ruima 80cc BBK install failure (1996 SA50)

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: ruima 80cc BBK install failure (1996 SA50)

Post by tazland001 »

Never use a mallet to install the jug. If you take the intake manifold off it will go on much smoother and straight.

Taz
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

kingkamehameha wrote:Sorry your having a difficult time. First time doing anything is always rough. Make sure you didnt get any shavings in the case. Do the bolts go in when the jug is completely off? They make head stud kits but ive never once had problems using the stock bolts. Defiantely never ever use a mallet while installing your bore. Ever
Thanks. I had stuffed a rag in the case just in case any shavings were present to keep them out. The bolts do go in when the jug is off. I learned about the mallet. No damage due to that, but when I went for the reinstall, I made sure to grease everything up with 2-stroke oil to ease install. Link to head-stud kit? That seems like an easy solution.
LoveMyHonda wrote: You can NOT use the stock length bolts for a 50 mm jug, you should use studs or longer bolts. If you side by side the jugs you will see the problem.
The 2 closer to the wheel fit fine. The guy above you had a ok time with stock bolts, though. Link to longer bolts? That also seems like an easy solution.
tazland001 wrote: Never use a mallet to install the jug. If you take the intake manifold off it will go on much smoother and straight.
Taz
Mallet is put away. :o Greased the jug, all is good at that aspect.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Theres a guy on here who sells head stud kits. I dont think king has installed a 50mm jug, he uses malossi jugs which dont need any longer bolts. I know for a fact you cant use stock bolts on a ruima 50mm jug. Just put the 2 jugs next to each other and it will be obvious.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Tru72 sells the stud kit. Good seller.
Also theyre talking about the material that got into the bottom of the case while you blew up your last jug. You may not be able to see it but its in there, it didnt just disappear after you blew it up. You must split your cases and get that old junk out, and while your at it cut the boost port area to match that ruima or youre going to melt another piston.
400 degrees is MAX you shouldnt aim for.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

I prevented shavings from entering the case with a rag.
Who has the longer bolts?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

If the engine blew up while you were running it I dont see how you prevented anything from dropping down into your case. Im not sure how else to say it to you except the piston parts didnt disappear, they had to go somewhere and that would be the case or the exhaust. You with a rag after the fact is not in the equation.
The local hardware store might have bolts, or try google, or you can get studs from tru72
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

LoveMyHonda wrote:If the engine blew up while you were running it I dont see how you prevented anything from dropping down into your case. Im not sure how else to say it to you except the piston parts didnt disappear, they had to go somewhere and that would be the case or the exhaust. You with a rag after the fact is not in the equation.
The local hardware store might have bolts, or try google, or you can get studs from tru72
What? What do you think happened to my bike? Piston parts? From the nothing wrong with it brand new piston? Exhaust? The one that hasn't been attached to the bike since 2010?
LoveMyHonda wrote: Also theyre talking about the material that got into the bottom of the case while you blew up your last jug. You may not be able to see it but its in there, it didnt just disappear after you blew it up. You must split your cases and get that old junk out, and while your at it cut the boost port area to match that ruima or youre going to melt another piston.
Old Jug and bore were working fine, just got a good deal on a kit from Taz.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I assumed you replaced a bad jug, most people dont replace a good running one. Did you cut the boost port for the 50mm? Youll notice its a bit larger.
Last edited by LMH on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

Nope, have been lucky in that aspect. I was buying a Spree kit for my old SB50 from Taz and he had a Ruima kit that needed gaskets for cheap, went for both, ordered gaskets from Ruima (they only charged me shipping, expensive shipping) so it still ended up being a reasonable purchase.
I haven't done any cutting of anything. Not cutting this port will be detrimental, or just half-assing the upgrade?
Last edited by Eft37 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Taz is awesome, him,tru72, and redeft are great sellers.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

If we're going on about great sellers:
Taz
Wheelman
VT Cycles
Treatland.tv

all have my vote.
kryptonite
Spree
Spree

Post by kryptonite »

use a bigger hammer hehehe..... NO dont do that! ... did you split the case and cut the boost port bigger???
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

Trying not to drop the engine out of the bike.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

Thanks to Tru72 I may have a running bike in the near future.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

So, the engine shroud/fan cover barely fits over this big bore kit. I had to take the rubber boot off the spark boot to get the plug plugged in. How do I solve this?