Preformance Speed Variator is BS on Elite SR50

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

The join date got reset for everybody when forums where updated. Lets stop the bickering or this is getting locked.
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

IMO i would lock this now.
this topic and "porting". i have a strong felling this is going to get out of control.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

No, no need to lock. I just came out and said my findings which some might find helpful especially newbies such as me. Spree started with the acusations which lead to insults. I never insulted him, well not directly and not until he said what he said. I just stated what I found and was honest, he shot me down and called me what he did. I don't insult anyone but have a question and state my question and my mind.

As for the date thing, ok, so I jumped to conclusions and I am man enough to apologize when I am wrong. So Spree, I APOLOGIZE for my statement on your Join date, I was just being defensive. Yes, schooling is not everything, Jesse James probably didn't do much of that and he is what he is. I still STICK to my opinion on a same diameter Variator !!!!!!

We are all here to learn about what makes this scoot run and run better, hopefully while saving some $$. I am sure we all have learned something such as a 1mm drill bit is a #100 jet and I learned that Get this, I can lock my handle bars if turned to the left with the key! Yes, I don't have a manual and never paid much attention to it untill I read the manual here on line.

On that note, I will let it be at that. I am gonna test my scoot tomorrow with my new gears and Poling Corsa.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

i for one woulld like to know how you scooter runs. it appears to have some real nice parts. i have some decent parts myself so i will have sometnhing to compare it too.
itzmepete wrote:No, no need to lock. I just came out and said my findings which some might find helpful especially newbies such as me. Spree started with the acusations which lead to insults. I never insulted him, well not directly and not until he said what he said. I just stated what I found and was honest, he shot me down and called me what he did. I don't insult anyone but have a question and state my question and my mind.

As for the date thing, ok, so I jumped to conclusions and I am man enough to apologize when I am wrong. So Spree, I APOLOGIZE for my statement on your Join date, I was just being defensive. Yes, schooling is not everything, Jesse James probably didn't do much of that and he is what he is. I still STICK to my opinion on a same diameter Variator !!!!!!

We are all here to learn about what makes this scoot run and run better, hopefully while saving some $$. I am sure we all have learned something such as a 1mm drill bit is a #100 jet and I learned that Get this, I can lock my handle bars if turned to the left with the key! Yes, I don't have a manual and never paid much attention to it untill I read the manual here on line.

On that note, I will let it be at that. I am gonna test my scoot tomorrow with my new gears and Poling Corsa.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Well,
Finally got the old 12.2 to 1 final drive gear pressed out and replaced with a new 8:44 to 1 gearset. The local machine shop used a hydraulic press, took bout 10 min and they did it for free!

Cleaned out complete tranny case. Got my New 8:44 to 1 gear set back in, new variator, 9 gram weights, Polini Corsa kit, drilled carb jet with a 1 mm drill bit which leaves you with a # 100 jet. Still using stock muffler, modified airbox by opening it up, I have included pics of the airbox below. Still function as before just let more air into the housing. I basically started by removing the plastic divider in the two air passages, Then added a 3rd square opening on the plastic lip not seen cuz it was removed when I needed still more air to come in. End result is what you see now. It runs the same with the cover off as it did on. Before it ran fine but with the cover off gained 5 mph so thats why I started opening it up little by little.
I used new gear case gasket ALTHOUGH as others have said, if you are careful, you can reuse the old one. The gasket is very think and durable, a little permatex or Indian head gasket coating is ideal, I would not use a silicone forma gasket. I added 3 ounces of oil which is acutally just UNDER the oil fill port. I did not use 10w30 as I am in Florida, hot, plus figured with the new faster gear, 20w50 would hold up better. Popped everything back together. Started it up and went for a ride.

