ZX trans how-to

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

ZX trans how-to

Post by evilone »

[Editor's Preface:
The purpose of this mod is to improve the acceleration of Elites that have undergone gear swaps. Takeoff and pickup isn't a challenge with 12:1 gears, but as the ratios drop below 9.1:1 there is a noticeable decrease in acceleration. Stock pulley sizes give a 2.4:1 reduction ratio from the belt. By increasing the size of the rear pulley (and lengthening the belt to ride its rims...) you can get some of that low end back. This is a superb job of documenting the process. You Aftermarket sellers are encouraged to add sources for the parts needed to do the deed.]

This is the ZX trans swap how-to with a few tips. This is only info i collected from some different sources and i cannot test since winter is around the corner. Parts are off the Dio ZX, Kymco ZX50, or Sym DD50. Other parts may work but will focus on models listed. If anyone with a ZX trans wants to add some info or correct any mistakes i make please do. I didn't get a lot of feedback or info to do swap other than what's here.

FIRST IS PIC OF STOCK S PULLEYS VS. ZX PULLEYS.

THIS IS WHERE CASE NEEDS GROUND TO CLEAR BELT. iT'S OBVIOUS WHERE TO GRIND.

TOP GRINDS

BOTTOM GRINDS

PARTS NEEDED FOR SWAP. DRIVE BOSS, DRIVE PULLEY, REAR PULLEYS, AND BELT. PLEASE SEE PAGE 5 FOR DRIVE PULLEY UPDATE. IT APPEARS PULLEY IN PICTURE BELOW IS NOT OFF A ZX

I'M THROWING IN THIS PIC OF WHERE TO GRIND IF YOU WANT TO USE A RUCKUS VARIATOR

ALL ZX PARTS INSTALLED

IN TOP PICS YOU CAN SEE BELT RIDES LOW IN REAR PULLEYS AND HIGH IN FRONT PULLEYS. TO REMEDY THIS YOU CAN USE STOCK DRIVE PULLEY AND LONGER BELT. ZX BELT SIZE IS 654 X 18 X 30. LONGER BELT SIZE IS 669 X 18 X 30. OR YOU CAN USE THE ZX FRONT PULLEY WITH LONGER BELT (STOCK S FRONT PULLEY HAS A LIP ON IT WHICH LETS BELT RIDE LOWER IN THE FRONT, ZX FRONT PULLEY DOES NOT HAVE A LIP.

THESE PICS SHOW THE ZX REAR PULLEYS, ZX DRIVE BOSS, STOCK DRIVE PULLEY AND LONGER 669 X 18 X 30 BELT. NOTE BELT POSITION ON REAR PULLEY.

BELT CAN BE BOUGHT OFF EBAY FOR LESS THAN $20. JUST SEARCH 669 X 18 X 30.
HOPE THIS WRITE-UP HELPS AND MAYBE SOME OTHERS CAN PUT IN THEIR 2 CENTS. BY THE WAY, COVER WILL NEED SHIMMED TO CLEAR OR GET THICKER GASKET FROM ONE OF THE MODELS LISTED. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS SWAP RENDERS THE STARTER INOP SINCE THE DRIVE PULLEY IS FURTHER AWAY FROM STOCK LOCATION, I DO KNOW THE KICKER WILL WORK. THE ZX DRIVE BOSS IS 1/8th INCH LONGER AND YOU WILL END UP WITH 1/4 INCH WORTH OF SPLINES ON THE CRANK.

EDIT 12/4/09 If using Sym dd50 pulleys it is recommended to add 4-6 spot welds to reinforce weld, i had 8 spot welds done today. I think the Kymco pulleys have a good weld and shouldn't need reinforced. So...even if rear pulleys are Chinese you can remedy that!
Attachments
HPIM3359.jpg
HPIM3359.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 44090 times
Last edited by evilone on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:41 am, edited 9 times in total.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: ZX trans how-to

Post by mousewheels »

Great job evilone on the project - nice detailed pics clean parts too! :thumbsup:
Let's sticky this
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

:lol: I'm getting ready to tear engine down, clean the * out of it, possibly mini-stroke. I wanted to get this swap posted in case others wanted a winter project. Engine will be much nicer this spring :wink:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Evilone Goes Tubeless?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Are you running that 1.85 wheel tubeless?! :nervous:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

wheelman-111 wrote:Are you running that 1.85 wheel tubeless?!
No, there's a tube in there :). By the way that Michelin S1 3.5 x 10 is for sale, great condition but i ordered stock size Michelins. Offers?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

This is crap! Just joking, kick * job man! A lot of man hours and research went into this how-to. Can you recommend the belt brands and part numbers, as i know this was an issue for your build.

very nice write up. i'll be doing the same real soon on my Spree-Dio!

STICKY!!! FTW!
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Dude, i posted this crap 3 yrs ago, lack of respect will get you nothing, next you will post the high torque starter that i have been running for the past ten yrs. tell us about that research :lol:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

So where is your post. Oh I know use the search command. :woot:
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

maddog wrote:Dude, i posted this crap 3 yrs ago, lack of respect will get you nothing, next you will post the high torque starter that i have been running for the past ten yrs. tell us about that research
:lol: I new it was just a matter of time before the Maddog replied. No i don't care about your high torque starter and where is your write-up? I don't see it anywhere. And i don't know what you mean by "lack of respect" oh well :lol:

dem0nk1d, the longer belt is out of a GY6 which would be in Eton and Schwinn 50cc scooters.
I got mine from this Ebay member, lowest cost and fast shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scooter- ... leQ5fParts
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

ZX and MadDog

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I decided to search for the MadDog's input on the ZX conversion. I found this thread, but none started by the Mad One himself:

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... t=zx+trans

You certainly seem to know your stuff. Nobody's disrespected The Dog as far as I can tell. I for one would welcome your contributions.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

:lol: HaHa i was searching too so i could give credit to the Maddog. All i find are words, at least members can read AND see how to do the swap. And i too would welcome your contributions Maddog.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

OH btw what clutch bell are you using?

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

Also another idea is maybe someone can check if the Gy6 50cc or 150cc rear pulley will fit, or at least can get the specs on it.

http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_ga ... sembly.htm
http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_ga ... sembly.htm

it would be another option an possibly cheaper and easier to find the parts.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

dem0nk1d wrote:OH btw what clutch bell are you using?
:lol: Stock clutch bell that was painted with high temp paint then splashed with some various fluids. I was removing rear cover to access the gears and had a drain pan under it. Cover popped off and fell in drain pan splashing the bell which caused that paint effect, far out man :mrgreen:. I wanted to do the write-up with my motor cleaned up but that won't be till around April or May. So ya all gotta see through the grease and grime!

Not sure about the GY6 pulleys, i've spent enough on the parts i have so someone else will have to try it.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG