Aero performance question..

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

aerorob
Elite
Elite

Aero performance question..

Post by aerorob »

Hey everyone, i am new to the forum and pretty new to scooters, i have some questions about my 1985 aero 50.
when i bought it it was sluggish and * while accelerating especially up incline, so i got a keli vari kit. The kit helped out aton with how the scooter got up to speed, and now i can easily cruise at about 42 gps confirmed. (i weigh 140)
My question is thats about as fast as it will go, downhill or not. i am happy with the speed, it just seems like there is more left even when im around 40. the RPM isnt all reved up, so i was wondering if there is anything else i could do to get a couple more mph out of my scooter, because i know it can with me on it.
thanks, Rob
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Re: Aero performance question..

Post by drizzle »

the stock gears limit it to lower 40's, unfortunately.
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

thanks, and im guessing there arent gears for the nb50?
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

You could try some rollers a little lighter and see if that moves the power band to a spot that can help you power through that ceiling.

42 gps is pretty good for an aero. In fact, i'm not sure how much better you can get, but 8g rollers or so might be worth a test. Are you running the 9gs that come with the keli? Stock ramp plate?

All in all, you are talking about squeezing a mph or so more out of there. The fact that you cant go any faster down hill makes me think that the stock borehas reached rev limits with the stock pipe.

Dio gears might be able to give you some more top end without needing a bore, but lots of work and not a lot of hard and fast answers. There are gears built for it, but they give a ratio of about 7.8:1 which is too tall for a stock bore.

hope this helps.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

thanks Pibbs. yeah im running with the 9g rollers it came with. stock ramp plate though. i might try the Polini ramp plate that comes with a few roller wieghts and try it out. If nothing happens im just happy that i have a reliable scooter that will go over 40 that is still 50cc..
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

he's hooked. aftermarket guys go ahead. feeding frenzy. :naughty:
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ack-tually, I can get you a couple MPH for $20 or so. That's only $10 for each MPH gained. In terms of the Speed/Dollar ratio, this is unheard of in all of Scootopia. All you need to do is....

You ready?

Buy a 90/90x10 rear tire. The MotorcycleSuperstore.com website has the Pirelli SL26 for just over $20 last time I bought one. It represents a 5% upgear compared to stock 2.75 tires.

If you have about $75, an incredible stroke of luck, and access to a heavy press you can install Malossi 67-6458 gear kit, available in any ratio you want. As long as it's 7.83:1. If you do that, you will need to bring a little more money to the table to produce the power you'll need to drive them. OK a lot more money.

Welcome. Your Aero is a classic and looks great there in the Boudoir. I take it you are single? :)

Mods for the '85 are just a bit more challenging than some scooters, but can be done. Feel free to ax for our help as you slide down the Slippery Slope of Modding. We're all here to help drag you down... :D
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Ack-tually, I can get you a couple MPH for $20 or so. In terms of the Speed/Dollar ratio, this is unheard of in all of Scootopia. All you need to do is....
You ready?
Buy a 90/90x10 rear tire.
it may be a huge pain to mount on the rim, but the sl26's that wheelman recommended to me helped a ton in the handling dept. the only draw back is that your scoot does not sit as high on the center stand.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

hmmmn.. might just be a market for the side stand additions afterall... :hi:
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
Wheelman-111

Embarassing Blast From the Past...

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

i would go to a larger tire, but i already have a 3.5, and that hardly clears, so unfortunately thats all i can do with that :D
Wheelman-111

Big Tars

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What brand of 3.50 tire do you have? They don't all fit and the 411 on one that does is valuable. Post it and I'll Sticky with Props. Snap a pic or two and achieve Scooter Immortality.
Wheelman-111
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

its just a kenda tube type 3.5 inch tire. to fit it you have to take off the little cylinder head cover and do a bit of cutting to the back of it where it would interfere with the tire. ill post pictures as soon as i figure out how to. its a tight fit.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If your pics are saved on your current computer, click "Reply". Scroll down below the Submit button. Click on Browse. Find your pic. Click Upload Attachment. You can place the pic "Inline" with that button.
AeroMetroWheel.jpg
AeroMetroWheel.jpg (299.09 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
That's a 90/90 which is wider but not as tall as the 3.5. Pirelli brand SL26 fit without mods.

Be careful opening holes in the cooling shroud. Should be no problem with stock cylinder but a BBK needs all the cooling air it can get, circulating correctly. Also imagine that tiny tire spinning at several hundred RPM. Centrifugal growth can make a tight fit tighter, even put on the brakes for you. :surprise: It can happen going around a corner so exercise caution or keep a spare pair of underwear in the glovebox. :oops:
Wheelman-111
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Wow, yet another sweet looking '85 Aero in Oregon! I'm afraid my poor Millenium Aero will be living up to its name as the junkiest looking BUT fastest (while still being 50cc) in the state :woot:...if I ever get it finished

Good buy though, doesn't sound like you need to hear that from anyone now though. You've been infected with scooterphilia!
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold