bigger carb?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Erik B
Noob
Noob

bigger carb?

Post by Erik B »

I need some advice on my setup i bought a 2001 sr50 last winter here are my upgrades 72cc contesta bigb bore variator pulley 9.1 gears clutch springs. stock air filter stock carb stock exhaust.it runs pretty good i would guess around 50mph i also bought a jet kit i think i have #85 jet in now. i was just curious if its ok to run the stock carb on this setup and i would like some suggestions on exhaust thanks alot.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: bigger carb?

Post by toboggan »

You can run the stock carb, but you're not going to get the full potential out of your setup. I would get a 26mm carb.

And theres alot of pipes out there, the YWS V8 pipe is nice, has alot of power, and is quiet.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The stock carb can take you to well over 55 in my experience. The pipe makes it possible. The trouble is in tuning the stock carb to work over the full range of RPM you'll encounter. I'm not convinced an open pod filter does much except increase noise over a proper airbox.

As you add an exhaust and higher RPM, your 85 main jet may no longer be enough. DayWot sells a Daytona-made jet assortment up to #105 or so, or you can Roll Yer Own with indexing bits from Harbor Freight and others.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Erik B
Noob
Noob

Post by Erik B »

yeah i bought that daytona jet kit from daywot with bbk tried the #100 jet at first it sounded nasty but when i went to take off had no power so i put the #85 in and it ran good. i saw a pipe on ebay from default,taiwan that looks like it has the yws v8 badge on it for 48 bucks plus 46 for shipping has anyone bought from this dude? thanks for the advice!
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

the stock carb will lean out at full throttle go to a oko 24mm or dellorto 19mm, the stock pipe will work for a 72cc bore, change your gears to 7:2:1 and dial in the clutch :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

If you are content with the performance of your bike now stick with the stock carb, it will handle your set up with no issues so long as it is jetted correctly. Once you go with a larger carb you tend to have more issues with reliability so that is also something to look at. As far as what size to go with that depends on a few things like gas mileage. If that isn't an issue than a 28mm carb is awesome and leaves room for MANY upgrades and different set ups, the 24mm OKO carb is a like hard to tune due to the power jet on it, you can run a 18mm or 19mm carb if you wanted a small boost in performance without a major hit on gas mileage.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Post by needfasterthan31 »

I have the same Elite and same setup all around. I also bought the Daytona jet kit and started with 100,then,95,then 90, then the 85 jet was perfect. I also am curious what works for you and which carb and jets work the best because i want to keep my stock airbox because of the noise issue with a pod airfilter.
01 Elite SR50
>Polini Contesta 72cc Kit (To be soon installed)
>R1 Pipe (To be soon installed)
>Keli Variator
>9:1 gears
Erik B
Noob
Noob

Post by Erik B »

if its safe i will run it as is for a couple of months the moped is just my beer runner for the time being.I will probably get exhaust and carb kit off ebay too many projects.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Erik B wrote: i saw a pipe on ebay from default,taiwan that looks like it has the yws v8 badge on it for 48 bucks plus 46 for shipping has anyone bought from this dude? thanks for the advice!
Is his user name che3732wc1? I got an oko carb from him. I bought it on a Saturday and got it the following wednesday or thursday.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Erik B
Noob
Noob

Post by Erik B »

yeah thats the guy he has pretty good prices that exhaust pipe looks really good for around 100 bucks shipping included everyplace else wants 160 or so.
Erik B
Noob
Noob

Post by Erik B »

I just ordered my exhaust off ebay cant wit to see what it does i will get bigger carb & intake kinda soon does anyone on here have a puch i have been diggin on those last couple of days just wondering what the potential is with them.
Erik B
Noob
Noob

Post by Erik B »

I put the new exhaust on what a difference i bought the v8 pipe off ebay I am very impressed bigger carb next cant wait!
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

upjet.
Erik B
Noob
Noob

Post by Erik B »

I had the 85 jet in it.upjetted to 90 now its running pretty funky?just stalls at the bottom end then picks up
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

i can't tune, but i didn't blow you up though. hehehehehehe.
and uh, did it run good with 85?
i don't even know how to use a main jet.
but you said, what a difference i bought the v8 pipe off ebay
so i don't know i thougth bigger pipe upjet.
so upjet. until it quits then go from there i guess. you don't want to blow it up though. but if 85 done fine, and you put up to 105 going up 5 sizes at a time and it just gets worse, i guess that's rich, maybe foul a plug, get something and clean it. sandpaper.
midrange, i don't know. if the needle jet controls it, and if you need to mess with it. it can run lean a little and not notice it, just don't run it lean. you can flood a motor, but don't starve it it gets hot.