Ported a spree intake now have to clean up what I found...

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Ported a spree intake now have to clean up what I found...

Post by patthesoundguy »

$20 spare intake tube ported... Man I love that carbide burr bit. But when I pulled the intake off to swap it out I found something that is going to keep me awake until I fix it.
Should I just leave it be, The top end is much smoother with the intake tube done, will I get any better results by cleaning the ports in the case. I am going to upgrade the reeds too. My main question is is it possible to grind on that port with out filling the crankcase with lovley shards of aluminium? I was thinking maybe I could tape them shut inside further or tape off inside the case with the cylinder off. It's prob. a bad Idea so someone talk me out it. :crazy: LOL
Here are the results of my Intake tube porting which I am very happy with.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Re: Ported a spree intake now have to clean up what I found.

Post by Red Eft Performance »

It can be done. Of course there is risk involved. Ive done it before using tape and plastic bag then packing it with clay. The clay does a very good job of keeping stuff out. The other thing I did was put a small hose on a shop vac and ran the vac at the same time I was porting. Having the vac hose sucking while I ported removed the debris right before it had a chance to land.

Attempt this at your own risk.
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

You will never get it 100% the way you want it til you split the case.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Without a bigger carb and a bigger reed opening, you wasted your time.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

Yes, I am a noob - but I wouldn't attempt tidying up those case ports unless it was in pieces. If any shavings find an new home inside the engine you'll be pulling it apart for a whole different reason other than cleaning it out. Your intake looks great BTW, should have a nice clean flow passing through it now! :2thumbs:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Thanks guys for talking me out of it, I'm gonna leave it alone. Which is what I wanted to hear I don't want to risk getting anything in the crankcase. And Bear makes a really good point it would really be a waste of time to open the ports on the case with out having a bigger carb to feed it. I kinda thought that while I was staring into those ports yesterday but it is good to hear that kind of stuff from the master. I don't think porting that intake pipe was a total waste of time though, I knew that without a bigger carb and such I wouldn't really get huge results if any, but results I did get were a much smoother top end which I really like. It was also really fun getting all zen with the carbide burr. That's also why I got the cheap intake for $20 on ebay so I could play with it without worrying about being able to return to stock reeds and intake pipe if porting it really sucked.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I looked at the intake on the case just now because my neew malossi reeds showed up and it doesnt look so bad. Now I did make another discovery take a look at the reed cages...
the one on the right is the original 1984 cage the left is the one that came with the intake. the newer one is sooo much bigger inside. so glad I got it.
Now my question is when I put the new reeds on do I have anything to gain by bending the reed stopper open a little more? Will that make any more flow, will it affect either top end or low end or both? Or will it destroy the reeds. I had been told by a two stroke god one time what to do but that was a long time ago. Something tells me to bend it back a tad
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

which stopper of the would be better the more curvy one or the other one? Im going to assemble it the way it is for now as I can always go back and change it when I know what to do.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Do not use the reeds stops with the carbon fiber reeds.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Bear45-70 wrote:Do not use the reeds stops with the carbon fiber reeds.
so do I just put the reeds on with the screws and no little bar the reeds diddn't come with a little bar like the boyson reeds do? Or do I need to hack the stopper up to make one? The reeds say fibreglass on them is that the same as carbon fibre? It looks like if I use the lockwashers againts the reed it's gonna go crunch!
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

patthesoundguy wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Do not use the reeds stops with the carbon fiber reeds.
so do I just put the reeds on with the screws and no little bar the reeds diddn't come with a little bar like the boyson reeds do? Or do I need to hack the stopper up to make one? The reeds say fibreglass on them is that the same as carbon fibre? It looks like if I use the lockwashers againts the reed it's gonna go crunch!
You make a bar by chopping off the reed stop. making sure you round off the edges that are against the reed. Like the one on the right.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Thanks Bear!!! made one from scratch so I diddn't have to hack a perfectly good stopper.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Got it all back together and got one run up the hill and back before I had to head to the gig. All I can say is wow I love those reeds! the throttle response is sweet all across the board. No top speed numbers yet because I keep runnung out of road before I can max it out.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

patthesoundguy wrote:Got it all back together and got one run up the hill and back before I had to head to the gig. All I can say is wow I love those reeds! the throttle response is sweet all across the board. No top speed numbers yet because I keep runnung out of road before I can max it out.

your top speed will not change from new reeds
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Trafficjamz wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:Got it all back together and got one run up the hill and back before I had to head to the gig. All I can say is wow I love those reeds! the throttle response is sweet all across the board. No top speed numbers yet because I keep runnung out of road before I can max it out.

your top speed will not change from new reeds
yeah I know but it will from the new 1/2" wide belt :wink:
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock