Sym dd w/ hona dio engine i need help please!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jacob789
Goped
Goped

Re: Sym dd w/ hona dio engine i need help please!

Post by jacob789 »

305elite did ur tecnigas exhaust come restricted?
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

madman tell me how fast it goes when youve finished modding it
thanks
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

also im not sure yet as i havent had a good chance to test my top speed but it might flat out at just a little over 50mph on my clock which is about 54mph on my mates 125. why could this be, could it be the belt? any suggestions
thanks
Sym DD
72cc Polini Corsa
Tecnigas Next R exhaust
OKO 21mm carb
CT intake manifold
7.4:1 gearing
Koso variator w/9g rollers
Race clutch w/2000 rpm clutch springs
Bando racing belt

60+mph
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Remove the belt cover, if any.
Next, index mark the clutch bell. Use the tire valve and measure precisely how many spins of the clutch bell is produced by exactly one complet revolution of the rear wheel. If you count more than 9 turns of the bell, I'd say your actual gearing is limiting your top speed. If you count 8 or 8.5 or so, your scooter at 70ccs should be capable of 55 at least.
If not, then the belt isn't achieving optimal "overdrive", your RPM is limited by something (ECM or Pipe?), or it's just down on power.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Madman
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Sym dd w/ hona dio engine i need help please!

Post by Madman »

Yeah the stock speedo goes to 90km and I can reach that but I doubt it's accuracy I recon it maxes out at about 75-80 real speed!
SYM dd
50mm 82cc KABOOOOOMMM
Strengthend crank
V8 typhoon
Malossi clutch springs yellow
Datona +20% center spring
kitako type x variator
Oko28mm
CT intake
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

oh right mine goes up to 80km/h
Wheelman i measured the clutch to wheel turn before its about 7.4 maybe 7.5. and i tried it on a long road, got about 57mph i reckon but going one way it was a bit slower, i reckon it cld be down to it being cold, engine not warmed up and wind, what do you think? ive had better out of it before on a nice summers day
oh and whats ECM?
also do you know if the tecnigas exhausts come restricted?

thankyou
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Eengine Ccontrol Mmodule. American Honda never saw fit to equip US-bound scooters with a hard-wired speed or RPM limited unit, but it has been said that Dio models had such party-pooping circuitry.

Ignore the speedometer behind the Lexan panel,or assume roughly a 10-percent optimistic outlook.

No aftermarket "performance" pipe is likely to feature any intentional "limiter", but others have stated that your pipe is more Show than Go. Perhaps that is the reason it is so inexpensive. Low demand despite the Chromey goodness, because word is out that it performs little better than stock.
I was attracted to it for looks and cost reasons too, but can only quote others' opinions, never having owned one.

For your build to go no faster than 57 with 7.5:1 gearing, something I mentioned earlier is under-achieving. Can't say which without your trial-and-error.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

ok the exhaust isnt that cheap, its £91 and mine isnt chrome, also here in england most of the exhausts come restricted its to do with the law i think. the guy at the garage told me thr was no restrictors in it but i dont know whether to take his word for it, would the restrictor be in the silencer part and i can get better speed than 57mph i think, it varies on a lot of conditions.
anyway what do you suggest i do, buy a better exhaust? what about this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-exh ... 6302499442 ?

thanks again
Sym DD
72cc Polini Corsa
Tecnigas Next R exhaust
OKO 21mm carb
CT intake manifold
Bando racing belt

60+mph
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's hard to tell much from a pic. The diameter of the head pipe is a key factor. It has to match your displacement and/or RPM goals. I had one such chamber pipe that worked fairly well at 78ccs, but didn't fare as well on a 90cc ministroker build.

PhonGeer makes bar-none the best bang-for-your-buck exhausts in my own experience. V8 units are reputed to work well too, but again, it all depends on the header size.

The Pacific rim, including Hawai'i, is teeming with enthusiasts and Plenty O' Parts for them. On the Continent, I'd think the better bets would be Italy and Germany. You might look up VTCycles in Hawai'i (they have a website...) and talk to Steve about shipping a PG to Snigglebottom-Upon-Trent. The Long worked well for me but its lightweight construction didn't hold up well to Deepinnaharta potholes. The Short works just about every bit as well or better, but not enough time to hammer it to the breaking point.

Maybe before you go to the trouble of ordering up expensive exhausts, try some tuning experimentation?
Wheelman-111
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

thanks but ive contacted vt cycles and they dont deliver to the uk, another website u can only use paypal on and my mum or dad dont have a paypal account, and most v8s on ebay also dont deliver to the uk so its quite hard to try n find one thts good, not too expensive and able to buy in the uk. it goes a good enough speed for me now 55+ so im not too bothered. i mainly use it to go school and meeting friends and stuff. when i finish school though in just under 2 years i might get a gilera runner and just max tune it.
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

actually its a bit faster than i thought, i got like 60mph out of it today and it passed MOT :) so im leaving it now. thanks everyone for the help
Sym DD
72cc Polini Corsa
Tecnigas Next R exhaust
OKO 21mm carb
CT intake manifold
Bando racing belt

60+mph
305elite
Spree
Spree

Post by 305elite »

Sorry for the late response....my technigas did not come restricted
01 Elite Sr
72cc Polini Corsa
21mm Pwk carb
V8 Typhoon exh
8:44:1 gears
305elite
Spree
Spree

Post by 305elite »

O yea and by the way do not buy that pipe off eBay...my friend had one that I just removed for him...poorly made...very loud....and barely performed
01 Elite Sr
72cc Polini Corsa
21mm Pwk carb
V8 Typhoon exh
8:44:1 gears
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

ok yh im just leavin mine now