BBK question.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

BBK question.

Post by fightingplankton »

before i start...this thread can do w/o the snide remarks, and douchery of other recent posts if thats alright...

okay, so i'm contemplating putting a bbk in my aero50(and possibly my buddy's as well)

daywot has a 65cc polini bbk for $175(this is more than i paid for my buddy's aero)
vtcycles has a cmr 63cc bbk for $89

here's my question...
are the 2 extra cm's worth doubling the price? or is the high price caused by the polini brand?
i mean, i can almost get 2 from vtcycles for what daywot wants for 1.

i'd like to get this bike it top racing specs, all is stock atm, i plan on throwing his ruckus variator in my aero now that he got a performance vari for his ruck...other than that, no set plans.

helpful suggestions are appreciated... and "dude, swap a dio" isnt an option.
also...i dont want my bike to be as awesome as maddoggs, we're trying to stay on a budget(i work retail).
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Wheelman-111

Re: BBK question.

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Based on experience with 3 Taiwan Bores, the Italians seem to have better quality and consistency in the very critical piston/cylinder dimensions.

Still working on getting the reliability from a Char-Mo where the Polini was bolt-on and fuggedaboutit. Then again, someone from Hawai'i told me that some Taiwan bores take a ton of abuse from clueless people who don't know a thing about jetting. Maybe they just lucked into a good kit.

Unfortunately the Italians don't go bigger than 47mm. Maybe there's a reason.

So 2ccs don't make much difference, but the quality does, particularly if you're keeping the stock carb. YMMV.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

According to Keyoni when I called to order it. He asked if my stock bore was OK. I told him it was just fine. He advised me not to buy the kit as the performance was not enough to justify swapping out a good bore. I usually say buy from VT but in this case.... More $$ might buy the performance you desire.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

martynkim wrote:According to Keyoni when I called to order it. He asked if my stock bore was OK. I told him it was just fine. He advised me not to buy the kit as the performance was not enough to justify swapping out a good bore. I usually say buy from VT but in this case.... More $$ might buy the performance you desire.
Marty I told you that the stock bore,stock exhaust and stock carb is good to 58mph topspeed. just mill the head .0020in or almost the thickness of a head gasket and that should give you that extra torque.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

i am debating the same thing right now myself. im not sure which way to go, especially when the price is so good. and i have 2 motors that need to be rebuilt...
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I think wheelman111 made good comments on how it is the care and fit of the engine components that matter more than a 2cc change. The engine tuning, (port configuration, carb settings, expansion chamber design) will have more influence on power than will 2 ccs. I am probably one of those who got lucky with performance of my Rumia engine kit. Other than shagging a drive belt I haven't had any problems.

Not sure what top racing specs are but would doubt if I could feel like I was going to get there for 200 dollars.

Most important thing is: Is it fun?
fightingplankton wrote:before i start...this thread can do w/o the snide remarks, and douchery of other recent posts if thats alright...

okay, so i'm contemplating putting a bbk in my aero50(and possibly my buddy's as well)

daywot has a 65cc polini bbk for $175(this is more than i paid for my buddy's aero)
vtcycles has a cmr 63cc bbk for $89

here's my question...
are the 2 extra cm's worth doubling the price? or is the high price caused by the polini brand?
i mean, i can almost get 2 from vtcycles for what daywot wants for 1.

i'd like to get this bike it top racing specs, all is stock atm, i plan on throwing his ruckus variator in my aero now that he got a performance vari for his ruck...other than that, no set plans.

helpful suggestions are appreciated... and "dude, swap a dio" isnt an option.
also...i dont want my bike to be as awesome as maddoggs, we're trying to stay on a budget(i work retail).
Can you post a link to maddogs bike pls?
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

elitedio wrote:
Can you post a link to maddogs bike pls?
i cant seem to find it...i think its kind of like Santa, if you believe in it...it exists, if you're a non-believer...then you have a very firm grasp on reality.

on a more serious note:
i cant seem to find any performance pipes for either the se50 or nb50. i dont know if other pipes will fit. any help?
i decided i'm gonna do the ruck vari swap, possibly mid clutch springs w/ 1k center, and pipe to start w/ here.
if i'm not happy w/ that, then i'll bbk.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

fightingplankton wrote: top racing specs
= Polini.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

For pipes for the se50, you are looking at a leo vince sp3 and a small handfull of others, or have some one modify a dio pipe (that's what I did).
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

list of "handful of others" would be nice...i think the sp3 is a bit outta my range.

edit: i goggled leo vince sp3 and found one thru amazon for $102...this cant be the right pipe can it?
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Produ ... VINCE.aspx
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

i do believe thats it. however if i remember correctly you will have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping from those guys since they are in europe.
here is the official list that we have found so far.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12086
'62 125cc Honda cub
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

i remembered that thread but didnt think it was about the aero
if anyone has a link to that arrow pipe...let me know?
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

i think the arrow pipe was more designed for the 87 elite than the aero. it comes up a little too much to not interfere with body panels. the wild lion that i run just slightly up turns and still hits the body panels under full shock compression...
'62 125cc Honda cub