Preformance Speed Variator is BS on Elite SR50

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Ya know, I know the pipe is big and not pretty. It has to preform better than my stock pipe. *, My scoot, d***, I just drove it 40 miles. 20 miles each way. Was hard to keep the speedo needle down. Like a cracked throttle and its doing 25 mph and the engine is crackling like it wants more gas. Then throttle turned open just a quarter freaking inch and I am doing 35, a tad more and I am in the gas guage, off the scale and I STILL have throttle ?!?!?! The engine is NOT being pushed when the speedo needle is anywhere in the gas guage , it starts to get into its higher RPM band as it nears the end of the speedo and like I said still has throttle and RPM/Power left over so a muffler really is no big deal. Mine is a bit loud. I found two very small holes, like the diameter of the lead in a lead pencil so I need a new muffler. I like the PG that Burnt Toast has, I am afraid to ask how much and how loud it is.

I was offered this muffler for $100 plus shipping another $15 to $20.
Wonder how good it is and how loud it is. Does have a quick disconect feature, small and has a silencer. A quiet fast engine is always cool and to me at least feels faster.

I have several website that sells Elite aftermarket stuff but never found any with the PG muffler line so if anyone knows one shoot me a line. We should have a link on the forums that has any websites for aftermarket stuff. I find it hard to come across them, maybe I am not doing a search in the right way I dunno cuz I usually find anyone or anything I want or need on the web with ease. Toast, where and how much did ur pipe set you back and how loud is it? I am afraid of the response!

Peter
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

first off, you got to resize that image or take it down.

AlaskAirHog has a elite with a polini kit, 8.44:1 gearing, Much comparable to your bike.
His wheelie videoshould give you a good idea of the sound of his bike.

VTCycles has them for $140. Just call them up.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Sorry! I though I saved it when I resized it and I didn't check my post. Yeah I have seen Alaska's video's , gonna check it out again and pay attention to it more. $140 is very reasonable for that PG pipe.

I just rode it 40 miles last night! A 20 mile trip each way, all going at 40 to 50 mph. Ran great, not much throttle and engine speed was no where near its high rpm that it can go.

I gotta get a muffler, I need a quiet one that doesn't look too racey , black, no steel or chrome. Gonna see what I can find. Thanks DAC.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Yeah, sounds a bit like the stock but cracks a little more. When I get ready to buy it next month, I'll call VT and then see if they have it in black. It does look more stock than the one above, but less than the R1.
I'll see what I do between now and then.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

itzmepete wrote:Yeah, sounds a bit like the stock but cracks a little more. When I get ready to buy it next month, I'll call VT and then see if they have it in black. It does look more stock than the one above, but less than the R1.
I'll see what I do between now and then.

i have to wonder if the real good pipe will help at all with the little carb.. we have,, ya got to get air in before ya have to think about getting it back out.. i do like the looks of the pg long that is for sure
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Yes, you are correct. But if you know me by now and from reading my posts, you can be assured hat I will do a test run before and after and inform my findings!

I was gonna do my 90 mile run but not feeling up to it so might do it tomorrow or next week. rest assured I will do it though! Still running great and this is the way a scooter should run, at least 45 to 50mph but leave it to our laws to limit that to 30mph. Its still running strong and sweet, like a Raped Ape outta the jungle! I can't wait to pop a new muffler and compare.

Pete
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

a techni gas pipe is good, and you can get many different silencers to change the sound and performance.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

MySpree wrote:a techni gas pipe is good, and you can get many different silencers to change the sound and performance.

you bet i agree with you here. the RS is what i run on my kymco.no reason it won't work on a setup like pete has. thry make a differant one too that has more tq but ya give up the top end.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Never seen the tecni pipe. The ability to change different silencers aounds nice. Right now, I think anything is quieter than my stock. I don't think its so much the two tiny holes just a worn muffler and I think the new cylinder has to do with making it loud.

Next month I will do the muffler, and I am working on something sweet for a new Speedo! Either
A - Redo a new speedo with guages that will fit in our bezel

B - Add a very small Digital LCD screen into out current display. Remove Speedo, find the best location , cut a small section out, add small LCD screen , put back together.

