High speed tires.....

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

STOGIE
Noob
Noob

High speed tires.....

Post by STOGIE »

Okay I had to register to be able to post up a question.... since I couldn't find it anywhere else on line....

The lowdown:
I travel alot on my Harley... I live in Michigan... and still manage to pull out 30K - 50K miles a year... most of my travelling is cross country and 800 - 1000 miles a day...
I also shoot definsive handguns competitavely and on a National circuit.... so I want to combine my two loves and start travelling to matches around the country on my Harley... the problem arises in the fact that I hate travel trailers on motorcycles! and Since I have to play politics with the Corporate Sponsors that might pay my bills in the shooting sports, I can't wear 1 set of clothes the entire week like I normally would..... extra clothes takes up extra room....

Here is where I need your information and help....
I'm converting/building an old Radio Flyer Wagon into a tow behind trailer.... Its small... Just big enough to hold my range bag and about 2000 rounds of ammo.... I think the Honda Spree front wheels would be perfect for this trailer to roll on..... However, I need tires that will hold up to 80+mph all day long (I have found modified bearings that will fit the wheel and support the load and RPMs I will be using.)... the total weight of the trailer and all my gear will be about 140 pounds maximum...

Those 8" trailer wheels and big rubber tires that you can find for utility trailers just look rediculous on this trailer...

Does anyone know if the stock tires will hold up to these speeds and if not, where can I get a set of tires that will?

Thanks! I appreciate your help and suggestions!

---STOGIE---
.....o~`o

Oh yeah..... and any suggestions where I can find some "other than stock" wheels would be appreciated as well!
axo
Spree
Spree

Re: High speed tires.....

Post by axo »

Whats wrong with these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200330209 ? just the looks of it?

I asked about the speed ratings on these forums some time ago and one of the guys said:
Don't know. I took the stock oem tire that comes on the 94-01 elite s well over 80mph on the shop drag bike back in the day and nothing happened.trap speed was between 87to90mph on the 1/4mile.
The only problem i see on a trailer application besides the lack of statistic about how well a tire rated for max 62mph (J) will hold sustained 800 miles a day 80mph speeds, is the mounting requiring a fork and having to deal with the brake hub of the scooter wheels. The axle (10mm) might be too thin if you attempt to hold the wheel from one side only, but it is just my guess, i am not an expert.

Trailer wheels should be easier and less expensive to get and maintain than scooter wheels.
Do not worry about the looks. Or improvise some "Harley look" for some custom fenders for the wheels :)

Good luck
1989 Honda Dio SP
AF18E - 82cc Taiwan kit - 24mm Oko - KRS pulley kit - Kevlar belt - 8.44:1 gears - 1000RPM Center spring - 7 grams roller weights - R1 sectional exhaust - 130lb pilot :)
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

If you want a good safety margin for the trailer, its sounds like you need M, N or P rated tires. The problem is that they are not common for tube tires (that the Spree rims need), nor for the 10 inch size.

Some higher rated 10" tires I know of are:
Continental ContiTwist Sport (M rated)
Continental Conti Zippy (M rated)
Sava M16 (P rated)
Michelin Pilot City Urban Sport (P rated)

You're likely to have to spend in the range of $60-$100 for a pair of tires such as these. The higher speed rated tires tend to be too wide for the Spree rims too.

If you go this route, you may be better off looking for a pair of cast aluminum alloy 10" inch tubeless rims (from a chinese scooter if you want to keep the price down). A pair of 10" Honda Metropolitan rims, which are tubeless, could work too.

Something to consider is that the speed rating represent maximum speed under constant use at maximum rated tire load. It sounds like your trailer will be quite light, so you may not really need such high ratings.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The other side to this is that you will be changing these "spree" size tires every couple of days. The rubber compound is likely softer than that of your HD tires (I know mine are). On my spree, I had a maximum of 4600 miles out of a front tire with a top speed of 33mph on it and a light load (most of the weight is in the back on these, similar to the HD).

I agree, if you like the scooter wheel looks on a budget, check out some 12" tubless chinese rims and look at the touring/classic tires. That should give you the speed ratings you are looking for as well as a harder compound rubber for a little longer tire life.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.