Acceleration Questiom

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

JT808
Noob
Noob

Acceleration Questiom

Post by JT808 »

photo-14.JPG
photo-14.JPG (126.26 KiB) Viewed 5406 times
Hi im new to the elite world and just bought a 1996 Honda Elite SR. Im trying to make it faster and from what my friends told me to buy were

-72cc Polini Corsa Bore kit
-8.3 to 1 gears
-Keli Varitaor and Sef ramp
-1500 clutch spring
-1000 shoe springs
-typhoon exhaust
-aftermarket manifold
-28mm oko carburator

i rode my friends elite and he has a similar steup just alot more upgrades and while riding his bike it feels like it never stops accelerating and just gets faster and faster. His bike guarantee goes 100mph+ and i was wondering if anyone knows how to make my bike the same way as if it jus keeps accelerating and never tops out at one speed without having to spend thousands of dollars like my friend has. im not trying to go just as fat i just like the feeling of fast speed and alot of acceleration.
Need Help
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Acceleration Questiom

Post by deuce217 »

The 100mph is not possible with those gears(and I am not intending to offend you). That sounds like a good setup I prefer a smaller carb for better throttle response. The gears will give you good acceleration with the proper rollers, one thing that matters is your weight vs your friends, if you are about the same weight maybe use the same ones for a starting point and go from there. Enjoy, you have yourself a great scooter to mod.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

here some help on speed thing ..
its set for a 90/90 tire ..
swimmingfree

handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
JT808
Noob
Noob

Post by JT808 »

What gears would you recomend *deuce217* . Im looking more for top end but i still want a little bottom end. And i weigh about 150lbs same as my friend. What kind of rollers do you think i should start with. My friend wont tell me his exact setup because he doesnt want me to beat him so thats the goal im shooting for is to beat him or atleast keep up. Thanks for the advice by the way deuce217.

swimmingfree thanks for that grid but im having a hard time understanding how to use that if u know an easier way to explain it id really appreciate it thanks
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

rpm is red
gears blue
yellow speed
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

[quote="JT808"]What gears would you recomend *deuce217* . Im looking more for top end but i still want a little bottom end. And i weigh about 150lbs same as my friend. What kind of rollers do you think i should start with. My friend wont tell me his exact setup because he doesnt want me to beat him so thats the goal im shooting for is to beat him or atleast keep up. Thanks for the advice by the way deuce217.

with you weighing only 150lbs, your gonna love any gears from the 8 or 9-1 ratio. I would try to keep your gearing around 9-1 for a zippy around town ride. If you are curious what gear ratio your buddy has all you need to do is rotate his back tire one revolution while on the center stand, and count how many times the clutch bell rotates.
50mm BBK (tai)
V-8 pipe
JT808
Noob
Noob

Post by JT808 »

*deuce217* thanks ill try and play around with my gears but for now what weights should i run with the 8 to 1 gears? and what center spring and shoe springs should i use because i think the 1000 shoe springs are to weak.*

*swimmingfree* thanks now i understand
eliteE85
Goped
Goped

Post by eliteE85 »

id suggest getting a few types of springs of each- tuning scooters is not always the same bike to bike
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The posts above suggest that different gears require different weights and/or springs. They do not.

Y'see, for best performance, the weight/spring combination must keep the engine RPM at the fattest part of the torque curve for that particular engine. This ensures that the greatest power is applied to the clutch shaft.

What the transmission does "downstream" with that power doesn't matter "upstream" - the engine just needs to spin at the correct speed. The outcome in terms of acceleration and top speed will vary with gears, but the ideal belt-drive setup is the same for all gears.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Hey, let me show up and run the balls off your friend this way both of you have nothing :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
JT808
Noob
Noob

Post by JT808 »

*maddog* come to hawaii and race him his bike is beating watercooled bikes too and hes only running a 72cc polini stock crank its unreal.

*Wheelman-111* can u give me like a setup to start with because im still kind of learning and i dont really understand what you mean by dowwnstream and upstream and belt-drive setup. Sorry i dont know what it all means but im slowly learning
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

I live on the rock and i smoke locals all the time, glad your learning :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Upstream = What the Engine crankshaft is doing.
Downstream = The torque applied to the Clutch shaft.

The engine RPM is held constant by the belt drive. What happens between the clutch shaft and the rear wheel has no effect on the engine's RPM except:

1. Before the clutch becomes fully engaged, taller gears will take off slower, say 0 to 8 or 10 or 12 MPH.
2. After the belt drive reaches the limits of travel. (Belt on the rim of the front pulley, down at the hub of the rear pulley.)

In between those events, gears don't seem to affect acceleration very much. RPM stays constant at 7, 8, 9, or 10K RPM and speed increases according to the torque the engine has. Gears do play a part in determining top speed if they're too "short" and the engine reaches its max RPM with power to spare but not enough "overdrive" to use that power.

Ride a 10-speed (or 27 or 30-speed) bicycle to get some idea about this. Legs spinning wildly but the bike's only going 15 MPH... But unlike taking off in 10th gear on a bicycle, the scooter's belt drive gives good acceleration, even with tall transmission gears, if the variator is tuned properly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kauaikai
BMX
BMX

Post by kauaikai »

Go with the 28 oko!!! You won't be disappointed. I had a 24 oko it was good but with the 28 it got better!!!
sym dd50
corsa scorp
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Wheelman is dropping some knowledge! Good description, that helps me out.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Upstream = What the Engine crankshaft is doing.
Downstream = The torque applied to the Clutch shaft.

The engine RPM is held constant by the belt drive. What happens between the clutch shaft and the rear wheel has no effect on the engine's RPM except:

1. Before the clutch becomes fully engaged, taller gears will take off slower, say 0 to 8 or 10 or 12 MPH.
2. After the belt drive reaches the limits of travel. (Belt on the rim of the front pulley, down at the hub of the rear pulley.)

In between those events, gears don't seem to affect acceleration very much. RPM stays constant at 7, 8, 9, or 10K RPM and speed increases according to the torque the engine has. Gears do play a part in determining top speed if they're too "short" and the engine reaches its max RPM with power to spare but not enough "overdrive" to use that power.

Ride a 10-speed (or 27 or 30-speed) bicycle to get some idea about this. Legs spinning wildly but the bike's only going 15 MPH... But unlike taking off in 10th gear on a bicycle, the scooter's belt drive gives good acceleration, even with tall transmission gears, if the variator is tuned properly.
50mm BBK (tai)
V-8 pipe