2000 Honda Elite SA50P - Gear Swap

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

shiba
Goped
Goped

2000 Honda Elite SA50P - Gear Swap

Post by shiba »

I'm in the middle of a gear swap!! YAY!!

I'm taking photos and plan on writing a how-to after i get done...

right now everything is off, and i just have to take the gear to a local honda powersports dealer to have them press the old gear off, and the new one on!

just a few questions while i'm at it, so far nothing has gone wrong (except i've shed a little blood, like always)...

1) Is there a tool (preferably really cheap, think HF) that would make taking the rear wheel off much eaiser?? I used a socket, and a hammer, and jammed the wheel w/ a HF pry bar, but i wasent really a big fan of doing that; is there an electric impact gun that would do the trick, or an air impact that would work? (from what people have told me, HF's air impacts arent really that good, like not even lug nuts off car tires)

2) Is there anything that i should make special note of when putting everything back together, something that i might forget that would be bad for the scooter??

3) Should i just use the recommended 10W-40 4stroke oil for the trans? otherwise a friend is a amsoil dealer, and he said that he has all different weights i could use (even racing trans oil)

4) Is there some special picture that anyone wants me to get up close? Or just take in general?

Hopefully i will drop the gear off when they open, and maybe they can have done by the end of the day, that would be ideal! Its near my dads and we planned on going bowling or something then lunch, so hopefully everything will fall right into place!

Thanks!
~Shiba

p.s. If anyone has an outline for what a good how-to looks like, please send it to me so mine can be awesome!
2000 Honda Elite SA50P (AF16E)
Current Mods: 72cc Malossi BBK, Unrestricted, OKO Vari, OKO Ramp, [9g OKO/ 7.5G ???] Rollers, #82 Upjet, ASN 9:1 gears

HELP ME WITH MY TRANSMISSION TUNING!!!
Wheelman-111

Re: 2000 Honda Elite SA50P - Gear Swap

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

1. Removing that axle nut isn't all that bad after the first time. It does weld itself on if it's not removed for several years, but applied with correct torque it can be coaxed off with nothing more than a long-handled ratchet or short "cheater" pipe.

2. Be aware that some aftermarket countershafts are a mm or two longer than stock, requiring the elimination or thinning of some of the stock thrust washers. On my 2001 there was a plastic one that proved too thick, and was binding the countershaft. Installed instead with a second (spare) metal washer which provided the right thickness. A generous slathering of grease to the case cover gasket might permit a second or more disassemblies without needing to buy another one. Other than that, just keep track of all your parts and make sure you don't forget a snap-ring before you torque everything down. (Like a certain Wheel-related person I know... :oops: )

3. You can pretty much use Mazola corn oil in this low-stress application. Leftover motor oil from an oil change is fine. You only need 90cc or 3 Fl. Oz.

4. There are several gear swap threads in Tech Docs.

Best of luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
shiba
Goped
Goped

Post by shiba »

Wheelman-111 wrote:2. Be aware that some aftermarket countershafts are a mm or two longer than stock, requiring the elimination or thinning of some of the stock thrust washers. On my 2001 there was a plastic one that proved too thick, and was binding the countershaft. Installed instead with a second (spare) metal washer which provided the right thickness. A generous slathering of grease to the case cover gasket might permit a second or more disassemblies without needing to buy another one. Other than that, just keep track of all your parts and make sure you don't forget a snap-ring before you torque everything down. (Like a certain Wheel-related person I know... :oops: )

i checked, and the aftermarket one was slightly shorter...not by much...

i just put everything half way back together, and the clutch shaft is fairly hard to turn, like i cant turn it by hand, but if i put the nut on there, i can turn it with the wrench with a tad bit of pressure...and that is with the cover bolts hand tightened...(i cant find any torque specs at all)...

i'm gonna go out and try to remove the thrust washer and see if it helps any...
Current Mods: 72cc Malossi BBK, Unrestricted, OKO Vari, OKO Ramp, [9g OKO/ 7.5G ???] Rollers, #82 Upjet, ASN 9:1 gears

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Here's the problem:

Although the total length of the countershaft may be the same or even shorter, the splines and shoulders aren't in exactly the same places. When you tighten down the cover, it pinches the countershaft. You cannot run it that way. Sort out the washers. See the Ruima countershaft on the left in the attached pic. Note the location of the splines for the #2 gear, as well as the wider/thicker #3 gear which is integral with the shaft. You can see how it might bind if you attempt to fit it into the same space as the stock countershaft on the right.
Attachments
Gearcomp2.jpg
Gearcomp2.jpg (24.08 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
shiba
Goped
Goped

Post by shiba »

ahh, i understand...makes sense...i remember reading that somewhere now...

and that would make sense y it was so hard to turn...

and y it seems like there was absolutly 0 (zero) speed gain....

now to my next question...

i have all the washers in there right now...and obviously have to crack the transmission open again...

is there a washer that i can safely remove?? i think i read somewhere that the plastic washer was the one to shave down; any recommendations on how to do that, or how much to shave off?

i also remember reading somewhere that someone (i think you wheelman) found a washer for another scooter that was perfect. perhaps i could shave mine down or run with out one until i can get the perfect one??

thanks!!

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

You can shave the nylon washer down or just order another thin metal washer and replace nylon with the metal. You want #11 on front and back replacing #9.

2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

shiba wrote:i'm gonna go out and try to remove the thrust washer and see if it helps any...
NO, NO, NO....gear will dig into case and then you will have to clean out the aluminum shavings :shock:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
shiba
Goped
Goped

Post by shiba »

d***....any way i could find one locally and not have to place an order for just that....

guess i'll have to back out to the workshop ASAP and put that washer back on... :()

any recommendations on how to shave it down evenly? sand paper work ok?

Thanks!!

~Shiba

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

In a hurry huh? :lol:. I've never tried shaving the nylon washer since the metal washer works perfect but sandpaper would work, good luck and don't sand your finger tips off :wink:.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
shiba
Goped
Goped

Post by shiba »

evilone wrote:In a hurry huh? :lol:. I've never tried shaving the nylon washer since the metal washer works perfect but sandpaper would work, good luck and don't sand your finger tips off :wink:.
oh yea, cuz right now, i'm not getting ANY speed improvement at all, no acceleration improvement...nothing...

and idk if its because of this washer....

plus i dont really wanna order a.50$ washer from honda and pay 1000% more on just shipping...

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I'd try the sandpaper then and see what it does. I guess i'm lucky i can order online at 40% off and pick up locally.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

just take the good washer to a hardware store and match it up w/ one they sell :thumbwink:
shiba
Goped
Goped

Post by shiba »

i'll get a new washer tomorrow at a hardware store tomorrow....

but i sanded down the washer to be thinner...and put that in....

BUT... the scooter STILL seems as if it has absolutely no performance gain...

any ideas y?? i cant think of any, i mean its just a gear...it should just WORK...its a 'simple machine' kinda thing....idk

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

No performance? The gears should give you more top end and slightly hurt your take off. Did you get higher speed at all?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

It might be shifting early then your motor don't have the ooomph to get it going. Did you try lighter rollers? Try dropping 3 grams each time and see what happens.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.