Was easy on it till it warmed up, rode at 25 mph for a few blocks. I noticed right away that with a cracked open throttle and I was doing 25 MPH! Once warmed up, I opened it up a bit and was going over the 35 reading with about a 1/4 travel on the throttle. Stopped and from a stand still I gunned it. First, from a stand still, takeoff is about same or a hair less than stock for the first 5 feet then accells slightly harder than stock gear and stock 50cc for about 2 or 3 seconds and then much harder! Problem is that it keeps accellerating past 35, fuel guage and then dissappears! All smooth and very fast. There is no need that this thing go this fast , its scary BUT it will not only keep up with 45 to 55 mph traffic, you still have power to spare if needed. I have not maxed it out for max speed but will do so after I run a few tanks of gas thru it.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS, THE BRAKES ON THESE SCOOTERS ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THESE SPEEDS! Make sure they are in top shape. I know the Jap Dio's have disk brakes. A conversion kit would be ideal and I will look into that when I deal with the new speedo.

Now my assesment. I big bore kit is a must, any brand will do, I prefer steel cylinder. I did reasearch all the different kits. I settled for the Polini Corsa as a steel cylinder is a steel cylinder but not every aluminum piston is the same so with the Polini I felt I had two things.
1 A factory ported Cylinder of the highest quality
2 A high quality piston. Even the piston skirt was machined to improve the boost port. I don't know if other big bore kits have this feature.

I never used the street preformance Reed that came with the polini. Figured I'd save it for a rainy day. Mine works fine, why mess with it now I figured.

A cleaned rebuilt Variator is a MUST. This mean clean it, use new rollers and a NEW belt. I think everyone here knows my OPINION on a so called racing Variator.

Don't make a mistake I made on a cheap taiwan gearset, check the spline carefully for proper fit. The seller told me the spline was correct but made for a Dio gearbox. I am skeptical of his answer but he did refund my money and told me to just keep it. I have no use for it. I guess it can be used but I would have a professional welder lay a few welds on the gear and shaft to make sure the spline doesn't give.

1mm drill bit works great on a carb's stock jet.

With just the polini or any big bore kit and stock gears I won't advise as
1 Engine revs higher with stock gears, Eats ALOT of gas, and you can overheat it easy. I was getting I guess over 85 to 90 mpg stock, swapped the head with the big bore and I could see it eating gas for the little time I test ran it.

2 Yes, with a big bore and stock gears takeoff is unreal but top end only improves by 5 mph, thats it. I dunno, if you were racing some sort of short track, top speed of 35 mph then fine cuz you want neck snapping accelleration. Otherwise, get gears, 8:44 to 1 is perfect. I cant really see using these gears with a stock 50cc. I can't imagine the poor accelleration, the load placed on the motor as the gears would be alot for a stock motor but it can be done and if I had to use a stock 50cc, I would use 9 to 1 instead, stiffer clutch springs and maybe a tad lighter vari weights.

New gears with Big bore slows the engine back down and takes advantage of the big bores extra torque and power. It also brings back the fuel economy. I can't imagine what the fuel economy will be now as it takes very little throttle to get it going to 35/40 mph.

I am very please over all, I could probably replace my clutch springs with a tad stiffer and improve take off but like I said, takes off just like a stocker for the first 5 feet then it zooms! I was doing 45 up a small hill, not so much as hesitated, slowed down or anything. Headwind, not a problem. 35 mph is attained with a mere 1/4 throttle travel!

Gonna go on a 95 mile trip to my friends house, easy 40 mph , open it up a little every now and then as well as shut it down when I stop and take a break. Figure back and forth would be just under 200 miles and a good break in. I am adding 1 ounce of Castro 2 stroke injection oil in the fuel tank till I get some Honda oil. Eventually, once broken in, I will top off the oil tank, mark the full level on the neck with a sharpie marker , run a gallon of gas and then top off the oil again to see how much oil it ate. This way I will know exactly the fuel oil mixture ratio. I do have my oil cable adjusted all the way but not wired open as I don't think all that oil is needed at slow speeds. Plus, I did a chop plug and plug looked great. I hope this helps anyone out there. All that is left for me is a new muffler!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

this is the third topic you posted those paragraph/pictures.

