Sym dd w/ hona dio engine i need help please!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jacob789
Goped
Goped

Sym dd w/ hona dio engine i need help please!

Post by jacob789 »

Hello so basicly I have a sym DD 50, it has a honda dio engine so just treat it exactly like a honda dio.
It went about 43mph when i bought it, since then i have purchased a technigas next r sports exhaust for it and a 70cc polini cylinder kit but this only increased the top speed by about 2mph, however it did increase the acceleration a lot. Could anyone tell me how to get it up to speed because i have seen videos of my moped hitting almost 70mph and i would really like mine to be like this. Could anyone just help and tell me what parts you think i should get, i have ordered a gear-up kit so im hoping that will do something and i might also order a bigger intake manifold carb and air filter. I know that the variator washer has been removed but does anyone know where any other restrictors could be? i heard there might be one in the intake manifold which is why i want to get a bigger one. just could anyone please help me. thankyou
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Re: Sym dd w/ hona dio engine i need help please!

Post by wiguy05 »

Your stock gearing is limiting your speed.

That is, if you didn't cause significant damage already :smile:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

that is what i thought it was and what the guy at the garage told me, i just wanted to make sure of it, ive ordered a final drive gear-up kit so will that do the trick do you think? i ordered it from scooter assassins, are you familiar with this website? and no i havent caused any significant damage. thankyou very much
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

first ordering gear will help slightly, but not up to 70..lol
right off the bat that pipe is pretty much garbage. its loud and produces not alot of power. People always buy that cause its cheap and chrome ;), should have gotten a V8 instead. Also what polini bore you got? Is it a contesta or a corsa, right there thats another big difference, alos its a 72cc not 70 . Whats your carb set up? stock carb will work on those set up but for real speed you need aftermarket manifold and carb. There are tons more of variables to going fast.... thats just some of the basic stuff.
The biggest trick is porting and tuning thats what makes it go faster..best parts in the world wont do you any good if you cant tune it
Oh yeah when buying gears you have to make sure you pick that right ratio. First off the DD have a different primary gear from a real Honda af/16 motor. so the ratios you see most times advertised are for Dio"honda". Putting to much gears can make you go slower and cause your motor to over heat as well.
have fun and god luck!
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

first ordering gear will help slightly, but not up to 70..lol
right off the bat that pipe is pretty much garbage. its loud and produces not alot of power. People always buy that cause its cheap and chrome , should have gotten a V8 instead. Also what polini bore you got? Is it a contesta or a corsa, right there thats another big difference, alos its a 72cc not 70 . Whats your carb set up? stock carb will work on those set up but for real speed you need aftermarket manifold and carb. There are tons more of variables to going fast.... thats just some of the basic stuff.
The biggest trick is porting and tuning thats what makes it go faster..best parts in the world wont do you any good if you cant tune it
Oh yeah when buying gears you have to make sure you pick that right ratio. First off the DD have a different primary gear from a real Honda af/16 motor. so the ratios you see most times advertised are for Dio"honda". Putting to much gears can make you go slower and cause your motor to over heat as well.
have fun and god luck!
ok i didnt expect it to lol. i didnt know about any other exhausts for my moped until just recently and it isnt that cheap, it was £91 which is like $150 and its not that loud either, why doesnt it produce much power? im not sure which polini bore i have, its in this link http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Po ... -3289.aspx i know its 72 but people i know just call them 70s kits. i have stock carb, intake manifold and air filter but i plan on getting all new ones of them from scooter assassins, will that help a lot with top speed if there all bigger and im getting a 21mm OKO carb do you think? also would a keli variator help a lot? what is porting and tuning in the way youre talking about it? thanks again!
Sym DD
72cc Polini Corsa
Tecnigas Next R exhaust
OKO 21mm carb
CT intake manifold
7.4:1 gearing
Koso variator w/9g rollers
Race clutch w/2000 rpm clutch springs
Bando racing belt

60+mph
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

oh and also my gear-up kit is 16x42, is that right do you know? thanks
Sym DD
72cc Polini Corsa
Tecnigas Next R exhaust
OKO 21mm carb
CT intake manifold
Bando racing belt

60+mph
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

that pipe has wrong cone shapes. it really just made to look like a nice expansion chamber pipe. I wish more people would be aware of that thing..
My question is , how did you get a DD50?
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

I bougght it second hand from someone but it originated from a sym dealer somewhere that isn't far from me. Could you please help me out on my other questions. Thanks
Sym DD
72cc Polini Corsa
Tecnigas Next R exhaust
OKO 21mm carb
CT intake manifold
Bando racing belt

60+mph
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

or could my cdi be limiting me to 45mph? i doubt it though, also could you help me on my other questions. thanks
sum-azn-kid
Elite
Elite

Post by sum-azn-kid »

My sym dd50 hit more then that with stock cdi. Its your gears. I had a Jog with bore kit, pipe,upjet,trans without gears it pulled hard but the top speed was low.
2007 SYM DD50- baby blue 72 "Daily rider"-sold
1988 Honda SB50P-on going project
zuma 125-sold
Ninja 250r-totaled
sum-azn-kid
Elite
Elite

Post by sum-azn-kid »

2007 SYM DD50- baby blue 72 "Daily rider"-sold
1988 Honda SB50P-on going project
zuma 125-sold
Ninja 250r-totaled
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

What are you running for a main jet in your stock carb?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
jacob789
Goped
Goped

Post by jacob789 »

im not sure wot main jet im running in my carb but a proper garage did it so i think they got it right because they probably tried several ones to find the right one. ive been on ur forum on scooter invasion before and read through it all, i even commented on it, thats a coincidence lol, im still waiting for my gear-up kit to arrive, i ordered it from a site called scooter assassins, have you heard of them, if so do you know what quality there stuff is like? here is the link to what i ordered, do you think it is what i need and how fast do you think i will go with it if i have a 72cc kit and technigas pipe. http://www.exportstrength.com/product_i ... cts_id=478

thankyou very much for helping me
Jacob
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

jacob789 wrote:im not sure wot main jet im running in my carb but a proper garage did it so i think they got it right because they probably tried several ones to find the right one. ive been on ur forum on scooter invasion before and read through it all, i even commented on it, thats a coincidence lol, im still waiting for my gear-up kit to arrive, i ordered it from a site called scooter assassins, have you heard of them, if so do you know what quality there stuff is like? here is the link to what i ordered, do you think it is what i need and how fast do you think i will go with it if i have a 72cc kit and technigas pipe. http://www.exportstrength.com/product_i ... cts_id=478

thankyou very much for helping me
Jacob
I am not on scooter invasion net. There is another person that uses "eliteguy" as a username on several forums. I have a "50" on the end of my username. I have bought from Scooter Assassins and always had a good experience. The parts are Taiwan but they hold up fine for daily riding. Those gears would be 9.19:1 in a dio. I don't remember the tooth count of the primary set to tell you the dd50 ratio.

I know some of the Kymco bikes have a restricted pulley boss, maybe SYM does too.
Last edited by eliteguy50 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.