se50 performance on a budget

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bugaboo
Spree
Spree

se50 performance on a budget

Post by Bugaboo »

Hey everybody. Just getting into this scooter craze and finally bought a 87 SE 50. Been reading lots of threads on performance and seems like there are too many recipes for gaining speed to kno which is best. Thought i would just ask someone to maybe just list some mods that they would do under my parameters. Looking to get fifty mph, lose as little mpg as possible, and spend $400 or less. Everything's stock as of now. Thanks for any info
It's official! I'm addicted
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: se50 performance on a budget

Post by novs86 »

jk171282jk wrote:Hey everybody. Just getting into this scooter craze and finally bought a 87 SE 50. Been reading lots of threads on performance and seems like there are too many recipes for gaining speed to kno which is best. Thought i would just ask someone to maybe just list some mods that they would do under my parameters. Looking to get fifty mph, lose as little mpg as possible, and spend $400 or less. Everything's stock as of now. Thanks for any info
Believe me!
I'm not trying to be negitive!
$400 is not enough money. In order to get to 50MPH and maintain that speed safely with that engine will require too many mods. The little things will add up to that amount too quickly. :(
I'd rather be riding my Aero!
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I had mine to 47 mph tops for under $400. BUT...i bought it with an already oversized piston (1 size bigger). Never able to hit 50 mph but with 10:1 gears you might.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Oh Tosh What Twaddle!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Novs86:
$400 is not enough money. In order to get to 50MPH and maintain that speed safely with that engine will require too many mods. The little things will add up to that amount too quickly
Pshaw and Fiddlesticks. Your shapely SE can push 50 and beyond with little effort and some change left over from your $400 bill.

See Malossi USA for their bore kit and pipe. Have Viglo cut you a deal for the lot. I say $300 tops, maybe less, shipped. Those parts are gathering Big Apple dust on the top shelves as worthy SE/05 mod candidates are becoming scarce. Check to see if you have the 10:1 gears for sure. If so you can avoid the coin for the 67-6458 gears. Just add a 90/90 or a 3.50 rear tire. Add your choice of variator - very helpful but not a "must" with the fine I-talian parts above - and put in a few nickels more for some tuning rollers and stock carb jets so it can all play well together. Under $400. Zoom. :thumbwink:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Bugaboo
Spree
Spree

Post by Bugaboo »

Any thoughts on performance CDI's or High Energy Ignition Coils? Is the risk of leaving the revs go up to much?
Wheelman-111

Electronic Snake Oil

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have no direct experience but plenty of reading here and elsewhere tells em it's just about impossible to improve on the quality and durability of the Stock Honda electronics. The engine RPM is controlled by the variator during acceleration and limited by wind drag once the belt shifts all the way into "overdrive".

You're right to be concerned that if the engine produces more power than the scooter's speed makes drag, it is possible to over-rev the engine into dangerous territory. However none of Honda's own modules appear to incorporate any sort of electronic Party-Pooper, nor do the Aftermarket ones. Basically there's no such thing as Plug-In Performance here. Save your money for the Good Stuff.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Oh Tosh What Twaddle!

Post by novs86 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Quoth Novs86:
$400 is not enough money. In order to get to 50MPH and maintain that speed safely with that engine will require too many mods. The little things will add up to that amount too quickly
Pshaw and Fiddlesticks. Your shapely SE can push 50 and beyond with little effort and some change left over from your $400 bill.

See Malossi USA for their bore kit and pipe. Have Viglo cut you a deal for the lot. I say $300 tops, maybe less, shipped. Those parts are gathering Big Apple dust on the top shelves as worthy SE/05 mod candidates are becoming scarce. Check to see if you have the 10:1 gears for sure. If so you can avoid the coin for the 67-6458 gears. Just add a 90/90 or a 3.50 rear tire. Add your choice of variator - very helpful but not a "must" with the fine I-talian parts above - and put in a few nickels more for some tuning rollers and stock carb jets so it can all play well together. Under $400. Zoom. :thumbwink:
Wheelman assumes everything else is fine and in perfect working order with your new to you scoot. :eyeroll:

