ZX trans how-to

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

Re: ZX trans how-to

Post by steffen707 »

Great info and great insight guys. Probably gunna be a month before I try this all out; however, I doubt my stock bike will yield much results for top speed results but I will post what info if I find. There might be other stockers out there that would enjoy some faster take off acceleration, but don't want to mod the engine.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth EvilOne:
The 669 x 18x 30 won't neccesarily make top end less. What if...654 x 18 x 30 belt bottoms out in rear pulleys before reaching max in the front? Longer belt would let belt go further in the front before bottoming out in rear pulleys = more top speed. Am i making sense everyone?
You make perfect sense. However from what I've seen from my slightly-longer Polini belt, that's not what happens. The rear pulley is larger than the front, as you know. When the variator moves out at top speed, the belt climbs to the rim in front. Because of the longer belt length however, there's too much slack to bring the belt down as deep between the rear pulleys. The overdrive ratio is therefore not as great as when the correct-length belt is used. The solution would appear to be a larger front variator, which would pull more of the slack to the front and pull the belt down to spread the rear pulleys completely apart.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Yay wheelman! Who makes a larger variator? Don't you also need a larger front pulley then too for the belt to ride on with the larger (front) variator?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

steffen707 wrote:Yay wheelman! Who makes a larger variator? Don't you also need a larger front pulley then too for the belt to ride on with the larger (front) variator?
steffen707 did you read all of my post? Just giving you a hard time. I have the Ruckus variator. The Ruckus variator is about as big as you want to go. I posted a pic on first page of where you need to grind a little off the case if you want to use the Ruckus variator. It's a little bigger than Keli and Oko variators, not sure if it will help but it might. Front drive pulleys are identical except ZX pulley does not have a lip on in (facing the drive boss), stock has small lip. I was looking at both stock and ZX front pulleys and they both have close to 1/8 inch before belt reached outer edge (based on the wear marks). If bigger Ruckus vari can send the belt that extra 1/8 inch on front drive pulley then top speed might stay same or get a hair better.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

DOH! I'm sorry I forgot you posted up info about that. Just got so excited that I forgot u already said it.

So zx pulley, ruckus variator, bigger belt and zx rear parts! Here comes more acceleration and no more top end for my stock setup......for now. :coolcruise:
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Quoth EvilOne:
The 669 x 18x 30 won't neccesarily make top end less. What if...654 x 18 x 30 belt bottoms out in rear pulleys before reaching max in the front? Longer belt would let belt go further in the front before bottoming out in rear pulleys = more top speed. Am i making sense everyone?
You make perfect sense. However from what I've seen from my slightly-longer Polini belt, that's not what happens. The rear pulley is larger than the front, as you know. When the variator moves out at top speed, the belt climbs to the rim in front. Because of the longer belt length however, there's too much slack to bring the belt down as deep between the rear pulleys. The overdrive ratio is therefore not as great as when the correct-length belt is used. The solution would appear to be a larger front variator, which would pull more of the slack to the front and pull the belt down to spread the rear pulleys completely apart.
But the Polini belt is an oddball size right? I wonder if the longer 18mm belt will make a difference. We'll see.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

steffen707 wrote:DOH! I'm sorry I forgot you posted up info about that. Just got so excited that I forgot u already said it.

So zx pulley, ruckus variator, bigger belt and zx rear parts! Here comes more acceleration and no more top end for my stock setup......for now. :coolcruise:
Don't forget the drive boss! And wheelie bar.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

The drive boss is the metal roller that the variator spins on right? So for the ruckus variator you need the ruckus boss right?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

steffen707 wrote:The drive boss is the metal roller that the variator spins on right? So for the ruckus variator you need the ruckus boss right?
Yes and no. Drive boss is what you think it is but it needs to be from the Dio ZX, Kymco ZX, or Sym DD50.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Posted new tip on page 1 about pulley reinforcing.

If someone does get a Kymco ZX rear pulley will you please post pic of weld so i can see if that needs reinforced or not?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Don't forget the kicker case, if you use the elite one, it needs spacers to push it away from the block (you might as well just strip all the threads out and save yourself the time).
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

808BMW wrote:Don't forget the kicker case, if you use the elite one, it needs spacers to push it away from the block (you might as well just strip all the threads out and save yourself the time).
I sense the sarcasm, but what did u mean by stripping the threads? Were u talking abut the kick starter gear teeth will get stripped if u don't shim? Or were u talking about the case bolts?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

808BMW wrote:Don't forget the kicker case, if you use the elite one, it needs spacers to push it away from the block (you might as well just strip all the threads out and save yourself the time).
Do you know if the kicker cases from the Kymco ZX or Sym DD50 will work?
Steffen707, Elite kicker will have to be shimmed about 1/8" or it binds up. So i'm guessing he's talking about case bolts.
Last edited by evilone on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

steffen707 wrote: I sense the sarcasm, but what did u mean by stripping the threads? Were u talking abut the kick starter gear teeth will get stripped if u don't shim? Or were u talking about the case bolts?
I meant the case bolts.

Spacing them out does 2 things: Less thread engagement on your bolt, and more leverage on them sticking out further (every time you use the kicker, you are twisting on every mounting bolt.
Considering most people are usually missing a screw or 2, and the block is easily stripped out, I don't like risking it.

I have a stock elite cover that I use for my elite setup, and a sym cover for my zx setup. Proper fit for each respective style, and no washers needed.

evilone wrote: Do you know if the kicker cases from the Kymco ZX or Sym DD50 will work?
My cover is off a (I was told) SYM dd50. Works perfectly.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Cool, i'll have to order the Sym cover. Thanks.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.