:shock:
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

a good run for you. happy it all worked out with good results sounds like you may have a good 60mph top end.am really curious about the gas mileage too. and oil for that matter.i guessi may do a littel more to my airbox too. not sure i need too but i may take a look again. also that 100 mainjet seems like it could be fat but whatever works. i have a R1 pipe so i guess i will do a jet as you have too i can always go amsller if it needs it.. better safe than sorry.i run the amsoil myself and it works real well.. will use it on the hondas also. may put some in the gas but i rather doubt it,,

itzmepete wrote:Well,
Finally got the old 12.2 to 1 final drive gear pressed out and replaced with a new 8:44 to 1 gearset. The local machine shop used a hydraulic press, took bout 10 min and they did it for free!

Cleaned out complete tranny case. Got my New 8:44 to 1 gear set back in, new variator, 9 gram weights, Polini Corsa kit, drilled carb jet with a 1 mm drill bit which leaves you with a # 100 jet. Still using stock muffler, modified airbox by opening it up, I have included pics of the airbox below. Still function as before just let more air into the housing. I basically started by removing the plastic divider in the two air passages, Then added a 3rd square opening on the plastic lip not seen cuz it was removed when I needed still more air to come in. End result is what you see now. It runs the same with the cover off as it did on. Before it ran fine but with the cover off gained 5 mph so thats why I started opening it up little by little.
I used new gear case gasket ALTHOUGH as others have said, if you are careful, you can reuse the old one. The gasket is very think and durable, a little permatex or Indian head gasket coating is ideal, I would not use a silicone forma gasket. I added 3 ounces of oil which is acutally just UNDER the oil fill port. I did not use 10w30 as I am in Florida, hot, plus figured with the new faster gear, 20w50 would hold up better. Popped everything back together. Started it up and went for a ride.

Was easy on it till it warmed up, rode at 25 mph for a few blocks. I noticed right away that with a cracked open throttle and I was doing 25 MPH! Once warmed up, I opened it up a bit and was going over the 35 reading with about a 1/4 travel on the throttle. Stopped and from a stand still I gunned it. First, from a stand still, takeoff is about same or a hair less than stock for the first 5 feet then accells slightly harder than stock gear and stock 50cc for about 2 or 3 seconds and then much harder! Problem is that it keeps accellerating past 35, fuel guage and then dissappears! All smooth and very fast. There is no need that this thing go this fast , its scary BUT it will not only keep up with 45 to 55 mph traffic, you still have power to spare if needed. I have not maxed it out for max speed but will do so after I run a few tanks of gas thru it.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS, THE BRAKES ON THESE SCOOTERS ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THESE SPEEDS! Make sure they are in top shape. I know the Jap Dio's have disk brakes. A conversion kit would be ideal and I will look into that when I deal with the new speedo.

Now my assesment. I big bore kit is a must, any brand will do, I prefer steel cylinder. I did reasearch all the different kits. I settled for the Polini Corsa as a steel cylinder is a steel cylinder but not every aluminum piston is the same so with the Polini I felt I had two things.
1 A factory ported Cylinder of the highest quality
2 A high quality piston. Even the piston skirt was machined to improve the boost port. I don't know if other big bore kits have this feature.

I never used the street preformance Reed that came with the polini. Figured I'd save it for a rainy day. Mine works fine, why mess with it now I figured.

A cleaned rebuilt Variator is a MUST. This mean clean it, use new rollers and a NEW belt. I think everyone here knows my OPINION on a so called racing Variator.

Don't make a mistake I made on a cheap taiwan gearset, check the spline carefully for proper fit. The seller told me the spline was correct but made for a Dio gearbox. I am skeptical of his answer but he did refund my money and told me to just keep it. I have no use for it. I guess it can be used but I would have a professional welder lay a few welds on the gear and shaft to make sure the spline doesn't give.

1mm drill bit works great on a carb's stock jet.

With just the polini or any big bore kit and stock gears I won't advise as
1 Engine revs higher with stock gears, Eats ALOT of gas, and you can overheat it easy. I was getting I guess over 85 to 90 mpg stock, swapped the head with the big bore and I could see it eating gas for the little time I test ran it.

