally think that they do help. But what is it that they exactly help?

I believe that they are good for one thing and it has nothing to do with low end torque or is it going to make your engine run faster. The one thing they are good for is throttle response.

They are good for motocross racers and jet skis and things like that, vehicles that you are on and off of the throttle all the time. A boost bottle will make the throttle just a little more responsive.

Unless you are planning on racing your scooter I personally wouldnt waste your time with one. They do add a cool factor to anything you put em on but that is about it. In a daily riding situation you more than likely wouldnt even know you had the bottle on it.

Another thing to remember is that you can not just use any bottle, you need something that is designed for the size of your motor.

One last thing, these are my opinions. Other people will prolly have different opinions then I am. If you want to run one, cool. If you think that it really helps, cool. But I personally do not think it is worth the time.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

i was thinking that i was going to play around with a syringe at first to see if any certain cc amount seemed to be the magic extra amount of cc's. then from there i can craft one to to that ammount. i imagine some copper tubing, a cap, fitting to adapt to the barb, and then some jb weld to fill in to said cc amount, and voila`.
yeah i know what you are saying, boost bottles really seem to work with certain engines, and they have gotten a bad name because some peoples engines just dont work that well with them... and then the joys of the internet come in... and all of a sudden they are a waste of time and money for everything... when in all reality, they do serve a purpose. just not for everyone.
in my area of town there is alot of off and on throttling (lots of lights and fast driving between them), so i figure if it makes a little difference in having a crisper throttle response there is no down side to it. a little difference can go along way on a day to day basis. i am just amazed that with the amount of tinkering this group does that i have never heard it come up.
the bling factor i do not really care about, since it will be under body paneling, and probably hand crafted (aka butt ugly).
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

im gonna give this one a bump since i am curious what some of the other tuner/tweaker guys think.
has anybody tried one on our scoots?
'62 125cc Honda cub
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Boost bottles can work but my personal take is that it's more of a gimmick than anything. At the very bottom of my post I'll tell you the most noticeable result of using a boost bottle. The idea of the bottle is to capture some of the reversion that occurs doing the power stroke cycle that seeps past the reeds back into the manifold. For the boost bottle to work properly, it MUST BE installed above the carb. The end result is supposed to help make the lower rpm response better.

Now my personal experiences with it. With the Keihin/Oko flatslide carbs, the low rpm performance is quite superior to the old school round slide carbs which had problems at small throttle openings (you had to put up with a rich low speed circuit) where throttle response was very lazy. This was the only time where the boost bottle actually helped. However with the new PWK (and PWK copy) carbs, if you know how to tune carbs you won't be able to tell a difference.

The only real difference I can visually see is that on open carb setups, there's less oil buildup at the mouth of the carb with a boost bottle on a bike using premix oil.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

the boost bottle doesn't work but the trans cooler setup :lol: does work
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Trans cooler?????????????????? To cool fuel????Not the 3oz of oil in the trans.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

maddog wrote:the boost bottle doesn't work but the trans cooler setup :lol: does work
Trans cooler?
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I've got a guess - maddog is talking about a cooler for the air/fuel charge. But have not heard of it called a 'trans cooler'. Think of an intercooler, with an external source of 'cool'. Cooler, denser charge is well known for increasing power.

In the auto world, a little searching found a CO2 supplied cooler. No CO2 enters the engine, its the cooling effect from liquid to vapor that is desired. So the CO2 is sprayed to cool the non-engine air side of an intercooler, which can then transfer the cool to the engine air inlet.

BTW - Thanks maddog, interesting idea :)
http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=795

---- Added -- data and link for a calculator to experiment with environmental factors vs HP ---
There is a calculator you can experiment with at this link
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2774/coolercharge.jpg
Take a look at the attached 2 runs from the calculator. Difference is 30 degreesF, HP gain: 5%