44mm BBK Tuning help

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

thistleb
Noob
Noob

44mm BBK Tuning help

Post by thistleb »

OK I bought the 44mm BBK from Taz. Stock intake and exhaust, 90 main jet and 5-0.50" holes in the lid of the stock air box. Starts right up and runs fairly well. Problem occurs around 1/2 throttle. It starts to bog. When I back off the throttle a bit the revs pick up. Spoke to Taz and he recommended a smaller jet. I ordered the 85. Just wanted to get feedback from those who have a experience woth this set up. Am I heading down the right path assuming its a rich main?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Wheelman-111

Re: 44mm BBK Tuning help

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth ThistleB:
When I back off the throttle a bit the revs pick up.
With all due respect to Taz, that sounds more like it's too lean. Closing the throttle a little decreases the Air first, which then matches the fuel flow better, thus Internal Combustion becomes heartier. I'd begin by raising the needle to see if the symptom improves with richer midrange.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
thistleb
Noob
Noob

Post by thistleb »

Thanks Wheelman. I'll give that a shot I actually lowered the needle in hopes of leaning it out, thinking it was rich. Appreciate the feedback.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

I would cover up some of those holes you made in the lid. That why you get the pilot jet use back. Then you can drop the main jet more. You don't want to seize after a wot run . On closed throttle is when most guys seize their motor due to not enough fuel feeding the motor which the pilot jet does from 0to1/2 throttle
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
thistleb
Noob
Noob

Post by thistleb »

Big thanks Wheelman.. Raised the needle and it is substantially better. I now need to locate a larger main.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You're welcome, but Baka-san is correct. Your biggest threat is the Dreaded Off-Throttle Lean-Out.
You can't easily enlarge the Pilot circuit, so plug them holes, Pray when you shut the throttle down.
Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

thistleb wrote:Stock intake and exhaust, 90 main jet and 5-0.50" holes in the lid of the stock air box.
CLOSE THE HOLES! Or find a stock (un-drilled) airbox. It won't go anywhere with those holes in the airbox! After that check the size of the exhaust against the size of the exhaust port. The 90 jet should be maybe OK with the 18mm Keihin, but the 85 will be better. If your exhaust port is larger that the exhaust pipe inlet, performance will suffer. The stock pipe is pretty tiny and may be stifling your BBK. But don't modify the airbox!
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

JJ Joseph wrote:
thistleb wrote:Stock intake and exhaust, 90 main jet and 5-0.50" holes in the lid of the stock air box.
CLOSE THE HOLES! Or find a stock (un-drilled) airbox. It won't go anywhere with those holes in the airbox! After that check the size of the exhaust against the size of the exhaust port. The 90 jet should be maybe OK with the 18mm Keihin, but the 85 will be better. If your exhaust port is larger that the exhaust pipe inlet, performance will suffer. The stock pipe is pretty tiny and may be stifling your BBK. But don't modify the airbox!
JJ just got done telling Tythescooterguy that there are no aftermarket parts for the spree.

Now, minutes later he is giving advice on how to tune a spree with aftermarket parts. :jack:

My spree BBK's always ran best with out the stock air box. I used an uni filter.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Trafficjamz wrote:
JJ Joseph wrote:
JJ just got done telling Tythescooterguy that there are no aftermarket parts for the spree.

Now, minutes later he is giving advice on how to tune a spree with aftermarket parts. :jack:

My spree BBK's always ran best with out the stock air box. I used an uni filter.
I agree with Wheelman, don't listen to JJ. His advise is either half assed or completely wrong. The later seems to be the case this time. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Tythescooterguy
Noob
Noob

Post by Tythescooterguy »

i may bee rong. but when a two stroke is lean dont they run like raped apes. then when it gets two rich they load up and bog out
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Correct but they also melt pistons running lean thats why most motocross riders rebuilt there motor after a couple of races
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
sprite2011
Spree
Spree

Post by sprite2011 »