Pully, variator, restrictor plate removal questions.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Pully, variator, restrictor plate removal questions.

Post by Kemmer »

I have a few qustions about the removal of the restrictor plate on my aero 50. In the document in the performance section it says to remove the pully with an impact gun. How do I install it again? Using the impact gun? How do I tell how much I am torquing it when I put it back on? Also, if someone has pictures of this process that would be very helpful. Thanks,
Kemmer
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Well, that's three RAT-TAT-TATs for 28.52 ft-lbs.... just kidding.

You can either blast it on with the gun until it looks tight (this is done often by line mechanics), or you can remove the outer fan shroud and fan. This way, you can grab the nut on the both sides of the crank and torque it to spec with a torque wrench. Your call.

I do both; I usually only torque that to spec if I think it's going to be together for awhile. But I like to monkey with the front pulley; if I know it's going to be off soon I just impact it on. Myspree didn't get his tight; either the clutch or pulley, don't recall. It spun up and blew right through the sidecover. Lots of potential energy in those things, so don't just hand wrench it on "as tight as you can." It isn't enough.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
tjupille
BMX
BMX

Post by tjupille »

Or you can put a strap wrench (used for oil filters) on the plate and use a torque wrench on the nut.

My impact wrench has (approximately) adjustable torque.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yea that sucked... MATT!
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Sweet, I'm going to the moab scooter rally and I need all the MPH I can get. None of my bigger bikes are running at the moment, so I'm going to have to take the Aero and ride at the back of the pack, WAAAAAY back.

Does anyone have a picture or two of the Variator, pully, and the restrictor plate? I don't know what these parts are or what they look like. Thanks,
Kemmer
tjupille
BMX
BMX

Post by tjupille »

You can download the service manual from the Tech Docs section. Has pix and detailed instructions about the variator (no mention of a restrictor, though, and my Aero 50s don't have one AFAIK).
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Oh really, no restritor plate on Aero 50s? I was looking at the manual but I couldn't see anything that looked like a restritor plate. The write up in the document section applies to Aero 50s and Elites. Maybe some aeros have them and some don't? Is 35mph all I'm gonna get without buying gofast parts?
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

most aero's dont because they are classified as scooters and can exceed 35 mph in stock form!
Remember,everyone is human,even if there stupid!
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

Kemmer wrote:Oh really, no restritor plate on Aero 50s? I was looking at the manual but I couldn't see anything that looked like a restritor plate. The write up in the document section applies to Aero 50s and Elites. Maybe some aeros have them and some don't? Is 35mph all I'm gonna get without buying gofast parts?
your aero may have it, take the belt off and the front variator and look,that's the only way you can tell!
Remember,everyone is human,even if there stupid!
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

it does!!!! god yea your aero does!!! what year is it? thats what it depends on... 83-84 dont...
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Ok, but what the * does it look like?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

a plate a cheedoes
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Huh? Sometimes I really can understand you myspree...

Did you mean: Like a plate of cheetos.

If so, what the * does that mean? If not, what were you trying to say?
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

He just post's just to post ..
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Behind the rear front pulley you will see 3 screws, this is the restrictor plate.