90/90 Tires

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: 90/90 Tires

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings

The 3.50 is a bit taller at 3.5 inches than the 90/90 which nominally is 3.18". The width of either tire isn't an issue, but at speeds over 50 the 3.50 (Michelin S1) rubbed hard on the crankcase behind the muffler boss. Shaving weakens the muffler mount and you're never sure you've removed enough material until you test at high speed. Translation? The 3.50 just isn't worth the effort to me when the 90/90 fits without issues except the centerstand.

Up front, where the Michelin now resides, there IS an issue with a fully loaded scooter under braking and turning to the bar stops. It rubs - HARD - up under the fender. Mine has peeled the black rubber coating off my brake/speedo cable(s). Just get the 90s.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

What do people do with the 90/90 tires and not being able to use the center stand? Meaning both tires are touching the ground so you can't really let the bike idle on the stand or basically do anything on the stand.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I never have sprung for the sidestands everyone seems to like. I enjoy having the centerstand to let the engine warm up and often for testing the variator operation. I simply removed my centerstand and took it to someone who can weld and had it lengthened about an inch. The legs on the Aero for sure, and perhaps the Elites too, have to be spread apart a little to clear the tire side-to-side. Or you can deploy the stand on a 2x4...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

never had any issue with the tire rubbing the center stand on my elite. just what bfowler was talking about... the centerstand fails to lift the back end enough to make the rear tire clear the ground.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

kingearwig wrote:never had any issue with the tire rubbing the center stand on my elite. just what bfowler was talking about... the centerstand fails to lift the back end enough to make the rear tire clear the ground.
What was your solution to this problem? I don't know any welders and I really don't want to pay a fortune for someone to make my center stand longer
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

bfowler wrote:
kingearwig wrote:never had any issue with the tire rubbing the center stand on my elite. just what bfowler was talking about... the centerstand fails to lift the back end enough to make the rear tire clear the ground.
What was your solution to this problem? I don't know any welders and I really don't want to pay a fortune for someone to make my center stand longer
I just live with it... my idle is set low enough that my tire doesn't turn at idle so it really doesn't affect me. If I want to rev up I tip the scoot to one side a bit and the back tire comes off the ground.

I guess I should say that I still have a 3.00x10 on the front. I guess if I had a 3.50x10 on the front the centerstand wouldn't work at all. Then I guess I would have to do something about it.