99 Elite SR. Starting to mod questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 99 Elite SR. Starting to mod questions

Post by paulpauly7 »

i have the tto temp and tto rpm guages and a kitico 120kmh speed which i had percisely calibrated at a shop here its as good as any of the gps units ive taken out with me.

Oh and the 69.9 wasnt with the malossi crank that was the stock crank its in pieces now so i can fit the malossi crank a fresh cleaner ported block and ive had the block profeshionally polised.Kinda looks chrome now I like shiny things mates here call me magpie
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

How come your selling already? Time for a new project? If you keep it we should cruise when my aero is finished. I live right near York, ME
coppah37
BMX
BMX

Post by coppah37 »

Yeah I'm running at 65 not a corsa but I did do some porting of both the exhaust port and the transfers. That definitely helped a lot. I don't see the need for the corsa at this point haha. The 90/90 michelin is a good tire feels surprisingly stable at top speed. Its a michelin S1 tire running one in front and rear and yes WITH tubes. I got my PG on ebay from fast2wheels (I think it might even be a board member) for 149.99 and $20 to ship. I'm running a stock clutch with a 1000 rpm (red) torque spring. Everyone says 8.44 gears for these but I say 9:1 is perfect. still screams through town and well you already know my 65mph top speed. AND 65 was all I had room for before catching traffic it was still pulling hard. I'll get pics up later tonight.

and i posted on craigslist to see what I could get for it. The main thrill for me is in the wrenching and tuning on these to see what I can get them to do.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

What are the different effects (+/-) of running tubeless vs tubed? And what jets did you end up with? Thanks.
coppah37
BMX
BMX

Post by coppah37 »

Running with a tube leaves a safety net in case of a flat or blowout. The stock wheels i believe have to use tube because they arent air tight. Honda metropolitan wheels are air tight and tubless rims and they are slightly wider. My jets are 125 main 48 pilot needle clip at the top. I could probably go to a 130 main to keep the temps a little lower. My temps now are about 350-360 degrees if I'm wide open up a big hill or something. Otherwise I'm at about 320-330 degrees
coppah37
BMX
BMX

Post by coppah37 »

Well I ended up selling it today. Kinda sad to see it go but I'm open for another project maybe something a little different like a dreaded 4 stroke :twisted:

Here's some of the latest pics i took before selling

Shaved down the luggage rack for a sleeker look

Oh and just in case there's any non believers (yes it's set up correctly)
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Thanks so much for posting all of your results. Really helped me with my upcoming build. I will start posting it as soon as all the parts arrive!
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

maddog wrote:The next thing is to get 9 to 1 gears this will top you out at 54mpg
I was able to ring 59mph out of a stock trans with my corsa, the zx trans only will do 55mph with the 654 belt, i'm trying a 660 soon, hoping to get to 59mph and have the better take off than the 654 belt.

If you want to cruise at 55, don't get 9:1 gears like I have. Its great from 0-45 ish, but then slows down on acceleration and after revving the motor out will get to 55. I would get 8.44:1 to cruise at 55 and have a bit on reserve to go a bit faster if needed. I havn't personally tried the 8.44:1 gears yet, but that's what I heard.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

bfowler wrote:65 mph and you're not even running corsa?? Seems like people with similar set ups and corsa are maxing out around there so congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how much did you get the pg short for? And what kind of clutch are you using? I'm starting to order all my parts for a similar build. Only difference will be 8.44:1 gears instead of 9:1 and I will also be running a corsa. Look forward to comparing results with you!
wow, i must have gotten a bad corsa or you've got some mad porting skills. Did you GPS verify the 65mph? my corsa pg long 24mm oko and 9:1 wasn't able to hit those speeds and i verified with sharpie marks that i was maxing out the variator on the stock trans with keli variator, not quite maxing out the zx trans and 654 belt with the ruckus variator yet.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If your marks show you don't max out the variator, it's not the belt length. What RPM shows when you go WOT? If it's very high, that might be the issue.

Longer belt takes off quicker, but the added length keeps the rear belt loop farther from center, reducing top speed. If you can't go above 60 with the 654, chances are it will be slower with the 660, slower still with a 669. Consider adding 3 grams (0.5 each roller) and re-test top speed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

has any body tried the continental 90/90-10 zippy 1 http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B0043YICHM I like the tread pattern a lot. I was thinking of running the tires with the tubes so I dont have to buy new rims to go tubeless.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
coppah37
BMX
BMX

Post by coppah37 »

steffen707 wrote:
bfowler wrote:65 mph and you're not even running corsa?? Seems like people with similar set ups and corsa are maxing out around there so congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how much did you get the pg short for? And what kind of clutch are you using? I'm starting to order all my parts for a similar build. Only difference will be 8.44:1 gears instead of 9:1 and I will also be running a corsa. Look forward to comparing results with you!
wow, i must have gotten a bad corsa or you've got some mad porting skills. Did you GPS verify the 65mph? my corsa pg long 24mm oko and 9:1 wasn't able to hit those speeds and i verified with sharpie marks that i was maxing out the variator on the stock trans with keli variator, not quite maxing out the zx trans and 654 belt with the ruckus variator yet.
I didn't GPS verify 65 but I did GPS verify 58 when i installed my pg short with stock gears so the gauge was reading accurate. As for porting all I did was smooth the exhaust out to the size of the exhaust gasket, raise the exhaust port timing 2 piston ring widths, and knife edge the transfer port bridges along with some slight smoothing. With stock gears I was running 58-59 mph at 10500 rpm and it got there in a hurry. The 9:1 gears with a red contra spring and lighter variator weights had a slight bog from a stop (about 1 second) then took off like a bat outta * to about 57, then it pulled steadily up to the 65 you see above. Also i was doing 1000 rpm less than before so I think It still had more speed in it with finer tuning but I was happy.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

I'll do some tests tomorrow. I wonder if it's the boss length limiting the belt travel.

I'll also check my weights and see how those affect top speed.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

deuce217 wrote:has any body tried the continental 90/90-10 zippy 1 http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B0043YICHM I like the tread pattern a lot. I was thinking of running the tires with the tubes so I dont have to buy new rims to go tubeless.
That's the only tire I've purchased in the last 4. Yrs. great contact, great grip, and great price. Motorcyclesuperstore.com has them for under 40, free shipping.