Dr. Pulley for an Aero?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Dr. Pulley for an Aero?

Post by abreen89 »

I am searching for some cheap and easy ways to get a few more mph out of my 86' aero 50. I was told that the Dr. Pulley sliders are the way to go. Anyone ever use them on their aero's? Do they fit the stock variator ive been searching google all night and have yet to find anything that says it fits the stock variator.
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Re: Dr. Pulley for an Aero?

Post by mmeadows »

they make ones that do fit the stock variator/aftermarket variators. but what variator are you using? if its the stock one that might be the problem, get a honda ruckus variator.

cheap with drastic improvement
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
nhaven
Noob
Noob

Post by nhaven »

Any 16x13 rollers or sliders will fit in the nb50 variator.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

mmeadows wrote:they make ones that do fit the stock variator/aftermarket variators. but what variator are you using? if its the stock one that might be the problem, get a honda ruckus variator.

cheap with drastic improvement
which ruckus variators are you talking about all the ones i am finding are pretty exspensive.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

nhaven wrote:Any 16x13 rollers or sliders will fit in the nb50 variator.
and they do make sliders for that equivalent size as well ( ive only heard bad reviews however what makes you want them?)

total rukus forum has tons. those guys all upgrade variators and have old ones lying around.
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

there is also one in the f.s section
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

mmeadows wrote:
nhaven wrote:Any 16x13 rollers or sliders will fit in the nb50 variator.
and they do make sliders for that equivalent size as well ( ive only heard bad reviews however what makes you want them?)

total rukus forum has tons. those guys all upgrade variators and have old ones lying around.
so i dont need a performance ruckus variator just any ruckus variator will work? Sorry ive never this is my first bike with a variator never played with them before.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My Dr pulley sliders are awesome so far :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Ruck stock vario is about 5mm bigger than the AF variators- about 92 vs 87.5mm. It may be necessary to shave the crankcase about the starter housing to make room for it . The payoff is a little taller overdrive gearing that can translate, if your engine makes enough power, to a few MPH higher top speed. Hinds quality is good. To do better, Polini-for-ruckus is bigger still. Needs more shaving at 95mm .
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The Ruck stock vario is about 5mm bigger than the AF variators- about 92 vs 87.5mm. It may be necessary to shave the crankcase about the starter housing to make room for it . The payoff is a little taller overdrive gearing that can translate, if your engine makes enough power, to a few MPH higher top speed. Hinds quality is good. To do better, Polini-for-ruckus is bigger still. Needs more shaving at 95mm .
what about just getting one of taz's variators? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Elite-S-S ... 564a7f9edf

right now im dealing with a restricted ramp plate so im not getting anything over 35 mph so im thinking a new clean derestricted variator will give me those few more mph im after.
skinnye
Noob
Noob

Post by skinnye »

I'm running a stock ruckus variator with the Aero weights and I max the speedometer on the flats, no other mods. The needle hits the F on the fuel gauge. It was $15 shipped, you can use a metropolitan variator as well since they use the same engine.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

skinnye wrote:I'm running a stock ruckus variator with the Aero weights and I max the speedometer on the flats, no other mods. The needle hits the F on the fuel gauge. It was $15 shipped, you can use a metropolitan variator as well since they use the same engine.
wow shoot me a link to the variator you use?
skinnye
Noob
Noob

Post by skinnye »

It's just the stock ruckus variator I bought it off of a forum member at totalruckus. I had to shave a little off the trans case to make it fit but that's all. I'd say it does an easy 40mph on the flats and around 45 down hill, not gps verified.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

abreen we can only tell you in so many ways to buy the stock rukus variator :) although good tip that you can use the metro vari ( cant veryfi that )

make a screen name on the other forums and ask post a wanted add. rukus variators are upgraded quickly and the old ones become garbage to the PO
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Strapline raises a good point. The Met belt is different from the Ruckus in more than one way. For one thing - I just ordered a Met belt as a gift for my brother's 2004. The vendor sent me a Ruckus one; his listing was wrong. It's 785mm long, or about 4" too long for Met and Elites. Maybe it's the fat tires on the Ruck needing a longer swingarm?

Anyway, the Met belt is also 28 degrees of V-Angle, not 30. But the length, at 661mm, almost splits the difference between pokey-takeoff/High Top Speed 654mm belts for ZX and the Better take-off/lower top speed 669 ZX belt. Anyway, the V-Angle thing may or may not be a Big Deal. To my knowledge, nobody's reported using a Met belt on a ZX trans so far.

My brother may be getting a "slightly used" belt when I give it to him. :) I'll report in Flash 6 once the correct Met belt arrives.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH