ZX trans how-to

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Re: ZX trans how-to

Post by dem0nk1d »

Here is the parts catalog / manual for the SYM DD50 scooter. Has all the listed parts numbers for the rear "ZX Rear Pulley"

I've linked the pdf to my site.

http://www.n0cturnal-labs.org/whitepape ... 05V1-A.pdf

I had to social engineer the whitepapers from SYM America. Enjoy!
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
95 Elite Restore Project for Wife
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

Round Two of this morning.

KYMCO ZX50
part# 2301A-KCX-9000

pulley assembly driven.

This is the whole rear unit include the clutch. Goes for 100.00 brand new.

http://www.kymcopartsonline.com/catalog ... ram_id=274

if your looking to do the ZX Trans swap this is it. Thanks for reading....
ADD TO STICKY
"Like I tell people all the time Speed cost money ..if you have to ask how much then most times your not going to do it !" -tru72

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

i got lost on the belt part...

what belt again?

and can i assume that the e start is disabled?

and what is the deal on the kick start gear mod?

or does it engage properly when you use the ZX front pulley plate
and drive boss ?
and also- once it's all together how far off the engine case do the covers sit? 1/8 "? 1/4" ?
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I plan on using the longer belt (669 X 18 X 30), or the recommended belt (654 X 18 X 30) can be used but i personally don't like how far down in rear pulleys it rides, it kinda defeats the purpose. As for the e-start, you can modify the teeth on the starter gear so it works, i've heard of it being done but i haven't gotten that far or tested anything. The kick start mod is simply shimming front cover 1/8". If you don't shim it the kick start gears in cover bind on front drive pulley. You shim 1/8" since new boss is 1/8" longer. I'm assuming if you could shim the starter 1/8" it would work fine too.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

All i wanna know is, where do you buy the ZX DRIVE BOSS, DRIVE PULLEY, REAR PULLEYS, AND BELT?

I've searched around and can't seem to find the ZX stuff. You aren't talking about the Kymco ZX, you're talking about DIO ZX right?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

dem0nk1d wrote:Round Two of this morning.

KYMCO ZX50
part# 2301A-KCX-9000

pulley assembly driven.

This is the whole rear unit include the clutch. Goes for 100.00 brand new.

http://www.kymcopartsonline.com/catalog ... ram_id=274

if your looking to do the ZX Trans swap this is it. Thanks for reading....
ADD TO STICKY
So is it the kymco ZX front and rear pulleys that you guys are swapping? That would make finding the parts easier. Does the kymoco ZX and elite share the same engine?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

you can use either the SYM / KYMCO setup. i've just added both parts manual to make it easier for one to buy all the needed parts. the drive boss is for the front pulley.

http://www.kymcopartsonline.com/catalog ... odel_id=12

part 92 on the diagram.

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
mookie
Elite
Elite

Post by mookie »

evilone wrote:I plan on using the longer belt (669 X 18 X 30), or the recommended belt (654 X 18 X 30) can be used but i personally don't like how far down in rear pulleys it rides, it kinda defeats the purpose. As for the e-start, you can modify the teeth on the starter gear so it works, i've heard of it being done but i haven't gotten that far or tested anything. The kick start mod is simply shimming front cover 1/8". If you don't shim it the kick start gears in cover bind on front drive pulley. You shim 1/8" since new boss is 1/8" longer. I'm assuming if you could shim the starter 1/8" it would work fine too.
i dont see a part number for the belts....
busting my knuckles on vices since
for long as i can remember
dem0nk1d
Elite
Elite

Post by dem0nk1d »

The Sym and Kymco "Kim Co" engine are pretty much Honda clones of the Honda DIO ZX.

now your question with parts

KYMCO setup would be the following part numbers.

zx 50 - pulley, drive assembly - 2301a-kcx-9000 "rear pulley with clutch"
zx 50 - drive face boss - 22105-kcx-w000 "drive boss"
zx 50 - face drive - 22102-gah-e100 "front pulley in front of variator"

Belt i'm not sure of..

--\\\Projects\\--
1982 Honda Passport
2013 Honda PCX 150
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Mookie wrote:i dont see a part number for the belts....
I just search Ebay for dio zx belt,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Di ... ccessories $20 shipped.

and just search the size of the longer belt if you want to use that. A search for 669 X 18 X 30 brought 7 results. I got mine from this guy, cheapest and shipped real fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scooter- ... leQ5fParts
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

ZX Belts

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

My local Kymco dealer can get me the ZX parts, but no word yet on how much he'll charge for them. I'm looking to get back the stock-gear take-off while keeping the same (or dare I hope for... Better?) top end. I plan to open up Flash III and do some belt cavity shaving while I wait. I'm wondering if I need the bigger variator as well as the larger Driven pulley?

Have you run both 654 and 669 belts? Which do you prefer, and why?

Thank you very much for doing - AND SHARING this research. If you ever need to know something about oddball Arreche, CV or Mik carbs, feel free to axt.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

wheelman wrote:I'm wondering if I need the bigger variator as well as the larger Driven pulley
I don't think you need different/bigger variator. I know alot use the Keli with the ZX trans. I think you could even use stock variator.
Have you run both 654 and 669 belts? Which do you prefer, and why?
I haven't run either yet, I'm in Michigan not deepinnaharta. By the time i got all my info, parts, and tips it was pretty much end of my riding season. I'm hoping you mainland warmer weather riders (wheelman, dem0nk1d, mookie) do the swap and post results.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

the 669x18x30 stuff, if your looking for stock cheapo crappo stuff, a driven pulley and a front turn gear, and drive boss and the belts to make the switch, well, check out chinese scooters, they run 669x18x30 belts. and i used to have one, but i tore up every clutch, and someone cut the cable off it on my front porch freaking couple of pos. good hope they like the lemon.
but the clutches are 108 mm and i got clutch bells for tehm, and they fit an 18mm wide belt, supposed to. i think the racing parts would fit, but i don't know. and search for 669x18x30 on ebay and you'll get tons of results. a bunch of chinese ones, and don't even get them. they don't last 2500 miles. if less. like pushing. and they use 16x13 roller weights. maybe that would be cheap to get the parts. you could get a stock clutch, and variator. ive got the starter gear thing, too. i know the variator uses the same size bolt. and the clutch does too.
ldrancer
BMX
BMX

Post by ldrancer »

i forgot i read about cehcking te chinese parts, i just went over before, and seen where someone asked to cehck it out. i had seen it and went, yea it'll work. then i forgot about it.
there was a place i got the stuff and you can get it one at a time, i never checked these guys for driven pulleys, i had a problem with it. there is a chinese 17.7 mm wide belt, and i think a chinese clutch i got once, was for it, and it messed stuff up. and chinese, well it's like asking for giving your money and then getting kicked in the nuts and calling it a day. the starter gear, you can get them, and the drive boss. bells, clutch pads, fine. drive pulleys, get name brand know what size. i have a drive boss, ill check it.
it measures 2 7/8 " 38mm. i know on them, the variator was able to open and have the belt in it, and shift and have the belt go to the top of the variator.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Okay, so then u just use the stock variator and shim the trans cover so the kick start doesn't bind?

And I'm just trying to clarify, but this mod will basically give you more takeoff by giving you a shorter gear(higher in number)?

Does this do anything to the top end?

Will the longer belt give even more take off but lower top end speed?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.