2001 Elite S 50: Big Bore Recommendations

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Re: 2001 Elite S 50: Big Bore Recommendations

Post by W8kbrder »

Hey guys,

What type of acceleration difference are you going to see with a big bore kit?

Top speed is great and all...but when it takes abosolutely forever to get up to that top speed.....well thats not as fun to me. Especially when you are driving around town in stop and go traffic....I'll take acceleration over top seed.

So with that said....how much of a difference will the big bore kit do for a Honda Elite S? I will say the new 1.5k center spring and 2k clutch grabbers made a big difference over stock...but still once you get up to 30...35mph....the acceleration to 45-50mph is pretty slow.
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

A 50mm BBK makes a HUGE difference in acceleration. You can get the jump on most cars when the light turns green, although the Corvettes will gradually pull ahead :-) <-- joke Watch you don't upend it if you bang on the throttle! The larger BBKs (50mm bore) require a larger exhaust system since they have a 34mm inlet pipe (see photo). 9:1 gears will slow down the acceleration slightly, but give you more top speed. For reliability, stay with the stock carb with a #90 jet, and a Kevlar belt. Bigger carbs are a blast, but they decrease reliability, increase CHT, and get overly hot at top speed. I think the stock carb is much easier to live with if you're commuting. For all out crazy-* speed, get a good quality tunable 2-stroke carb that allows over-rich settings at WOT so you don't blow it up. This is serious: you can get 2-stroke scooters going so hot and fast that the piston will melt, so pay attention to temperatures!
Attachments
Dio_exhaust_size.jpg
Dio_exhaust_size.jpg (105.54 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

JJ Joseph wrote:A 50mm BBK makes a HUGE difference in acceleration. You can get the jump on most cars when the light turns green, although the Corvettes will gradually pull ahead :-) <-- joke Watch you don't upend it if you bang on the throttle! The larger BBKs (50mm bore) require a larger exhaust system since they have a 34mm inlet pipe (see photo). 9:1 gears will slow down the acceleration slightly, but give you more top speed. For reliability, stay with the stock carb with a #90 jet, and a Kevlar belt. Bigger carbs are a blast, but they decrease reliability, increase CHT, and get overly hot at top speed. I think the stock carb is much easier to live with if you're commuting. For all out crazy-* speed, get a good quality tunable 2-stroke carb that allows over-rich settings at WOT so you don't blow it up. This is serious: you can get 2-stroke scooters going so hot and fast that the piston will melt, so pay attention to temperatures!
Bigger carbs do not decrease reliability unless the user doesnt know basic tuning. You dont have to go with a bigger carb but it is advised to go with a carb that has a changeable pilot. Stock carbs arent the best choice. 24-28mm is preffered by most 72cc builders
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

you can go 72cc bore with stock pipe s/sr, buy after market cab that work on stock intake manifold/ air box. 60mph plus.. :surprise:

just go a corsa or contesta bore, dont like to port the crankcase.. :thumbwink:
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Great info. I think what I'm going for is something that will increase takeoff speed and top speed...but will be somewhat reliable at WOT for 10 min at a time.

So with everything
JJ Joseph wrote:A 50mm BBK makes a HUGE difference in acceleration. You can get the jump on most cars when the light turns green, although the Corvettes will gradually pull ahead :-) <-- joke Watch you don't upend it if you bang on the throttle! The larger BBKs (50mm bore) require a larger exhaust system since they have a 34mm inlet pipe (see photo). 9:1 gears will slow down the acceleration slightly, but give you more top speed. For reliability, stay with the stock carb with a #90 jet, and a Kevlar belt. Bigger carbs are a blast, but they decrease reliability, increase CHT, and get overly hot at top speed. I think the stock carb is much easier to live with if you're commuting. For all out crazy-* speed, get a good quality tunable 2-stroke carb that allows over-rich settings at WOT so you don't blow it up. This is serious: you can get 2-stroke scooters going so hot and fast that the piston will melt, so pay attention to temperatures!
"watch that you don't upend it if you bang on the throttle" - this quote does it for me...thats what I was looking for.

When I go with a bigger carb...I was going to go the OKO route...most likely the smaller of the series...something slightly bigger than stock. I'll most likely go with a 47mm BBK. I'm guessing thats a good entry level BBK that will increase some power without making anything crazy or complex. I currently have a .88 main jet in my stock carb...so bumping up to a .90 wouldnt' be a problem. Really the only purpose of this scooter is to take me back and fourth from my house over to the island to surf...which is about a 2 mile commute....and of course some other local trips to close-by restaurants,etc. So I really don't need all out crazy speed....just nice to get up to vehicle traffic speed quickly and stay with it rather than get passed. Most of the roads around my home are 45mph...no highway...and once you're over the drawbridge onto the island, its 35mph. I think my goal will be to reach 60mph tops....55mph would be great. Take a look at my sig...I think I'm on the right track...just need the BBK, slightly bigger carb, and exhaust. I'll mostly likely install a temp gauge for good measure...just so I know how hot the head gets.

I think this is the setup I'll go with:

-POLINI 72cc Corsa Elite BBK
-OKO 28mm CARBURETOR
-Dual reed intake manifold
-YMS performance exhaust (either the regular or V8 typoon..not sure whats better for this application)

Between the above mentioned and whats already going on in my signature, I'm hoping to have some great performance and decent reliability. I also plan on doing a detailed DIY write-up with pictures to help anyone thats never ventured down this path.

Question: is a performance CDI worthwhile?
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

W8kbrder wrote:Question: is a performance CDI worthwhile?
On a '96 Dio, I've never noticed any benefit from a performance CDI, but maybe they're useful on other types.