2 Yes, with a big bore and stock gears takeoff is unreal but top end only improves by 5 mph, thats it. I dunno, if you were racing some sort of short track, top speed of 35 mph then fine cuz you want neck snapping accelleration. Otherwise, get gears, 8:44 to 1 is perfect. I cant really see using these gears with a stock 50cc. I can't imagine the poor accelleration, the load placed on the motor as the gears would be alot for a stock motor but it can be done and if I had to use a stock 50cc, I would use 9 to 1 instead, stiffer clutch springs and maybe a tad lighter vari weights.

New gears with Big bore slows the engine back down and takes advantage of the big bores extra torque and power. It also brings back the fuel economy. I can't imagine what the fuel economy will be now as it takes very little throttle to get it going to 35/40 mph.

I am very please over all, I could probably replace my clutch springs with a tad stiffer and improve take off but like I said, takes off just like a stocker for the first 5 feet then it zooms! I was doing 45 up a small hill, not so much as hesitated, slowed down or anything. Headwind, not a problem. 35 mph is attained with a mere 1/4 throttle travel!

Gonna go on a 95 mile trip to my friends house, easy 40 mph , open it up a little every now and then as well as shut it down when I stop and take a break. Figure back and forth would be just under 200 miles and a good break in. I am adding 1 ounce of Castro 2 stroke injection oil in the fuel tank till I get some Honda oil. Eventually, once broken in, I will top off the oil tank, mark the full level on the neck with a sharpie marker , run a gallon of gas and then top off the oil again to see how much oil it ate. This way I will know exactly the fuel oil mixture ratio. I do have my oil cable adjusted all the way but not wired open as I don't think all that oil is needed at slow speeds. Plus, I did a chop plug and plug looked great. I hope this helps anyone out there. All that is left for me is a new muffler!
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Happy, just took it into town and back. Its running really sweet. 60 MPH yes, easy. I can't believe the power and speed. Its like before, you just opened the throttle all the way and kept it there. Now you open it like a real motorcycle. If I run it at 40 I expect awesome gas milege. I will post the oil usage and gas milage when I make my 100 mile run to Tampa later this week from Ocala so you will know.

The rings haven't seated yet, compression cold is 115 psi cold, 120 hot. A bit of oil in the cylinder and cranked over a bit then do another compression check and it shoots up to 155 psi. Thats the oil sealing the small gaps between the rings and cylinder. I checked it this way before I started it and after several runs, both soft and hard then checked it again with same results so it will be a while for those rings to seat, then the pressure should go up more and run even better. I am curious as to MPG and I think it will do better just cuz if driven under 40, barely any throttle open.

Yeah, didn't you order a Mallosi cylinder big bore? Yeah, get some small drill bits, should be available at any Hobby shop if you can't get them at a local Hardware. Mine were in my Xacto 45 piece set. Came with a small hand drill like a pencil that you twist with your fingers and assorted small drill bits.

I just need a new muffler, gonna order a R1 in black so it looks stock. Mine, I just found a really small hole at the base where the pipe enters the muffler. So the muffler is a priority. Then speedo, gonna see if there is a front disk brake kit as well.
Pete
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

seems you have decent runner now.. the milage just may be better than i figured it would be. so how many miles now? am suprised the rings are not seated yet. how far do you run it before your shutting it down.is the plug color looking good at midrange? what is the needle setting?
yupper have a couple molossi setups headed my way. i am doing a lot of looking things over here and replaced things like brakes, wheel bearings and cables that are iffy,and painting wheels, replacing tires. want the ride to be safe.i think if you go to a disc brake front end you have a pile of money involved but not sure. the brakes if setup properly, and are clean, and not worn out it will stop pretty quick. not as good as my kymco, but plenty good. sounds like your havin fun and thats what its all about. can you wheelie pretty easy?my stocker, if you don't pay attention will wheelie pretty easyi don't like to wheelie myself, anyway keep the shiney side up!!

itzmepete wrote:Happy, just took it into town and back. Its running really sweet. 60 MPH yes, easy. I can't believe the power and speed. Its like before, you just opened the throttle all the way and kept it there. Now you open it like a real motorcycle. If I run it at 40 I expect awesome gas milege. I will post the oil usage and gas milage when I make my 100 mile run to Tampa later this week from Ocala so you will know.

