Pod Filter Problem

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Pod Filter Problem

Post by jeremydde »

Hi, I have a 2000 Dio with the mods listed in my signature. The problem is that the scooter bogs down and won't accelerate if the filter
is installed. If you remove the filter, the scooter drives perfectly fine. Throttle response is crisp, and it drives absolutely perfect. I have been running
this setup for 2 years with the current jetting and parts with a pod filter, and it has always ran perfectly until recently. I have a CT dual reed manifold, that looks brand
new inside still. The reeds appear to be in great condition and close properly. The carb is spotless inside, but just to make sure I installed new jets.
I even had the bore re-honed, and threw in new rings. The plug looks like a deep brown color, so it definately not lean. It's making more power than before (Had 11,000km on the first set of rings). I just don't understand why I would need to down-jet the carb suddenly? I cleaned the pod filter too, but as soon as I install it the scooter bogs, smokes and then floods until it stalls. I have already installed a new spark plug and coil, just in case. I am thinking of installing a foam pod filter that's less restrictive. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jeremy
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Pod Filter Problem

Post by Bear45-70 »

Well, it is obviously the filter is choking the motor. Either get different filter that does not restrict the air flow as much or lean the carb out so the engine will run with that filter.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

Bear45-70 wrote:Well, it is obviously the filter is choking the motor. Either get different filter that does not restrict the air flow as much or lean the carb out so the engine will run with that filter.
True, this is obvious, but what I want to know is what could have changed? As I said this combo has worked for years. The filter doesn't seem that dirty. I washed it out thoroughly.

Jeremy
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

did you let it dry out good before you put it back on?if its wet still it will bogg the carb like how you explained.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

bakaracer wrote:did you let it dry out good before you put it back on?if its wet still it will bogg the carb like how you explained.
It sat for a few hours, and I blow dried it. It definately wasn't wet when I tried it out again. Just to clarify though, it bogged the scooter down before I washed it too. I'm reluctant to install smaller jets, so I'll try and get a foam filter for it instead.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Unknown material for the filter, but I'll assume it's open-cell polyurethane foam. Y'see, over time and fuel vapor contact that stuff turns into closed-cell polyurethane foam, just before it reverts to the primordial goo from whence it came. Ever take the airbox cover off a scooter that sat for >5 years, ya know?

Sorry you had to rebuild your scooter, but you might just have picked up a different filter first... :) Then again, any excuse to break out the tools.

Uhhh, whut's a Parmakit variator?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

jeremydde wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Well, it is obviously the filter is choking the motor. Either get different filter that does not restrict the air flow as much or lean the carb out so the engine will run with that filter.
True, this is obvious, but what I want to know is what could have changed? As I said this combo has worked for years. The filter doesn't seem that dirty. I washed it out thoroughly.

Jeremy
As strange as it sounds I would expect the exhaust to be partially plugged or you have a carburator issue causeing the motor to be lean.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

Bear45-70 wrote: As strange as it sounds I would expect the exhaust to be partially plugged or you have a carburator issue causeing the motor to be lean.
I have looked at the carb carefully, and everything seems to be fine. The float measured out to 19mm-20mm and moves freely within the chamber. I can't find any vacuum leaks, and all the manifold bolts are indeed tight. Do you think it's possible that the Phongeer pipe got plugged? It's pretty much an empty chamber. Judging by the sound and the weight of it, I wouldn't doubt it if it was completely open inside. Also, it's definately too rich. The smoke pouring out the back when I install a filter, and the tears in my eyes confirm that!
Wheelman-111 wrote: Greetings:

Unknown material for the filter, but I'll assume it's open-cell polyurethane foam. Y'see, over time and fuel vapor contact that stuff turns into closed-cell polyurethane foam, just before it reverts to the primordial goo from whence it came. Ever take the airbox cover off a scooter that sat for >5 years, ya know?

Sorry you had to rebuild your scooter, but you might just have picked up a different filter first... :) Then again, any excuse to break out the tools.

Regarding the Parmakit Variator:
http://www.parmakit.com/cpz22/jsp/index.jsp

This is the type of filter I have installed:
It was a good time to re-ring anyways. It feels much better with new rings, like brand new. The problem still persists however.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

jeremydde wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote: As strange as it sounds I would expect the exhaust to be partially plugged or you have a carburator issue causeing the motor to be lean.
I have looked at the carb carefully, and everything seems to be fine. The float measured out to 19mm-20mm and moves freely within the chamber. I can't find any vacuum leaks, and all the manifold bolts are indeed tight. Do you think it's possible that the Phongeer pipe got plugged? It's pretty much an empty chamber. Judging by the sound and the weight of it, I wouldn't doubt it if it was completely open inside.
Well, something changed and a partially plugged passage in the carb is next to impossible to see, if at all. You need to squirt either carb cleaner or WD-40 thru all the passages to make sure they are clear.