Without knowing what the current condition of your scoot is , I'm considering the unknown. This amount is nearly $600. I haven't even got into brakes ,brake lines and other misc things. Before you go and buy all these high performance parts, making sure it's in fine working order should come first. In order to make it worth your while all of these things plus more misc items if worn should be replaced or upgraded!
1: Belt $30.00
2: roller pack for tunning $20.00
3: rolers you finally choose(durable set)$15.00
4: clutch springs $15.00
5: center spring $15.00
6: tires $45.00
7:tubes $10.00
8:variator $40.00
9:gears if needed $80.00
10 Exhaust and BBK $300.00
Like I said the little things add up.
Last edited by novs86 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Novs, you're absolutely right! I was trying to break it to him gently. :smile:

Still, the wise trader can get a few pennies back for the used parts too. A nice stock bore kit from a running scooter easily fetches $30; the used pipe can fetch almost twice that - just to cite two examples. Once the initial "Investment" for the high-dollar hardware is made, the combination of time and sell-offs makes the nickel-and-dime stuff approachable on a meager budget. Even mine. :oops:
Wheelman-111
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

you can certainly go 50mph with $400 budget

find a dio style motor to swap in within a $200 budget

then add:
variator
rollerpack
9:1 gears
center spring
48mm bore kit

Then upjet carb, tune cvt and you're set to fly :thumbwink:

I can hook you up with all the mentioned above performance parts for $200 8)

This setup gauranteed to fly and be lots of fun :coolcruise:
projects galore :nerd:
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

burnt_toast wrote:you can certainly go 50mph with $400 budget

find a dio style motor to swap in within a $200 budget

then add:
variator
rollerpack
9:1 gears
center spring
48mm bore kit

Then upjet carb, tune cvt and you're set to fly :thumbwink:

I can hook you up with all the mentioned above performance parts for $200 8)

This setup gauranteed to fly and be lots of fun :coolcruise:
So nice of you to offer this stuff up now toast! :eyeroll: Where were you 4 months ago !

Just kidding! :mrgreen:

But before someone else chimes in...... The million dollar answer is sure you can for $400.
Yes..also according to Toast.. again yes it can be done.....

I just hope the rest of your scoot is safe! :nervous:
Bugaboo
Spree
Spree

Post by Bugaboo »

Yeah i thought was low-balling myself with my $400 budget but if i dont set one i have the bad habit of splurging on these kind of things. Plus it'd be too easy for you guys to advise if i say'd $1000. Think I'm gonna do everything except the big bore for now. Any advice on a pipe that will be good for the stock afo5 and also for the big bore?
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

jk171282jk wrote:Yeah i thought was low-balling myself with my $400 budget but if i dont set one i have the bad habit of splurging on these kind of things. Plus it'd be too easy for you guys to advise if i say'd $1000. Think I'm gonna do everything except the big bore for now. Any advice on a pipe that will be good for the stock afo5 and also for the big bore?
My advice if you want it is this.
Install a new variator,belt,rollers and springs and be happy with 38-42 MPH depending on your weight. Also replace any worn parts such as brakes , tires , air filter element and spark plug.

When your ready to spend some money add one nice thing at a time and sell the stock version just as wheelman suggested.
It won't get crazy for you money wise and you will appreciate every update you give the scoot. :)
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

leo vince sp3 for honda vision. got mine from scooter-center.com it was part number LV4447. it said discontinued but the guy said he could get one more. not listed now wonder if i got the last one, it shows a LV4445 dont know if that will work.
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold
novs86
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by novs86 »

tw39515 wrote:leo vince sp3 for honda vision. got mine from scooter-center.com it was part number LV4447. it said discontinued but the guy said he could get one more. not listed now wonder if i got the last one, it shows a LV4445 dont know if that will work.
Read this. :smile:

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... sp3#p87822
tw39515
Elite
Elite

Post by tw39515 »

cool i might need new exhaust for my elite, just got my sp3 last week for my aero. wonder which one is better
87 elite dio
01 elite 50
87 aero parting out
85 spree sold