6-Hour Endurance Race - Spree Upgrade Tips/Recommendations

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ginj
Noob
Noob

Re: 6-Hour Endurance Race - Spree Upgrade Tips/Recommendatio

Post by Ginj »

:smile: I've had a good chuckle with the replies,

The cost to enter the Mopedathon is $30 per team of two or more, as to whether there are any winnings; it's solely bragging rights. All money goes to charity. In regards to Wheelman and Taz's comments on pit stops, refuels have to be carried out with the motor off whereas with rider changes, only the scooter has to be stationary. As for heat it'll be a sweltering 18 degrees Celsius (64 Fahrenheit) :P so not too bad, apart from the slightest of slopes for drainage, the tarmacs flat as a pancake.

Wheelman - I presume you mean't something along the lines of your thread:

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... rease+fuel

It's definitely going to be on the to-do list...

New pulleys from Taz will be on order as soon as my finances are in order :woot:

As for sponsorship, I'm open to the idea....
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Well the oil tank's additional quart's capacity increases the Spree's capacity by almost 50 percent. Still, three fourths of a gallon won't get you all that far into the 6 hour event. If it were legal, I'd strap a 5-gallon can to the luggage rack and splice it in. Sprees are slow; stopping is slower. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

1st, hit up ebay for an express tank the the square style it holds a gallon of gas bolt on to rear rack.... (still need to figure out how to get more gas)

2nd, I dont know what your budget is but you might want to consider a motor swap for a var. motor (dio, af16, or afo5) that you can put bigger gears in to have i higher top speed......

3rd, Good Luck lol
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Ooo, interesting race.

That Nifty 50 is a fixed ratio, right? No variator, in other words.

First, get all the fundamentals solid, as that first list said. And get some good tires on it.

If you know how to port, or know someone that does, I'd do that first. If not, just clean it up good.

Second, I'd build an expansion pipe for that thing. The one I built was perfect for 15-35MPH transitions... where it fell down was going from 0-15MPH. Built from a pocket bike pipe. I always thought it would be the perfect pipe for a race bike, since it really helped it pick up speed more quickly, but was pretty poor for launch... which you only do once if you're riding right.

Bucket bikes... funny. They don't even sell bikes like that in the States anymore, even as donors. You'd have to run 50-150cc stepthrough Chinese bikes if you wanted a class like that. Bikes in that size are all antiques here and somewhat valuable.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

noiseguy wrote:
Bucket bikes... funny. They don't even sell bikes like that in the States anymore, even as donors. You'd have to run 50-150cc stepthrough Chinese bikes if you wanted a class like that. Bikes in that size are all antiques here and somewhat valuable.
did some searching... honda makes a really cool 150 called the "unicorn" however, looks like its only from india.
:( sad panda
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

fightingplankton wrote:did some searching... honda makes a really cool 150 called the "unicorn" however, looks like its only from india.
:( sad panda
Hero Honda. There are a whole line of 100-150cc bikes sold in India, under license with Honda and built in and for the India market.

Smaller size bikes are those Loncin "pit bike motor 110cc" motors. 100cc, 150 MPG. Start at less than INR40,000 (about USD$900). One model is even fuel injected (!!!) Not available in the States though.

http://www.herohonda.com/products.htm
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Ginj
Noob
Noob

Post by Ginj »

I've asked the organisers and unfortunately we can't "add" fuel tanks to the bike, be it in the form of tanks strapped to the panniers or foot well, or carrying fuel on the rider (someone once filled a cheap Camelbak up with fuel to give them another few litres).

Sadly, my budget isn't that big to consider doing a engine swap. At the moment, it's looking like I'll just be doing the porting, Oil tank conversion, pulley change and possibly making a expansion chamber.

As for the bucket racers, they're definitely vintage, we don't see too many small engine road bikes over here and haven't since the '90s. Whether they are valuable or not is a different story :lol:
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

earlier someone posted a japanese guy who welded up his own tank which was way bigger for his motocompo.
i'm thinking just do this...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19301&hilit=best+of+my+life
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
motormike

Post by motormike »

:bump: .........How 'bout it, Ginj?.....getting along with this project?
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ginj
Noob
Noob

Post by Ginj »

Sorry about the delay - I've got all the fundamentals sorted and have just been riding around enjoying the wee scoot. I had put off doing any of the mods and keeping it factory; as I was feeling rather * :jack: as one of my co-riders offered his Aprilia RS50 to race - capable of over 60mph in race trim with large disc brakes and a 13L fuel tank.

Things were looking good. :woot:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/2 ... 460x0w.jpg

Until he overheated it and K.O. the big end. :shock:

Now less then a week out from the race and the 'ol Nifty 50 is still in stock form :lol:

The other competitors are riding everything from little water-cooled motocross pit bikes with slicks:

http://motorcycle-vermont.com/front-pag ... C_0334.JPG

to Suzuki A50's; they're 3-speed with a speedo that reads to 60mph but I'm not completely convinced:

http://www.rideastride.com/files/images/IMG_0314.jpg

and finally to the ever faithful Dio.

Needless to say - I think we've got this one in the bag :eyeroll: :nervous:
motormike

Post by motormike »

....Aprilla failure has put you back to the Spree, then...... :surprise:
......what a beautiful ride that could have been.... :thumbwink:
Have a bang-up day, Ginj...send us some pix..... :hi:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ginj
Noob
Noob

Post by Ginj »

Can do, I should be able to have a fair few up sometime next week...
Ginj
Noob
Noob

Post by Ginj »

G'day All

It's going to be a big update - I'm happy to say our team won the Step-Thru class, but it wasn't a completely clean race.
Two punctures, two crashes and having to run back to the pit after one of the team ran out of fuel due to a faulty fuel gauge.

I'll start with the lineup from last to first place on the grid:

The organiser's bucket:

Give it a Nudge Racing - they built there bike in 3 days out of odd bits and even without a battery or kickstart managed to do pretty well.
Note: Ratchet start - possible upgrade mod for when your starter fails?

And yes that entire toolbox was needed to keep theirs and other bikes running.

Next up, the lone 4-stroker. A 3-speed with a knackered gearbox leaving them with only 2nd and 3rd; not the fastest way to get around a twisty track. BTW, this was classified as a step-thru scooter.

The following team had a water leak putting them out of the race at the 3 hour mark - however at the time, all the buckets were roughly within a lap or 2 of each other.

Then it was us - our Blue Nifty serving as our dedicated racer and the red one borrowed from a mate as a parts frame.

Next up, was a Chinese mini-moto with a massive CRF450 front brake setup on there little frame - it's surprising they didn't cartwheel down the runway.

The 'ol Dio, she wasn't anywhere near racing form - she definitiely needed a good tune up. But boy was she hard to miss in that striking colour scheme.

The eventual winners were next up

Brown Bullet Racing were next in the queue:

Then there was the bmx, he was reasonably quick but had a few good falls too. He had to shoot off before the race finished unfortunately so we can only guess where he would have come overall:

Then in first place on the grid was:

That's the lineup sorted next up some pictures of the track taken from pit lane- I'm trying to get an aerial shot of the basic track and post sometime next week.

This next shot is during the practice - note both size of the little Spree and the distance the far riders are out - the course length was about 1.1km(0.7mi).

Our start wasn't the best - we were stuck on the line with only the electric start - 30 seconds later and we were away. The guys who were ratchet starting usually took 5 min to start so were allowed to start the race engine on.

Our clutch wasn't the best, in fact when I found out we were racing the Spree I decided to rip off the clutch drum to find a clutch that looked a lot like this:

As you can imagine, it wasn't the best for pulling out of corners - or anything for that matter.

The guys on the moto bike had a recurrent problem of their swingarm nut falling off (twice) and the bolt half falling out. A puncture and a blown water pump ended their race around 2 hours in.

They weren't the only ones with punctures - with four teams suffering a loss of air.

Twice (both times whilst I was riding) we had to stop for a tyre change - thank you attrition frame.

Pit Lane was walking speed - so with a worn out clutch it was quicker to canter through the pit lane both to save the clutch and escape the condescending eye from the clerk of the course for speeding.

Next up is a series of photos of some of the team racing - note the Spree trying to overtake the Dio both around the outside and taking the inside line... and succeding!!!

Then one showing another team around the same corner:

Then a few more of us:

At the 5hr and 50min mark, Give it a Nudge Racing's makeshift scooter sheared an axle in half - loosing the rear wheel and providing a bit of drama in the closing stages of the race. He's filing the axle so he can cross-thread a nut onto the axle and finish the race.

And then come the end of the race, the results:

We took out the trophy for the scooters, beating the geared bikes as well as the single speeds and came 5th overall. We lapped 172 times, 5 laps behind fourth and 15 laps behind third; with each lap taking approx. 1min 50 sec. So not too bad considering running out of fuel early on (the gauge works from full down to half - we couldn't understand how the scooter was running so well on so little fuel until...) two rear tyre pictures AND two crashes.

And finally a close up of the BEAST and a little bit of tyre peeling - no chicken strips on our tyres.

The next mopedathon is on January 28th, 2012. Game On :thumbwink:
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

nice!

that was prob fun as *

i gotta find/get something like that together around here
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Where in NZ is this held
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress