66cc bbk. which gears would be best for me to get

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

iceman77
Elite
Elite

66cc bbk. which gears would be best for me to get

Post by iceman77 »

i just a got a 66cc bbk. what gears do you guys think i should run.

thanks in advance
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Re: 66cc bbk. which gears would be best for me to get

Post by sanjuro »

More info needed like pipe, carb, type of bike, variator brand and weights, and your weight. You only get out what you put in.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

sanjuro wrote:More info needed like pipe, carb, type of bike, variator brand and weights, and your weight. You only get out what you put in.
i weigh 185.
stock pipe derestricted.
stock variator w/ stock weights
stock carb. (i have a #78 jet in it right now but thought maybe it should be bigger. if so what size do you think?
bike is an 2001 elite 50
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Doesn't sound like your setup is too aggressive. I would stay in the 10:1 or 9:1 gear ratio range. Anything less, and I don't think you'll have the power to pull the topend. Better off getting excellent acceleration and 50-55 mph in a hurry.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

sanjuro wrote:Doesn't sound like your setup is too aggressive. I would stay in the 10:1 or 9:1 gear ratio range. Anything less, and I don't think you'll have the power to pull the topend. Better off getting excellent acceleration and 50-55 mph in a hurry.
I was hoping for 50 mph but wasn't sure it was possible w/ my setup.
and i would much rather get there quick.
thanks for the help
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Your Main is thr right size for 50cc. Stock airbox 85 minimum. 90-ish or more for a pod filter.

9:1will run ~58 with enough power. Taller gears only sacrifice 0-10 if the variator is tuned correctly., but 8.4s probably won't be any faster except downhill.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Your Main is thr right size for 50cc. Stock airbox 85 minimum. 90-ish or more for a pod filter.

9:1will run ~58 with enough power. Taller gears only sacrifice 0-10 if the variator is tuned correctly., but 8.4s probably won't be any faster except downhill.
so should i go w/ 9:1 gears?
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

If you live in a really hilly area I would do the 10:1 gears, but if most of your travels are on the flats, then 9:1 would be better.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

sanjuro wrote:If you live in a really hilly area I would do the 10:1 gears, but if most of your travels are on the flats, then 9:1 would be better.
there are a lot of hills here. so 10:1 would probably be best.
do you think 50 mph is possible w/ my set up and 10:1 gears?
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I've done 58 mph with 10:1 gears using a MHR 72cc setup so 50+mph should be easy for you to do. You'll love that gearing when the road is twisty and hilly.
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

sanjuro wrote:I've done 58 mph with 10:1 gears using a MHR 72cc setup so 50+mph should be easy for you to do. You'll love that gearing when the road is twisty and hilly.
sweet. thanks for the info.
twisty and hilly are basiclly every road around here
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Why go to the trouble of the BBK and gears without modding the rest of the drive system? I found much better performance using a heavier torque spring and comparable clutch springs to help transfer the power to the wheel. Also, a better help than that was the polini (or other aftermarket) variator/front pulley and lighter, or stock, rollers. I figured I'd get all I could out of it. A performance exhaust almost definitely requires an increase in fuel intake, be careful about it. I Highly Recommend a tach/temp gauge to get an idea of what is going on, and learning about tuning a 2-stroke motor instead of coming here all the time with my questions and problems. Just a few suggestions for 'ya, maybe you already thought about all that. There's a lot of good experience on this site. Good Luck. Happy Trails! :mrgreen:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Personally, I would get the taller gearing done first, and then get a better variator and tune the rollers to suit the gearing. Also, doing one thing at a time allows you to learn and see the differences in the setup. Eventually working your way up to a full array of complementary mods.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

yep, 9 to 1 gears plus other tricks and you will ride 50mph all day long, i miss those days-all 29,000 mi. of them :sad:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
iceman77
Elite
Elite

Post by iceman77 »

bonesv wrote:Why go to the trouble of the BBK and gears without modding the rest of the drive system? I found much better performance using a heavier torque spring and comparable clutch springs to help transfer the power to the wheel. Also, a better help than that was the polini (or other aftermarket) variator/front pulley and lighter, or stock, rollers. I figured I'd get all I could out of it. A performance exhaust almost definitely requires an increase in fuel intake, be careful about it. I Highly Recommend a tach/temp gauge to get an idea of what is going on, and learning about tuning a 2-stroke motor instead of coming here all the time with my questions and problems. Just a few suggestions for 'ya, maybe you already thought about all that. There's a lot of good experience on this site. Good Luck. Happy Trails! :mrgreen:
I know about motors just not much about 2 strokes yet. that's why i joined this forum. the guys on this forum know a lot more than i do about 2 strokes so i figured if i had a question or problem i could ask them.