ZX trans how-to

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Re: ZX trans how-to

Post by DirtyE »

Thanks for having patience with me guys. I've been on a lot of forums, and a lot of times the veterans just post, "don't you know how to use the search function"
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

Could some one give me some input on if my belt is in the proper spot in my driven pulley it seems to be riding a little low in the sheaves
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.57 KiB) Viewed 20249 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 20249 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That looks pretty good. One of your pictures shows how the rear sheaves curve outward near the rim. If the belt rides any higher it won't make full contact and likely will slip on take-off. That gets the revs up, but the hot belt won't grip properly again until it cools. Is that a Met 661 or a 654mm belt? The 669 rides right at the rim, but whatever gearing advantage that confers is lost to slippage. Carefully evaluate the front pulley too; shim in or out to get close to center as possible without losing contact with the drive face.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

I'm not sure what size the belt I have, it is a kn-kikaku 7011-L-SS it doesn't have a size on the belt or the package it came in. And it does seam like it slips a tiny bit once the belt warms up . I feel like a have the front pully lined up pretty well but I don't have any extra weights yet to tune, so I just have the ones that came with the malossi ruckus Variator.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The marks on the belt refer to some mysterious way of measuring down the midline halfway through the belt thickness. I run a fabric metric tape measure around mine and get a different number of mm from the markings on the belt, like 661 = 667 or somesuch. That is right about the right length for a ZX rear and a Malossi front. 669 works but runs a bit slack and slaps the engine case off-power, chafing the outer layer.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Anybody know if this works on the af05e for the elite/aero? I've read thru the thread but still not quite sure.... also if any body's looking for dio zx rear trans pulleys go to racingplanetusa.com they got em w a clutch put together ready to install for cheap.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

benji wrote:Anybody know if this works on the af05e for the elite/aero? I've read thru the thread but still not quite sure.... also if any body's looking for dio zx rear trans pulleys go to racingplanetusa.com they got em w a clutch put together ready to install for cheap.
I've ran a ZX in my af05e
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

What variator and belt? Stock gears or aftermarket, and what top speed did you get? I'm gonna do this on mine n I'm looking to see how fast it can get. I've heard rumors of 60-65 mph
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I've got some polini gears that are 7:1 I think and I've also got an 88 sa50 motor w the stock taller gears, I'm wondering what will do best.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Alas, at least with the '87 Aero, the splines on the stock crank are all but completely covered if a boss for the 18mm ZX belt is installed. I have read reports of a ZX belt drive fitted to an 05 engine, but it was never made clear in photos how it was done and how long until the crankshaft stripped.
Wheelman-111
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

This is true I've had multiple issues w malossi variator bosses, always end up using the stock (shorter) one
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

So w a dio vari or stock ruck vari and zx rear you need a zx belt, and for larger varios like the polini for ruckus needs the belts specified by wheelman and others ? Is there a definitive brand and model number that works well w this combo, or is it still trial n error? I'm fine w that, unless there's a tried-n-true way haha.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I just checked my pm's after being gone from this forum for years and to answer the questions about if I still had pics...no I do not, sorry.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.