Only problem with B is that the small Bell Speedo I wanted to use can only calibrate down to 20" wheels. I like B as its easier and cheap while keeping an almost stock guage.

Which ever I do, I know EXACTLY how to place the magnet pick up on the rim and front forks. My original plan to recalibrate my speedo can work but them my Odo will be off so thats no good.
When I make some headway I will post my new speedo.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

So why would malossi & polini make these parts? its not what you think, the lighter weight on the crank end lobes creates power and every 1mm on either pulley creates 5 mph you can also shim the front pulley as the belt wears and a jet engine is just an oil burner used for heating houses on the east coast & midwest and i work for the air force so i know my engines- live & learn :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Ok, companies make parts , aftermarket parts that they know are frequently changed due to wear. Variator wear, not alot but the face does, the rollers alot. Its not an expensive part to manufacture and the mark up I would bet is unreal at $45 let alone $100 or more! I have seen some with new rear ramps, bushings, rollers and a new Vari selling for as low as $34 ! If I manufactured parts, I would extend my line to manufacture other items I know I could sell and they all have claims of either More Speed , More MPG or More power. Its called marketing and selling.

I would not argue that a lighter Vari is easier for an angine to turn. I will argue that the power gain is VERY minimal and even if it was noticable again, would go toward accelleration not top end speed.

1 mm larger diameter Yes would give you a higher top end speed. Problem is that there is no room in a STOCK honda elite for a larger diammeter Vari without machining the case. Then other factors come into play such as belt length, belt might hit inside case as it spins riding higher up, etc.

Shimming a VAri, I won't comment cuz I could barely understand your post or comments and I feel would be a waste of time, the same goes for a turbine.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Just went thru a gallon of gas. Got 80 mpg which is about the same as my old 50cc BUT I have to admit, I've been dogging my scoot. I can't help it, its nice being able to keep up with traffic and pass them at times!

No note on how much oil its eating per gallon of gas with the oil injector cable adjusted to max. I have to buy some more oil to top off my oil tank so I can do this accurately.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

I use a basic dremmel tool to cut the 3 high spots on the rear case for the dio rear drive convertion along with a 1/8 longer front boss and wider bando belt, this is the difference between the japan dio and u.s. honda elite-s i did this 10 yrs. ago now you guys can catch up :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

stillspeeding wrote:I use a basic dremmel tool to cut the 3 high spots on the rear case for the dio rear drive convertion along with a 1/8 longer front boss and wider bando belt, this is the difference between the japan dio and u.s. honda elite-s i did this 10 yrs. ago now you guys can catch up :lol:
when you run the rear larger pulley do you run the stocker type on the front??
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Happy, I wouldn't get too excited about a larger rear pulley. While there is space for it, you will probably need a slightly longer belt. A larger rear pulley will just give you better take off, but by adding a slightly larger belt, might help ride up higher on the front pulley.

Anyway, an update, I did all my mods and noticed that take off speed from a stand still with the Polini and 8:44 to 1 gears was not as good as when it was stock or with the stock gears and big bore kit. I had ordered a new , well a used (345 miles) rear clutch as mine was about worn, I'd guess 80% worn. Thought about up'ing the clutch center spring and the 3 shoe springs. Well, clutch came in and I popped it in stock. Take off from stand still is now great. I credit it to several things.

1) While the clutch is stock, it is new and the springs are fresh.
2) Shoes are new and makes a perfect contact. My old shoes had maybe a 60% contact. See dark area on pads, the white area is a groove cut and did not make contact.

With the new lower gears, its obviously harder for the clutch to turn soooo, a clutch in good shape is a must. My old clutch had uneven wear as if something let loose inside and wore out a center section of all 3 shoes.

In any event, Take off now with the 8:44 to 1 and the Polini is as good maybe better initially , first few feet, and then much better than stock, hold on! Here is a few nice pics of bad clutch good clutch.

I am half way thru my 1 gal fuel run and then gonna check the oil tank to see how much oil it is injecting so stay tuned.

Good Clutch $49 ebay like new