Adjustable timing

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

uspmale
Spree
Spree

Adjustable timing

Post by uspmale »

Most Engines, past and present use one to three types of adjustable timing. Some use all three.
They are vacuum. mechanical and electrical.
This is to create spark at different intervals depending on load, temperature and RPMs.
What works well at idle, can make an engine weak at high revs.
This has been used for over 100 years mostly by mechanical means.
When working with 2 stroke outboards, you will find the ignition timing is an incredibly large degree sweep.
Honda spree uses the CDI to advance the curve needed for everyday consumer driving.
To tweak one for race applications is complex and very expensive can find these(chips) or performance cdi ignitions available at some speed shops.
But with a Spree budget I thought I would do a cheap but effective mechanical advance system. Spree uses a magnetic sensor right below the stator to tell the cds when to fire. By moving the sensor about 3 degrees in ether direction, one can advance or retard the timing at your discretion. Right now, I adjust it 3 degrees retarded and found a faster rpm from idle to full rpm. Don't have a tachometer right now but it would complete the tests needed for top rpm.A wireless induction tach would be my first choice, for it portability.
I've got a milk jug full of sensors, so I experimented with a few and came up with a solution with a dremel tool, slotting out the sensor mounting tabs with the curvature of the rotating flywheel. vo-la.Works great!
2 stroke engines can take a lot of variance in timing. The only thing you don't want is extreme advance, causing very tight starting and pre ignition that could damage piston and blow head gaskets.Too retarded and overheating could result.
For adjustability a cable could be attached and run up to the handle bar area for complete range control, but that's a lot of mess around with cables, clamps, sliding mounts etc. So I'll stick with KISS.(keep it simple stupid!) I like basic simple applications, one of the reasons I love Spree's.
If anyone has a wireless tach for sale, let me know,greg
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Greg,

Can you email me a pic of what you did to the ignition advance?

Did retarding the ignition increase power or just run-up on the stand?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

Only bench checked at this time. Like you Waiting for some better temps to test out all the mods on the street.I'll stop at the shop this weekend and take some pics. Thanks, greg
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

That's an excellent idea for a spree's ignition system; could be very helpful for tuned and tricked out engines. I too thought of doing a similar thing to my express ignition system, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. With the adjustable timing, those who chose to raise the compression won't have that advanced timing problem, which is a plus. This along with the modded carb can definitely improve the overall tuning ability of a spree's engine; and any extra tuneability for a spree is a major plus...

Happy tuning,
JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

My thing with this is that from a manufacturing standpoint, you know that these engines would have had the initiator "tang" welded on in slightly different spots, changing the angle at which the plug fires. Not sure how sensitive 2-stroke are to this (maybe not very) but, like you said, it's one more tuning element.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

your answer on the 2 Stroke timing band.......very flexable!
As they say "timing is everything"
Have a good weekend, greg