The exhaust is easy to see if you pull it off, but just assuming it is clear proves nothing and eliminates nothing.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

Bear45-70 wrote: Well, something changed and a partially plugged passage in the carb is next to impossible to see, if at all. You need to squirt either carb cleaner or WD-40 thru all the passages to make sure they are clear.

The exhaust is easy to see if you pull it off, but just assuming it is clear proves nothing and eliminates nothing.
Fair enough, I'll inspect the exhaust pipe. Does anyone know if muriatic acid will take the varnish off the pipe? I've cleaned pipes with this acid before, but never a varnished one. I had the carb apart in great detail. Carb cleaner did pass through all small passages. I never store the scooter for the winter with fuel in it. Just to be certain though I'll try a full dismantle and clean it again. I've had this carb on and off the scooter 3 times this week already. I'm getting pretty good at removing, dismantling, reassembly, and reinstallation.

Also, my CHT's haven't changed from before when the scooter was running well to now. Under WOT the temperature hovers
at 125 degrees celcius. That's if I'm riding pretty hard. Driving through town the temp sits around 100 degrees C or so. Also, I checked
the new plug, and it's turning dark brown. It definately has plenty of fuel. I rode it WOT last night with no filter on for about 20min. I didn't do
a proper plug chop after WOT, but I don't think theres a problem there. The jets haven't been downsized, and the temperature is normal too.

Jeremy
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

A new foam airfilter has seemed to fix the problem. Runs exactly as it used to.

Jeremy
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Yup, good call. UNI filters work vastly better than gauze type on these setups
projects galore :nerd:
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

jeremydde wrote:
I have looked at the carb carefully, and everything seems to be fine. The float measured out to 19mm-20mm and moves freely within the chamber. I can't find any vacuum leaks, and all the manifold bolts are indeed tight. Do you think it's possible that the Phongeer pipe got plugged? It's pretty much an empty chamber. Judging by the sound and the weight of it, I wouldn't doubt it if it was completely open inside. Also, it's definately too rich. The smoke pouring out the back when I install a filter, and the tears in my eyes confirm that!
Wheelman-111 wrote: Greetings:

Regarding the Parmakit Variator:
http://www.parmakit.com/cpz22/jsp/index.jsp

This is the type of filter I have installed:
It was a good time to re-ring anyways. It feels much better with new rings, like brand new. The problem still persists however.
For moped air filtration, stay away from those cone type filters, the surface area and the breathe-ability of them isn't enough to feed a 72cc. I'm not a fan of the K&N types as they seem to restrict the engine quite badly, glad you found the solution with a UNI filter.

Your CHT's are very low, what kind of climate (ambient temps) are you riding in? Is it still winter (thus cold) in Vancouver? (sorry being in Hawaii means I'm negligent to climates.) I had to read your post twice since most CHT's I'm used to seeing reads in F instead of C. 125C is around 257F, 100C is around 212F. There's a specific reason why I don't rely on plug chops in favor of reading the mixture ring but I'll save that for later. For now I'd like to know what spark plug you're using (so I can determine the heat range) which greatly affects the appearance of the insulator. It's very possible to have the correct color on the insulator and still be either too lean or too rich. For colder climates should use a hotter range plug, hotter climates colder range, etc.

Brainbuster: This is just a brainbuster for you think about. A bike with a hotter plug and rich fuel mixture will result in a perfect plug chop color reading. A bike with a colder plug and lean fuel mixture will result in perfect plug chop color reading.

Back to the temps, 100C isn't even the operating temp for coolant on a watercooled bike. On bikes in temperate climates, 100C is for temps of an air cooled engine that's been sitting idling with no load for a while. 125C is around the temps for normal city/urban riding under mild loads, 150C for 50mph riding, 175C for full power run at max speed against the wind. Keep in minds that these temps are for temperate areas like Hawaii, Philippines, and most of the mid west. Humidity makes jetting a b*tch to tune and altitude changes affect air density. If you're above sea level (over 1500-2000ft), the bike starts to run rich as opposed to being at sea level so temps go down. Your jetting seems dead on the main jet for sea level 72cc engines.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

The average ambient temperature here in Vancouver right now is between 20-35 degrees celcius. 20 degrees at night, and in the 30s during the day. This is at sea level too.
I am currently running an NGK BR6HS plug. I have been running 6's for a while now without a problem. I was riding the scooter pretty hard the other day and I was hitting 128 degrees C (262F) while at speed. Once I slowed down it rose to around 140C (284F) until it cooled down after cruising lightly for abit to around 110C (230F). Its always been cool like this. Before I installed the oko carb and pg pipe the temp was never higher than around 105C(221F) wide open for over an hour! Either I'm really rich, or something isn't right. It does around 65-70mph too (GPS verified) so it is running quite well. I tested the CHT probe in a boiling pot yesterday after reading about burnt_toast's temps, and the gauge matched the multimeter I was testing with.

Jeremy
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

A 6? :shock: B8HS is heat range recommended for most kitted rides, a 6 is only for stock bores
projects galore :nerd: