2000 centerspring Elite S trans.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

losthope
Elite
Elite

2000 centerspring Elite S trans.

Post by losthope »

Is a 2000 center spring too stiff? Will it lead to a broken rear driven face? I am currently running a 1500 and i noticed running it on the stand with 3000 rpm grabbers the rear driven face is already starting starting to open berfore the clutch even engages. I would like to improve my takeoff but i dont want to destroy parts in the process. thanks

Keli variator
sef ramp plate
stock belt
9.1-1 gears
Wheelman-111

Re: 2000 centerspring Elite S trans.

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Swap the clutch springs for softer or drop a few grams from the variator. You're starting off in 2nd gear.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

Does the variator and the rear driven face "shift" at the same time? Meaning if the rear is opening up does that automatically mean that the variator is shifting as well? Or can the variator and driven face be tuned so the driven face opens completely then the variator will start to move.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Both operate together at same time.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

If the rear pulley seperated and variator didn't come together at the same instant, the belt would have a ton of slack and slap or break on the case.
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

Ok thanks im getting a better understanding now.

So they both start moving at the same time. But once the rear driven face is completely open does the belt continue so ride up a little more on the variator? (i realize this would only happen if there is enough slack in the belt)
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

as well, once you put in a stiffer center spring you will need heavier rollers to help open up the driven face? correct?
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

What im getting at is whats the purpose of going to a stiffer center spring? If one can just change variator weights for the same effect.

The only thing i can think of is the center spring helps pull the belt lower on the variator when rpms are falling due to climbing a hill for example. And the weights in the variator are better used on acceleration using certrifical force to drive the rear driven face open.

How does the stiffer center spring help?
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

losthope wrote:What im getting at is whats the purpose of going to a stiffer center spring? If one can just change variator weights for the same effect.

The only thing i can think of is the center spring helps pull the belt lower on the variator when rpms are falling due to climbing a hill for example. And the weights in the variator are better used on acceleration using certrifical force to drive the rear driven face open.

How does the stiffer center spring help?
that is exactly how i have thought about it. but the two have to be set up properly to balance each other out.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame