pg long pipe verse short pipe question

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Rob
BMX
BMX

pg long pipe verse short pipe question

Post by Rob »

i was wondering if someone can tell me the diffrents between the pg long pipe and pg short pipe ?

i know its a shorter pipe but what does it do to performance wise between the two pipes
2001 honda elite s 50cc
1995 honda elite s 72cc
Wheelman-111

Re: pg long pipe verse short pipe question

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

According to Storm,
it isnt the size, its what you do with it after all eh?
Have a look in General Chit-Chat; The Sprattitude thread.

:b2t: Lots of posts from the Gifted Gearheads praise the PG Long to the skies. I have not seen any about the short, so maybe Storm's theory is flawed...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I hear pg long = more top speed, pg short = better for acceleration but less top end.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

evilone wrote:I hear pg long = more top speed, pg short = better for acceleration but less top end.
If the long and short are referencing the length of the pipes then it should be the other way around. Long = better acceleration and short = better top speed. Basic exhaust theory says this.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Just what i was told, i didn't design them :|
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Bear45-70 wrote:
evilone wrote:I hear pg long = more top speed, pg short = better for acceleration but less top end.
If the long and short are referencing the length of the pipes then it should be the other way around. Long = better acceleration and short = better top speed. Basic exhaust theory says this.
oh BUT its not, my fair feathered bear friend

the "LONG" version is a fuller expansion type pipe, while the "SHORT" is simply a canister type pipe for low end torque

your assumptions deceive you, think outside the box :hi:
projects galore :nerd:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

burnt_toast wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
oh BUT its not, my fair feathered bear friend

the "LONG" version is a fuller expansion type pipe, while the "SHORT" is simply a canister type pipe for low end torque

your assumptions deceive you, think outside the box :hi:
Then why the * call one "long and the other "short" if they aren't long and short versions? Oh and I said "If the long and short are referencing the length of the pipes........". You just choose to ignore the "IF". I assumed nothing as the "If" so clearly says. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

maybe not assumed, but generalized on past pretenses which did not match up to the modern dio nomenclature of Phongeer products :thumbwink:

easy there big fella, no sense in crying about it :b2t:

The long and short is simply a reference to the pipe name, per Hawaii's terms through dio history.

PG Long, note chambered section

and PG Short, note canister style design and overall stubbier size
(NOTE: this is NOT exactly PG Short, but very similar if anyone has a pg short pic on hand, please attach)
Attachments
DSC00213.jpg
DSC00213.jpg (294.37 KiB) Viewed 9908 times
projects galore :nerd:
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Basic tuning of anything, even acoustics. Long means lower tuning.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

Rob wrote:i was wondering if someone can tell me the diffrents between the pg long pipe and pg short pipe ?

i know its a shorter pipe but what does it do to performance wise between the two pipes
I am not feeling good so here is a short answer

I know 2 people 1 with polini bore 1 with jiangwayne bore
bolth switched from long to short bolth picked up mph
add bolth sold there longs

pg short
pg long
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Bottom line is one should work better for lower rpm and the other for higher rpm. Agreeing with johnny248 here that the longer would be better for lower rpm. But who knows?
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Short is marketed as a better all-around pipe, while the Long is an all-out Racing exhaust. Or so says the Propaganda.
I have owned both, but I was pretty noob-ish (maybe still am?) when I owned the Long. That exhaust and my ham-fisted early tuning experiments achieved over 65 MPH on a couple of builds, including a 90cc/51mm ministroker. But at the time I remember thinking it was unnecessarily LOUD! I had the tail section re-welded once because the Mean Streets of Deepinnaharta caused its innards to rattle apart and break at the welds, making it even LOUDER! I eventually gave up on the Long because I felt it was too fragile for my needs.

Some time, and perhaps a few pipes later I got the PG Short. None of mine - I owned 2...) ever broke. The Short on a Corsa with a 26mm carb went 71.4MPH @ over 10K RPM with fair winds astern.

Perhaps the PG Long - a favorite of budget-minded Hawai'ians - and more or better tuning is faster than the Short, but I never got to prove it. But one thing's for sure; It's LOUDER!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

I have both and love the pg short. I have a long on the shelf, and a v8. The short has not be removed other than to double check. The v8 spanks that pg short on wheelies on my bike, but the v8 lacks sufficient flow for highway speeds. The long as stated is best when used in the full throttle position. The short has much better mid range and a decent top end on my 50mm BBK. I love the v8 still, a very nice pipe and easy ears.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I have never been a fan of the long. I run the short with good results on the stock cylinders but as cruising has said the 0 to 20 is a bit sketchy. The short and long have been said to be good for 90cc as well which may be why they have a bit of soft power delivery.
I like the shorts but prefer true chamber with external silencers.
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

I'm trying to figure these pipes out. As far as I understand tuning 2 stroke pedal mopeds, a longer pipe equates to a later signal and the shorter equates to an earlier signal.

What I mean by the signal is the time it takes for the sound wave to bounce back to the exhaust port.

Therefore a later signal takes longer to bounce back and hit at a higher rpm and the shorter makes its power better at a lower rpm.

Am I way off?

Oh, and is anybody running one of these on a stock cylinder? I eventually get a corsa.