any aftermarket reeds that fit 1983 NB50M Aero?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

BillMckraken
BMX
BMX

Re: any aftermarket reeds that fit 1983 NB50M Aero?

Post by BillMckraken »

Okay,

Boyesen got back to me on a reed that should fit stock in the Aero 50. I have one on the way so we'll see if it works. If so, then I guess anyone with the 1983 NB50M could get one easily. Yay

Quote from the email:
"Our reed # PSR-196 should be a pretty close fit for your 1983 Honda Aero 50. Attached is a picture of reed # PSR-196, and the dimensions are: length = 1.535ÔÇØ (39.1mm) and width = 1.405ÔÇØ (35.8mm). These reeds are packaged as a set, to replace 2 stock reeds. The price for a set is $55.95 + shipping."

I was able to order a half set (the kit is sold with 2 reeds normally for whatever engine it fits, lol). One reed was 27.95 plus ship.

and if I finally figured out pictures....you should see the pic they sent of that reed.

Hope this helps others.

I'll post again when I receive and check fit.

Thanks
BillMckraken
BMX
BMX

Post by BillMckraken »

Hello
Took me a long time, but I did get a chance to put in the Boyesen # PSR-196 Reeds. Wanted to confirm that it is a perfect fit for the 1983 aero 50 yay! I can say that it was almost as if I'd put a better carb on, in terms of throttle response! These definitely made the throttle buttery smooth and much more precise with throttle changes.
I can't honestly say if it improved acceleration though it does make the engine sound more "throaty". i have a acceleration issue I'm figuring out so I cannot tell real acceleration change nor likely will once fixed.
For top speed (I did try once earlier and once now to know), bear is correct that there is no top speed improvement w/o changing carb and intake as he suggested. However, it does "feel" as if it could use more fuel now, so a slight jet increase may end up with a top speed improvement after all. I believe I jetted it to 78.7 from the stock 78 (#68 bit) lol. So I'm sure one could now jet a bit more with the Boyesen's.

I think overall, just the throttle response increase alone is worth having these! I do like the more throaty sound too. I'm not looking for top end but for someone wanting to squeeze that last jet size and stay stock; it definitely would work.

My only complaint now with the carb / throttle is that last bit of throttle that does nothing. Sigh but I guess that's normal with these from what I read. I only owned one other (China) scooter before that I put together from a box of parts and a fried harness. It also didn't do anything at the top throttle and I spent forever fixing that, So I have hope here. Least I know what about to do to fix it, but that'll be a down the road thing.

Thanks, Bill
Txaero121
BMX
BMX

Post by Txaero121 »

So this is a kx65 reed set from searching that part # ?