2001 Honda elite 50 already does 40 mph Check this post out

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

turbotempo85
Noob
Noob

2001 Honda elite 50 already does 40 mph Check this post out

Post by turbotempo85 »

I purchased a 2001 elite 50 with about 80 miles on it about 2 years ago. It now has about 1200 miles on it. Soon after purchasing it I came across a site about taking the restrictions off it to allow it to show its true power and speed potential. It went from consistant 25 mph to 40mph on the level and even faster aided by gravity down hill. I am a 210 pound guy. Now I have read numerous posts and have seen that many people's elites only obtain 40mph or close to with a few after market mods including boring it out, clutch weights, variators etc..... Now the only thing I have done to mine is removed clutch restrictor which entailed removing 3 screws I believe and plate off the front clutch and removing exhaust and removing the metal exhaust washer/limitor on exhaust.
Now my question is What if anything would you do next that would gain more speed or low end torque. Right now I really have nothing to complain about with this scooter, but I am trying to beef it up without spending a boat load of cash. I have read numerous posts about different weights and variators, but it seems like most people that start there are at only 30-35 mph starting off and I am about 5 mph past that already. Running completely stock 3.00x10 tires as well
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 2001 Honda elite 50 already does 40 mph Check this post out

Post by burnt_toast »

you'll always still see gains from a variator upgrade.

stock vari doesnt use up entire face, aftermarket one does. take a look:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=2&t=9647

if you're seeing 40mph already make sure you dont have air leaks making you run lean.
projects galore :nerd:
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

if you want torque for more bottom end put a 72cc bore kit on.for about $115 you will have a wheelie monster.then later you can up grade other stuff after you get hooked on the power.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
turbotempo85
Noob
Noob

Post by turbotempo85 »

Saying it is running lean is why I am getting such good performance, wouldnt I have already seen motor damage by now? I have ridden this scooter hard from the moment it was de-restricted (if that is a word). I mean I have run it full throttle for lengths of 3 miles or more at a time. Up some steep hills, power braking donuts, wheelies at every stop sign, jumps and anything else you can think of. I still run the stock oil injector, which I admit, doesnt seem to use a lot of 2 stroke. I run Honda Synthetic 2 stroke. The motor has not skipped a beat yet. After 1100 miles I figure if it has been running lean I would have figured the motor to seize by now or atleast need to be rebuilt.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Lean running conditions can be severe to mild. Severe is hole in piston where you lose all compression. Mild problems can only be diagnosed after looking at total miles on the engine and tearing down the bore and actually looking at the conditions of the piston, rings and bore wall. When the motor runs lean, temps go up higher than they should. Depending on part quality and riding conditions, the internal parts (usually the piston first) will expand more than it should, putting more force on the bore walls causing the surface of both the bore and piston to score/scuff. This problem is accelerated when junk oil is used.

Seizing can be soft or hardcore. Hardcore seizing usually is the result of lack of lubrication where the rod seizes on the crank, whereas soft seizing is often due to the piston expanding too much inside of the bore from getting too hot and then unsticks itself when it cools down.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Check plug color.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

if thats all you did you have a few more things to do=45 mph given your weight.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

My 2000 already did around 40mph when I bought it too. It was derestricted already. Sounds like it is running fine to me. Before I upgraded my bore
I changed just the variator on mine and was able to get up to around 45mph. I rode it like this for a year, sometimes at WOT for over an hour at a time
down some back roads travelling around 80km (50miles). I could make it in one tank of gas too If I went a little slower. Now with my mods, I can go half way until I have to fill it up again.

Jeremy
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
turbotempo85
Noob
Noob

Post by turbotempo85 »

I plan on buying the variator and a new belt asap. Is there anything else relatively cheap that I can purchase and install at the same time. Also is there anyplace cheaper to buy the variator with new ramp plate other than vtcycles for the $50.00? Its heading towards end of summer and I should be putting money into my Jeep and not my scooter, but if I can stay reasonable I will pick up everything.