Aero 80 2 stroke engine

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Aero 80 2 stroke engine

Post by Jamie_Miles »

I know where I can get a 80 cc 2 stroke engine that the guy says came out of a Honda Aero 80.

Does anyone know if it would be possible mount this engine in a Spree? Looks like the pivot point where it connects to the frame is very similar.

I've had my spree for about 6 years put well over 6500 miles on it and am on my second 50cc engine.

I'm lookin for some more power and a little more top speed. I figgure instead of trying to choke more out of the little 50cc engine I might as well start off with a bigger engine in the first place.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this engine swap before I go and buy the engine and try it myself.

Thanks!
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

i havent heard of it before but by all means, please take pics and keep us informed if you do that!
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

I went ahead and bought the engine (30 bucks). Will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get around to messing with it. I will definately take pictures and keep you guys updated as I go. :)
Comeing soon: Possibly the fastest Spree in the world...
spoolboyy
Noob
Noob

mhm

Post by spoolboyy »

i too have wondered if this was a possible mod. i found a spree with 6600 miles on it i can pick up for 150 bones. it runs good, but i wonder how much longer the 50cc will last.

keep us posted.

-adam
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Ohh, you would be amaized. I sold my first one with about 9,000, now it has about another 300 or more added onto that total. Those things will last as long as you permit them to. All you have to to is take care of them. (carb clean, 2-cycle oil, gas... haha) it is not hard. But eventually you will need to re-build the engine (new rings, maybe a piston). The bearings usually hold out a long time unless introduced to moistutre. Also, after a long time the muffler will usually clog up frim carbon overdose. But that is about it really. They are great efficnet means of transportation.

-Tippmann98
spreedoc
Noob
Noob

Post by spreedoc »

I know you can hook up and mount an aero 50 engine on a Spree with no problem. The wire harness hooks right up, I think the only thing I had to mess with was the auto-bystarter wires were backwords. The front engine mount hooks right up, with all the spree mounts gone just the frame. A few shorter gas lines and it was a done deal. But like I said the engine I swaped was off an aero 50. It will hit around 40 and is kind of scary the best part is the off the line dig this thing gets up there fast (for a moped). I also used a newer 86 frame with the single bystarter connection. By the way my friend calls this thing the spaero.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

There are several engines swaps that will work. An Aero 50 is the cleanest, this gets you a variator and a slightly different rear gearing. The variator is why the Aero 50 launches better, and has a higher top speed as well.

An Elite 50 will also go in with minor mods, I'm told. I'm interested to hear how the Aero 80 goes in.

I'll bet it's scary at 40 MPH. The Spree's front suspension is primative. MrFixit re-raked the front end on his 3 degrees, which would help with stability at higher speeds. I would be temped to find an Aero 50 front fork and fender, which I believe will bolt up and is a better design.
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

Sorry for never getting back to you guys on this. I'm still rideing the ol' Spree around, just turned over 7,500 miles.

I never tried the engine, some guy gave me 70 bucks for it, hard to resist that kinda profit, and I kinda lost intrest in trying it since the engine needed a carb and I couldn't find one for a decent price.

I will be looking for another RUNNING engine to try, my intrest is getting fired back up on this again. If you know where I could find one fairly cheap, let me know.

I haven't forgotten about this forum, just been busy ridein the spree and working on a 70' Ford Maverick I got a few weeks ago. My brother has also been rideing the spree back and forth to work for the past month or so now (about a 6 mile round trip on Mondays, Wensdays and Fridays.) He works in produce at a grocery store and the store manager actually lets him park it in the break room! He rolls it right through the middle of the store and out the front door every day, what a sight that is.

Never did have anymore problems with the cops. Talk to you guys later. 8)
Comeing soon: Possibly the fastest Spree in the world...