ZX DIO TRANS Conversion

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

diosoljah
Spree
Spree

ZX DIO TRANS Conversion

Post by diosoljah »

Ive finally made the ZX Tranny conversion since my stock rear pulley broke. The difference between the stock and ZX tranny is that the Rear Pulley Drive, Torque Driver, Front Pulley boss, and Belt is larger. Pics bellow, The parts on the left is the ZX parts and on the right is the stock parts...oh and take a look at the break on the stock rear pulley theres a toothpick in the break so that you can see.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

so i couldnt get this for my elite right? I think that the trans in my is the same as the dio one just not the gears in the rear.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

can you say torque??? snapped the welds right off.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Now you got it right, thats the real dio conversion, man you make me look good!!! you can run the yellow center spring depending on your gear ratio, stay with the clutch springs, clutch pads on the right only engage 50% flat spots need to sanded! hope you shaved the inner rear case enough so you break a belt, don't run the rear trans cover just in case.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

darat wrote:so i couldnt get this for my elite right? I think that the trans in my is the same as the dio one just not the gears in the rear.
hey darat, Im not sure if it could fit, but ill ask next time i visit a shop here if it could. if it does oh man, Its like moving from a 4-speed engine to a 6-speed
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

YEAH let me know about it! just let me know how much it is and shipping on it. because i would love to one
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

vette76 wrote:can you say torque??? snapped the welds right off.
yes and the high rev did it too, because of all the porting thats been done, Ive lost some performance in the low end and gained a lot of high end, so to offset this I had to get the tranny to rev more to engage quicker so Ive put in a 20%center spring along with the daytona blues clutch shoe springs and 45gs on the weights, I guess this was enough to twist the welds right off. I was told this setup should be stronger but one things for sure, the range of this tranny feels much better.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

you will also have to change the front face pulley, D it will not fit on your trans, the spline will not match and your trans cover is smaller, remember if we can't do it we don't bother with it....
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

so the back pulley wont work on my elite?
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

It will not work, you should have bought myspree's engine or you can still buy my dio stroker which you can't afford! BTW, you build a nice website so you have potential.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

wait a tick i made that web site! i also made the honda express fourum
diosoljah
Spree
Spree

Post by diosoljah »

maddog wrote:you will also have to change the front face pulley, D it will not fit on your trans, the spline will not match and your trans cover is smaller, remember if we can't do it we don't bother with it....
Front face Pulley? Whats that? I have a Kelly pulley with a daytona ramp and a SYM Drive face gear, is it the drive face gear you talking about?
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Yea thats it and a daytons #3 ramp, put a trans washer between the boss & ramp, Happy can make you a set wheelie bars cuz your gunna need them lol!
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

I had a "happy" welded dio pulley,been running the sym zx conversion for a while,I snapped a stock rear drive before.
just gotta make sure that you check the belt and make sure it does not rub,mine never did but each motor is different.
Also some say to shave the boss down to make clearence between the kick starter main gear and the front drive face,I found a better way,which is to shave the kick starter teeth that engage the front drive face ,then just reshape the teeth to get the full depth back-need to shave about 1-2 mm for proper clearence-this if you run a kickstarter.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

the sef ramp is also a good choice. i would also go with the daytona gold center spring. that spring lasts the longest. To add more stiffness use the FSN bearing kit or the koso bearing kit.