New to Forum-OKO setup question

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

bonesv

New to Forum-OKO setup question

Post by bonesv »

First of all, I want to thank this board for all the help you all have given me.I am in awe of all the mods I've looked at. You are incredible!!! I almost gave up on fixing these until I saw this site! THANK YOU ALL! :worship:
Got ahold of a new 19mm OKO carb and ct manifold. Using the cable from VT Cycles. :thumbwink:
Scooter is '01 elite af16. 66cc cyl. w/stock crank and head. Stock gears for now.
Engine is 9 tanks of gas broke-in. Problem is with new carb. Started w/ 38 pilot and
102 main. Starts and idles w/ choke on but when choke is off there's poor throttle response.
Considered maybe it's lean so up to 42 pilot. Similar, but it would ride 1 block then no response.
Maybe I need help with this? Seems the pilot is close but the main I'm guess'in is off or the float
needs adj? :nervous: Maybe the cable needs adj?This runs 48mph w/stock carb and I don't want to cause damage by not enough carb.
Oh, using K&N air filter. Any help with this is welcome-critics too. Thanks The V Dude
Last edited by bonesv on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: New to Forum-OKO setup question

Post by bakaracer »

pull the plug and see what color it is
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Thanks Baka. The plug is dark wet. Was a 42 in there and I guess too rich. 38 is the smallest pilot jet in the set. That is what is in there now. Still sort'a damp-it idles but with very little response. Is there supposed to be an opening for the oil line? Seems there is a nub w/ a hole
in it mid way up on the backside of it that a hose would fit on? Plug this? Gas came out when I flipped it over to change the pilot jet. also, will it hurt to run the oil pump closed until I plug it? On straight 32:1 now. Thanks, V Dude
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

the main is to big. if the pilot was to big the bike would foul at idle. plus a 42 or 40 should be right about there for the 19mm carb. move the needle clip up 1 or 2 slots and take the filter off and see if it gets better at 1/2 to wot throttle. if it does a little, drop the main jet 2 steps. oh and set the air/fuel screw at 2 turns out
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Thanks Baka, I went up to second clip and seemed to help. I went down on the main jet to a 95
and that helped too. Set a/f screw to 2 turns out. Warmed up and went 300 ft. at 1/2 open then throttle dropped to very little response. pulled choke on and was better response. Pushed home.
Is there something else? Pilot is 35. Main is 95. It's only 66cc's but I would think it would need a
bit more than a stock carb? What you think? v dude :oops:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

put the 42 pilot in. if you have to pull the choke for it to run better, that means the pilot is to small
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

OK, thanks. 42 pilot is right. good up to 1/2 throttle, then blaaaah. no power.
I don't think it's getting enough gas. tried an 85-even less power. must need to go up?
getting late, I'll mess with it again tomorrow. it was real good up to 1/2 throttle.
made sure no leaks (air). still have a question about port on backside of carb-what is this?
I plugged it off. Thank you for your help, Baka :smile:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The port on the inside of the carb may be a vent. Don't plug it.
Thanks for sharing results with the 19mm OKO. I don't think anyone else has. I'm guessing a 105-112 Main would be in the ballpark.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

bonesv wrote:OK, thanks. 42 pilot is right. good up to 1/2 throttle, then blaaaah. no power.
I don't think it's getting enough gas. tried an 85-even less power. must need to go up?
getting late, I'll mess with it again tomorrow. it was real good up to 1/2 throttle.
made sure no leaks (air). still have a question about port on backside of carb-what is this?
I plugged it off. Thank you for your help, Baka :smile:
ok thats a carb vent for the float bowl. thats why its bogging and cutting out after 1/2 throttle. your running out of gas cuz the bowl cant fill up in time.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Thanks Wheelman. tricky little things these carburetors.I'll try those out in the a.m. I purchased all the sets of jets for these oko's. I will post the results and share any tips I may stumble upon
:surprise: v dude Yup, I was sure I had something afoul :? Thank you Baka :happy:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

bonesv

Post by bonesv »

While I was working on too many things at once, I managed to pull this 65cc motor and clean the sh-t out of it,lots of carbon on top of piston and exhaust port but cyl. was NICE and CLEAN, so, well I broke one of the taiwan piston rings!!! * am I gone to do now! No spare parts to be found! Thanks to http://www.treatland.tv., they had a 45mm honda mb5? 1.5mm ring. It was worth a shot so I ordered two and a 45mm flex cyl hone. Got some gaskets from Moped Hospital and re installed w/two base (thinner) gaskets for a perfect fit. Compression at 110psi. Trailtech Vapor was a good investment also so I could monitor this time. After going back to the stock carb last time I had it running, I decided to give the OKO 19mm another try. 42 pilot/120 main on a CT manifold. K$N air filter which I shrink wrapped about half of it because it was getting too much cold air and not running right. CHT reading 350-360 up to 385 WOT spike at closed throttle. The BIG PROBLEM I was having last time was the Carb. throttle slide was slipping off of the throttle cable and I thought it was a jetting issue(so did you). So I fixed that by jamming it together better this time and it's working fine now as you can see in my signature below. I messed with the pilot jet and then I messed with the main jet but the 42/120 is what is working best this summer. Might have to go to a smaller setting in the winter month(s)hehe but we'll see. Want to get some more experience before I put together the 72 malossi cast iron and mhr crank I got from Keith@RedEftPerformance. Oh, I'm running Klotz synthetic oil in this now @ 32:1 and I got some 927 Castor I'm going to try soon. Will also be using 26mm OKO on the malossi and saw some posts that were helpful as well. Thank you to Bakaracer and others, you too wheelman111, your build posts are incredibly informative and have saved me untold heartache and suffering! Sincerely, :thumbwink: :thumbwink: V DUDE
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

Its good to know that your having good luck with the 19, I bought the same carb and have been having a * of a time getting it to run right... So on the 65 with pipe its running great then? Since my SE50 is pretty much the same setup, you are giving me a great starting point.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Hey Turtle13, I knew you would be looking at this post. I was excited as * when it finally got straightened out with the 19mm. :smile: This bore is really a 45mm(exact) that I got from Patrick (Daywot.ebaymotors.com) So did you find any air leaks? I looked at the video and will be testing mine from now on. It didn't sound like our problems were similar though. But I did check the float level - it was off a bit and a brand new unit, too. I mentioned that I had to block off some of the air filter - too much cold air wasn't allowing the fuel mixture to vaporize enough and was running crappy, wanted to stall out as I applied the throttle. Air temp. is tricky too, days over, say 90 degrees, I have to lean it out with more air filter open. Stock is so forgiving and easy. The pipe I'm running is a 28mm yms like this
140.jpg
140.jpg (2.99 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
I really like it-kind'a sleeper look.Performs well and cheap(I hear 'ya wheelman)what can I say.
I tried the 32mm pg short from VT CYCLES but I dont have enough motor or the ex. port is way too small. The combination is more important than I thought. Parts need to match-up better for them to really perform right. :imo: I'm glad you got something out of these. Hope you get it running right. Believe me, I know the frustration that can come from these. best of luck. V Dude
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

Unfortunatly I probably wont get a chance to tear it all down for a couple weeks or so... Been super busy recently and no signs of slowing down any time soon. I want to try to find one of those adjustable pod filters so I can adjust airflow, im just not sure I can cram them under the aeros panels.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

bonesv wrote:Hey Turtle13, I knew you would be looking at this post. I was excited as * when it finally got straightened out with the 19mm. :smile: This bore is really a 45mm(exact) that I got from Patrick (Daywot.ebaymotors.com) So did you find any air leaks? I looked at the video and will be testing mine from now on. It didn't sound like our problems were similar though. But I did check the float level - it was off a bit and a brand new unit, too. I mentioned that I had to block off some of the air filter - too much cold air wasn't allowing the fuel mixture to vaporize enough and was running crappy, wanted to stall out as I applied the throttle. Air temp. is tricky too, days over, say 90 degrees, I have to lean it out with more air filter open. Stock is so forgiving and easy. The pipe I'm running is a 28mm yms like this
140.jpg
I really like it-kind'a sleeper look.Performs well and cheap(I hear 'ya wheelman)what can I say.
I tried the 32mm pg short from VT CYCLES but I dont have enough motor or the ex. port is way too small. The combination is more important than I thought. Parts need to match-up better for them to really perform right. :imo: I'm glad you got something out of these. Hope you get it running right. Believe me, I know the frustration that can come from these. best of luck. V Dude
That highlighted part in red say you are too lean on the main jet. ,Oh and the to cold stuff is BS.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree