performance exhaust?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

stevieapollo
Noob
Noob

performance exhaust?

Post by stevieapollo »

hello i was looking and cant really find any performance mufflers or exhausts for my 85 spree. can any1 point me in the right direction..any help would be awesome. Im lookin for anything that will give me a little more power then the stock exhaust.

thanks

*apollo*
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: performance exhaust?

Post by Bear45-70 »

Maybe because no one makes one that will work.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

correct, no bolt on pipes are made.

if you want one best thing in past has been to get a pocketbike 50cc chamber pipe and mod it to fit the stock spree header, some have seen slight gains
projects galore :nerd:
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

burnt_toast wrote:correct, no bolt on pipes are made.

if you want one best thing in past has been to get a pocketbike 50cc chamber pipe and mod it to fit the stock spree header, some have seen slight gains
i thought the pocketbikes were all 30cc...???
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

not willing or able to spring for a REAL pipe for my Aero i have less than 100 dollar invested in including tires(i do get a discount) i decided to cobble together a pipe from a KX65
spare exhaust i had laying around.

didn't spend a dime on it...
i know it looks like it but i got a kick out of doing it and it still buries the speedo though it does take a few extra seconds too do so.i may try a bigger main and see it makes a difference before i stick the quieter stock pipe back on...

carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

That looks good.But those abrupt changes in exhaust gas flow direction,at the transition to the up swept chamber and in the middle of the 180 (at the rear) will seriously hamper the e.g. flow. If you could smooth them out it would help allot.Maybe have the chamber run down low(more or less parallel to the ground) then do a 180,back over the the chamber(kind of a spiral).You've seen the "race" exhaust style I'm trying to explain.I think you could rework the pipe into that configuration without any sharp(or at least kept to min.)changes in e.g. flow.I think that pipe could be made to preform really well.Good luck.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
'78 ranchero,'77 pinto wagon,'64 t bird,'48 ford tudor,'31 ford furdor
and they all need lots of love !!!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Switchbacks, Schmitchbacks! You have overcome many challenges in building it I am sure. You did an incredible job. It looks businesslike, exotic, menacing.

As for output; the proof is in the performance! Does it work? Should you be foolish enough to decide to sell it, I'm sure you'll have a line forming to the right. I'd offer right now if I had an SE/05 in the stable. It'd be fun to try to tune to it. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

carp wrote:That looks good.But those abrupt changes in exhaust gas flow direction,at the transition to the up swept chamber and in the middle of the 180 (at the rear) will seriously hamper the e.g. flow. If you could smooth them out it would help allot.Maybe have the chamber run down low(more or less parallel to the ground) then do a 180,back over the the chamber(kind of a spiral).You've seen the "race" exhaust style I'm trying to explain.I think you could rework the pipe into that configuration without any sharp(or at least kept to min.)changes in e.g. flow.I think that pipe could be made to preform really well.Good luck.Carp
I agree the square corner in the pipe is causing a lose of good pulse movement throught the exhaust and hurts savenging. Somebody has to be able to bend you a pipe to fix that. Otherwise a nice setup.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

Don't get me wrong guys.I liked so much I just pick one up on ebay.I think this has potential to be a good cheap mod.Carp
'98 sa50(thanks evailone),'95 sa 50,'86 spree(thanks wikked_spree57) ,'82 nu,'81 puch,'80 nc,(2)'78nc
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

That is one nice pipe. Makes me think that my pipe is too long. I wouldn't worry about kinks as long as the area doesnt change much. At least that is what Jennings said 35 years ago.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

will any other scooter carbs bolt on the Aero that are larger in bore? remember BUDGET build!
carp
Spree
Spree

Post by carp »

elitedio wrote:That is one nice pipe. Makes me think that my pipe is too long. I wouldn't worry about kinks as long as the area doesnt change much. At least that is what Jennings said 35 years ago.
No, Jennings said "sharp bends" are not all that detrimental but a "kink" will disrupt exhaust gas flow.I just looked it up and there was a illustration showing this problem.Again I think he is really on to a good idea.I hope mine comes in this next week.Carp
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

i'n confused here. are we talking about the stinger section going onto the silencer?
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

carp wrote:That looks good.But those abrupt changes in exhaust gas flow direction,at the transition to the up swept chamber and in the middle of the 180 (at the rear) will seriously hamper the e.g. flow. If you could smooth them out it would help allot.Maybe have the chamber run down low(more or less parallel to the ground) then do a 180,back over the the chamber(kind of a spiral).You've seen the "race" exhaust style I'm trying to explain.I think you could rework the pipe into that configuration without any sharp(or at least kept to min.)changes in e.g. flow.I think that pipe could be made to preform really well.Good luck.Carp
o.k. i see what you are referring to. the stinger section i can see your point- maybe. i somehow(seat of the pants) doubt for a scooter that it really matters-especially a bone stock motor.it just plain looks bad but the idea was to use what i had-i went to Lowes and searched ever isle for something suitable but found nothing.i suppose i could cut a few more pieces and fix the unsightly kink.

the other section of the pipe...
have you noticed dirt bike chambers?
they go every whicha away.
i cut the KX65 pipe in 3 places to fit it in as it were...