The rings haven't seated yet, compression cold is 115 psi cold, 120 hot. A bit of oil in the cylinder and cranked over a bit then do another compression check and it shoots up to 155 psi. Thats the oil sealing the small gaps between the rings and cylinder. I checked it this way before I started it and after several runs, both soft and hard then checked it again with same results so it will be a while for those rings to seat, then the pressure should go up more and run even better. I am curious as to MPG and I think it will do better just cuz if driven under 40, barely any throttle open.

Yeah, didn't you order a Mallosi cylinder big bore? Yeah, get some small drill bits, should be available at any Hobby shop if you can't get them at a local Hardware. Mine were in my Xacto 45 piece set. Came with a small hand drill like a pencil that you twist with your fingers and assorted small drill bits.

I just need a new muffler, gonna order a R1 in black so it looks stock. Mine, I just found a really small hole at the base where the pipe enters the muffler. So the muffler is a priority. Then speedo, gonna see if there is a front disk brake kit as well.
Pete
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

itzmepete wrote:Happy, just took it into town and back. Its running really sweet. 60 MPH yes, easy. I can't believe the power and speed. Its like before, you just opened the throttle all the way and kept it there. Now you open it like a real motorcycle. If I run it at 40 I expect awesome gas milege. I will post the oil usage and gas milage when I make my 100 mile run to Tampa later this week from Ocala so you will know.

Pete
just pointing out something. The R1 tail pipe totally sucks.
i don't know how to say it other then that.
i understand that you want to look stock. But if you want to look stock just drill a few baffles out of your stock tail pipe. The R1 tail pipe is a HUGE waste of money.
I know your not going to listen to me. But im just letting you know.

i mean come on! you got a great cylinder, and your going to ruin your bike by putting some crap tail pipe on it. I mean, you know as to what you are doing. Why put some crappy * 50cc off brand pipe on there when you got a top of the line 72cc cylinder.
Get a fricking PG long and paint it black or something! Or how about a 70cc rated SEF pipe! Even a V8 pipe is better then a frickin R1.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:

Pete
other than the outlet, what makes the pipe such a joke? does it perform?
ya its not very pretty and its heavy as * too. seems to have a lot of volume, so its at least soemwhat better than the stocker i think.. ya ugly is the word i agree. its also quite . but if it don't perform its gonna be history for me. will get a good pipe then. the pg long as you say.may get a cojuple of um and send them out to get chromed to have a good looking performance pipe i see the stocker seems to let the motor do faily well but i imagine with a large carb and intake and a pipe it would be like night and day in how it runs
just pointing out something. The R1 tail pipe totally sucks.
i don't know how to say it other then that.
i understand that you want to look stock. But if you want to look stock just drill a few baffles out of your stock tail pipe. The R1 tail pipe is a HUGE waste of money.
I know your not going to listen to me. But im just letting you know.

i mean come on! you got a great cylinder, and your going to ruin your bike by putting some crap tail pipe on it. I mean, you know as to what you are doing. Why put some crappy * 50cc off brand pipe on there when you got a top of the line 72cc cylinder.
Get a fricking PG long and paint it black or something! Or how about a 70cc rated SEF pipe! Even a V8 pipe is better then a frickin R1.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

why did you quote that but not say anything?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:why did you quote that but not say anything?
you talking to me?? i said something in case you missed it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

oh i didn't see what you put the first time. you got to make sure you talk outside of the quote box so people can see it.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:oh i didn't see what you put the first time. you got to make sure you talk outside of the quote box so people can see it.

so how do i do that? thought i was doing what we are suppose to do what eht heck huh