28mm OKO dumping fuel from overflow- Ideas?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

sleeperelite
BMX
BMX

28mm OKO dumping fuel from overflow- Ideas?

Post by sleeperelite »

Hey all,

Here's my deal, swapped an AF16 into my 89 SA50. Has a Polini Contessa BBK with said 28mm OKO carb on a chrome CT intake. Finally got my fuel delivery and spark issues solved. Motor will start and run, consistently but bogged down enough to where the clutch will not engage except for 1 lucky testing. However, it pours gas from the carb bowl's overflow. This carb has no screw to open and close the drain, my assumption is that this should be no issue if the carb and motor are functioning properly.

Took the carb apart twice and cleaned all the jets and assorted ports. Have gotten so results adjusting the tab on the carb's float but nothing ideal. The float assembly itself is starting to get a bit ragged from all my adjusting(bending) of the tab that manipulates the float needle/valve.

Was thinking maybe getting the rebuild kit for the carb, since its less than 20 bucks, and return the float to its stock positioning.

Any ideas if my problem may be more? Could my carb be just one of the bad ones and may need replacing altogether? My belief is that this BBK should accomodate this carb with no problems......
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 28mm OKO dumping fuel from overflow- Ideas?

Post by paulpauly7 »

your float level is messed up get the rebuild kit and readjust
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Do you really need a rebuild kit, isn't the float frame steel in those carbs, can't you just bend it back. As long as the floats float and the float valve is good, I say just bend it so it sits right. But it sounds like the float valve is leaking now that I read more carefully. . Pull the carb with the bowl off and blow gently in the fuel line inlet on the carb while lightly lifting the float and you can see feel and hear where the floats stop the flow with the needle valve. Been adjusting floats like that for a loooongggg time. Yes a rebuild kit is cheap and that's great, but in the meantime waiting for it you may get it working without it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

while having the float needle out also do this just in case. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... Valve_Seat
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

i have adjusted my 21mm a million times and it still spits gas out the overflow. your float probably needs to be adjuated yes but these carbs are so cheaply made even the keihin pwk is the cheapest carb honda uses. i have gone to arreche myself the Oko is just a headache sometimes
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
sleeperelite
BMX
BMX

Post by sleeperelite »

When I pull the carb off again after the weekend, I will delve deeper into the float valve itself. I'll give it a more serious cleaning and polish.

The float frame is metal but I've definitely mangled it enough that its form is no longer true, or at least its bent to the point that my OCD is finished with it.

Thanks for the link to wheelman's breakdown. The wiki on here is solid!

The consensus I've been receiving about the OKO carb has been pretty similar to GY6 motors, you may be lucky to get a good one but don't be surprised at all when issues start to arise.

I've been eyeing up the Polini's 28mm carb. Anyone running this with their setup?
sleeperelite
BMX
BMX

Post by sleeperelite »

Time for closure- rebuilt and recleaned the OKO and its sterling again. I ended up grabbing the Polini carb as well and decided I'm gonna keep that one on the bike with a new black intake.

Soon to come- 28mm OKO carb and chrome CT intake for sale