Trans Problems

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Trans Problems

Post by Tippmann98 »

Me and a friend had done an engine swap with a Spree engine he had bought off of the internet. The engine seemed okay and all, transmission was a little strange sounding. The engine even fired up nicely, second kick. But when we rode it, it freaking is loud as *. We tore the transmission completely down. Did all we could do. Could it possible be the bearing by the brakeshoes?That is the only thing we didnt get out. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas ideas , just reply.
Thanks,
Tippmann98
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The bearing from the input shaft to the trans was loose on mine. I replaced it, which lessened the noise from the rearend.
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

I'm just going to replace or repack every bearing I see. Thing is apart already. Don't want to have to do it again. Partsfish.com is awesome.
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

How do you get the dang thing off though, How does anyone get those bearings out, are they welded in or what?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

?Repack the bearings? Those bearing run on oil, not grease. At least the ones in the trans housing. By trans housing I mean the oil-filled rear part of the engine containing 2 gears.

The bearings are a press fit, in order to be replacable. They are removed using a wood or brass drift and a hammer. If you have not seen this type of bearing before, I would urge you to take the part to your local mechanic/gearhead/shop teacher/parts counter guy/etc to let them show you how to remove these bearings personally. It's pretty easy to break the case if you are careless, and an expensive mistake to make.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

I am talking about one not in the oil filled area. It spins the rear axle. It is behind two gaskets near the brakepads
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Ah, there it is. That one isn't oil-fed. You should be able to inspect that bearing with the trans disassembled.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

But how do i get it out? Hammer and flathead screwdriver?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

NO !!

Use a socket that just fits the outer edge and place it squarely on the bearing. Tap gently with a ball peen hammer and it will slowly come out of the housing. Replace with a new one the same way.

By the way, these bearings are sealed units. If you put your finger on the inner race and feel any grinding or sticking when trying to rotate it, the bearing is bad. There is no repacking like in a car's wheel bearing. Grease or oil does nothing to help. Just replacement.
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Ah, as i thought. Thanks for the advice. That is a pretty smart way to do that. I shall try it.