Monster build under way, anything else i should do?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

the-hough
Noob
Noob

Monster build under way, anything else i should do?

Post by the-hough »

hey guys!
I've been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post.
Ok, so i have an 85' NQ50 (they're Nifty 50's here in Australia), as a stock bike it ran perfectly it was smooth running and for what it was i found it to be more powerful than one would expect from something so small (just not fast enough). I decided to do some upgrades with the desired end result to be: able to cruise at 60 klm/h (38mp/h approx) without the engine running at max rpm but to be able to go faster on bigger roads would be good too, as in 80klm/h (50mp/h) and to have enough power to outweigh the upgearing. Terrain is brisbane city, has a lot of hills and angry traffic if you not keeping up with the speed limit.
To do this i have bought the 48bbk and gears from taz, a brand new clutch and bearings for gearbox (clutch is gonna take 2 weeks from honda so i just figured i would order new bearings aswell) and a new belt. i have also just seen the new carbie and intake/reeds kit from taz and am about to order that aswell (didn't port the block or the intake on the crankcase as i thought at the time i would still be using the stock carb just upjetted), im looking at porting the crankcase (a large "lip" just after the reed seat) but as i have already installed the bore i don't think I'm going to be able to do it without getting swarf in the crankcase, I do have the engine out of the bike so its slightly possible however unlikely that i will be able to do it with the cylinder still attached and i don't really want to take the cylinder off again so probably wont end up doing it (even though i really want to now that i'm getting the bigger intake).

All of this work is being done in a "take your time and do it right in the first place" manner (i'm in engineering, a boilermaker and fixing mistakes is a pet hate of mine). basically i don't want to be pulling it apart again 2 weeks after because i should've upgraded something in the first place.

So the question I have is: are there any suggestions anybody has that I should do to make this a solid setup. like I was wondering about the main spring in the clutch pully, should I replace it? should I upgrade it when I replace it? Anyone know where to get these, and what spring should I get for the setup I've mentioned? Any suggestions on this and anything else you guys can think of would be greatly appreciated. Cost of parts and time to aquire is of no concern to me.

Thanks Heaps!
Last edited by the-hough on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Monster build under way, anything else i should do?

Post by Trafficjamz »

the-hough wrote: So the question I have is: are there any suggestions anybody has that I should do to make this a solid setup. like I was wondering about the main spring in the cluth pully, should I replace it? should I upgrade it when I replace it? Anyone know where to get these, and what spring should I get for the setup I've mentioned? Any suggestions on this and anything else you guys can think of would be greatly appreciated. Cost of parts and time to aquire is of no concern to me.

Thanks Heaps!
Leave the spring alone unless your belt is slipping.

If cost is no issue........Throw that nifty 50 engine in the trash, and Swap in a DIO engine. :thumbwink:
Last edited by Trafficjamz on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
the-hough
Noob
Noob

Post by the-hough »

If cost is no issue........Throw that nifty 50 engine in the trash, and Swap in a DIO engine. :thumbwink:[/quote]

i would preffer to upgrade what i've got than do a transplant. aside from the government and the fact that i would need a modification plate for a diffrent engine, it just wouldnt be the same bike with a diffrent motor
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Lots of hills and angry traffic..........Prepare to be disappointed. :sad:

The 48mm kit from TAZ will not go 50mph

40mph would be a more realistic goal .....but not up hills.

The stock 49cc dio engine will out perform a fully built NQ50 spree hands down.
the-hough
Noob
Noob

Post by the-hough »

as long as it can cruise at 38mp/h anything higher is only a bonus, and i do realise im gonna slow up going uphill. i am also very light, as a stock bike (i do realise it will be very different with the gear upgrades) going uphill used to only change my max speed by 8klm/h (5mp/h)
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

the-hough wrote:as long as it can cruise at 38mp/h anything higher is only a bonus, and i do realise im gonna slow up going uphill. i am also very light, as a stock bike (i do realise it will be very different with the gear upgrades) going uphill used to only change my max speed by 8klm/h (5mp/h)

A lighter rider helps ALOT.

Any port work you do to make the nifty 50 flow better will make is less of a pain to tune later. :wink:
the-hough
Noob
Noob

Post by the-hough »

Trafficjamz wrote:Any port work you do to make the nifty 50 flow better will make is less of a pain to tune later. :wink:
Yeh, I'm a bit disappointed i only found the intake kit after i installed the cylinder or i would've ported it before, because as i said with the standard carb and intake i didn't see it as being nescessary. I think I'm gonna pull the cylinder off again so i can port the crankcase opening /cry. can i reuse the head gasket if it hasn't been run? (i've got heaps of base gaskets but only the one head gasket)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The Spree/Nifty50 has no variator, hence it is badly restricted as the transmission does NOT change ratios, AKA a one gear wonder that starts in high gear and stays there, performance and Spree/Nifty 50 and an oxymoron. The Spree engine is not gonna cruise at 38 or even 35 mph when you hit a hill, more like 15 to 20 mph.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
the-hough
Noob
Noob

Post by the-hough »

Bear45-70 wrote: when you hit a hill, more like 15 to 20 mph.
I sincerly hope that's a bit exaggerated because on the hills around here (ive even climbed many a very steep mountain road) i did 25mp/h with the standard engine. but anyway im more asking for ways to make it a solid build rather than asking if my speed expectations are within reason of the nq50 engine. things like: If you upgrade A it would be in your best interest to upgrade X or the standard X will likely break.

thanks for the replies :thumbsup: Tim
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

hills? i thought the hills were in kiwi-land... according to Pricilla queen of the desert, if you're not on the coast, you're in a flat barren waste land. at any rate, yeh, my spree(stock except the front pulley mod) couldnt climb worth crap. i could get it up to 32ish on flats and down hill, then went down to about 25mph on any incline.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

the-hough wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote: when you hit a hill, more like 15 to 20 mph.
I sincerly hope that's a bit exaggerated because on the hills around here (ive even climbed many a very steep mountain road) i did 25mp/h with the standard engine. but anyway im more asking for ways to make it a solid build rather than asking if my speed expectations are within reason of the nq50 engine. things like: If you upgrade A it would be in your best interest to upgrade X or the standard X will likely break.

thanks for the replies :thumbsup: Tim
I live in hill country and my stock 1985 Spree will flat stop on the long steep hills but 15 or 20 mph is normal.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
the-hough
Noob
Noob

Post by the-hough »

just finished my build, and it is F'ing AWESOME! started first time and runs like a dream. first run was a perfect success has way more power than before, even running half throttle at a max of 25mph. cant wait to get it run in.
anyway thanks for the help and ill post back with the post run in results.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

pics
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
the-hough
Noob
Noob

Post by the-hough »

just looks standard, can only just see the bottom of the pod filter. gonna put the taz intake/carb kit on after it's run in. i'm pretty sure i have to chop up some plastic to get it to fit, i rekon ill put a scoop on the side of it and give it some paint :P. and a new seat cover.

and the australian speedo

fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

so insanely jealous of your round headlights over there :(
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80