Using Royal Purple oil

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Using Royal Purple oil

Post by 85spreeelite »

When I started moding my elite out I dumped the oil 2 cycle oil and put 5w30 Royal Purple in it and it ran smoother then it did that 2 cycle oil in it. Has anyone else on here used this? I knew that it worked wonders in my cars but I was taking a gamble with the scooter but it paid off in the end.

The ONLY thing I hate about Royal Purple is the price. Being $10+ a quart when i own a classic chevy with a v8 and 2 other rides with v6 engines. For me? Buying the oil is the problem not changing it, but at this point I wouldnt use anything else.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

well i woulnt do it that could be really bad for the eng.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

Darat? bad how? Can you explain? I mean The reasons I use it in my classic and my new cars is because the classic has a newly rebuilt 283 and I use it in my malibu and the van but both of those cars had under 15000 miles each, and at the time my 94 elite only had 1100 miles on it.

How about this?

What if I were to mix half and half? Would it still be bad for the engine?
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

To my knowledge, you are only supposed to be putting two stroke injection oil in your scoot.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

yeah not 10W-30
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

5w30 was what I put in. I can drain it ez, just didnt think it would harm it is all. :lol:
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

i bet that there is alot of carbon build up on the cylnder head and exhust port.
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

Hmmmm, now I want to check that and let u know how bad (if any) it is.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Royal purple sells synthetic 2 stroke oil by the gal., check out their website.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

Aww man they sure do. Well that settles that and its worth every penny.
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

I use Royal Purple Two cycle oil all the time in my peds. That is some good stuff. And it has saved my engines countless times in "high-stress" situations, so I'd say it's good oil. One thing I found out the hard way though; NEVER use RP or any other synthetic oil when breaking in an engine; The rings will not set properly, and it will probably soft seize on you. I had that happen after I had ridden down a large hill, and had to push it a few miles back to the house; NOT FUN. But anyway, I would highly recommend this oil for a stock or upgraded engine, and don't forget to try some 10w-30 RP in the transmission case.

JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

they make 2 stroke oil is this the injector type?
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

I believe the non-racing version is designed for both injector and pre-mix engines. I've used it in both types, and it works good in either setup.

JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Royal purple

Post by uspmale »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Here's a good buy on the royal purple. Cheapest I've found yet!
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

For online, that looks to be a good buy, but if you factor in shipping costs, it comes to $13.89. Not bad, but you might get out a little cheaper checking out the local motorcross/hardware store first. I get my RP oil from NAPA for around 8 bucks, so it might not be a bad idea to log on to Royal Purple's site, and use their "consumer products" store search function to find someone in your state that sells Royal Purple products. It may be cheaper, but if it isn't, then what Greg posted might be your best bet.

JF