change connecting rods?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mmeadows
Elite
Elite

change connecting rods?

Post by mmeadows »

can it be done? i remember someone asking this along time ago and everyone said its not worth the hassle as used assembled cranks are easy to find

but.....

im trying to build a worthwhile 83-84 aero engine and use the stock 7.?? gears it comes with.

what do we think about changing the connecting rod to accept the af05e pistons / bbk? do we think the cranks are similar enough that it wont effect the stroke too much?
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

change connecting rods?

Post by mmeadows »

can it be done? i remember someone asking this along time ago and everyone said its not worth the hassle as used assembled cranks are easy to find

but.....

im trying to build a worthwhile 83-84 aero engine and use the stock 7.?? gears it comes with.

what do we think about changing the connecting rod to accept the af05e pistons / bbk? do we think the cranks are similar enough that it wont effect the stroke too much?
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
ottoman
Elite
Elite

Re: change connecting rods?

Post by ottoman »

Changing out a rod isnt too hard if you have the equipment and the skill to true it back up. Changing the rod length doesnt affect the stroke.
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

so i would need to have a shop do it.

ottoman if you don't mind skooling me for a second.....why would rod length not change stroke?

If displacement is pie / 4 (bore2) (stroke) (number of cylinders) then wouldn't the stroke, which is measured in length, which is affected by the length of the connecting rod, change the stroke, and thus change the displacement? if i remember correctly the 83-84 nb50m has a much longer piston so im guessing it has a shorter connecting rod. i mean there are a few ways to get to 49cc's

I'm confused
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

it not the rod that make its were strock of it that counts..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

swimmingfree wrote:it not the rod that make its were strock of it that counts..
swimmingfree
lol but still confused
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

41mm bore 37.4 stroke i think is my se50 ==49cc
39mm bore 41 stroke is a dio i think ==49
not at home to look at the book ...
swimming
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Stroke is determined by the distance between the centerlines of the crank and the con-rod big end axes. The piston travel is twice that distance, between top and bottom dead center, regardless of the con rod length.

Honda has the resources to set up a production line with high-precision extremely powerful presses that line the flywheels up with the crankpins accurately in 3 planes. Toothless tattooed guys named Gus in dimly lit greasy shop backrooms have the ability to be almost as precise if they practice for ~40 years or so.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Duke
Spree
Spree

Post by Duke »

There is a shop in Oregon I believe that rebuilds cranks. I inquired about having some scooter cranks rebuilt and they quoted me at $40 per crank with my supplied parts + shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal considering the rarity of a good AF05E crank :happy: check em out! RB-designs.com
87 Elite 50
99 Aprilia SR50 Carb polini
02 Aprilia SR50 Ditech busted soon to rock gy6 150cc power!
1973 Suzuki TS185 smoker!
2002 KTM Duke
ottoman
Elite
Elite

Post by ottoman »

Doing cranks isnt really that hard... you need a press and some fixtures (u can make em) a couple of V blocks and a pair of dial indicators, feeler guages and a soft hammer... copper is material of choice.
Im sure there are videos out there of it being done. I used to do dirt bike cranks all the time when I worked for the Kawasaki dealer.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

So Ottoman has the Skills of the Few.
Not everyone has had the good fortune to work with Pros.
Maybe you could market those skills to the Forum?
We need your dental records and a tattoo shematic first though. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

ottoman wrote:Im sure there are videos out there of it being done. I used to do dirt bike cranks all the time when I worked for the Kawasaki dealer.
I looked a few years ago and couldn't find anything. I found 1 PDF that described the procedure conceptually, for H-D cranks (I believe.)

For $40 labor, I wouldn't bother learning how unless I had all the tools already.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

You have to ask yourself if it's worth all the fuss to rebuild. Last time I needed to major my Dio crank, I went on to ebay and found a brand new crank with rod & bearings all in one finished package for $29. It arrived in a few days, and then another day to check and install. It was from Taiwan, and 2 years later it still runs like a top.