UK Honda Vision NE50 MF - newbie performance advice sought

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: UK Honda Vision NE50 MF - newbie performance advice soug

Post by jakubman1 »

Here is the ramp plate. I have another but not sure if i gave it to Bonesv or not.
Attachments
20170523_081613.jpg
20170523_081613.jpg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
20170523_081558.jpg
20170523_081558.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Much appreciate you posting those pix. Any idea how far the ramps end above the flat surface?

My rollers all have a flat on them, one is pretty bad so they'll need replacing. They weigh 10g & are 13mm long x 16mm dia

The Ramp Plate is 12mm inside dia & 73mm outside.

Here's some pix of my ramp plate, I think the ID stamped on top may be a clue:

Ramp Size:

Height:
Last edited by cancunia on Tue May 23, 2017 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

What is the size of the center hole? Looks like to be around 12cm?
Last edited by Meatball on Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

That ramp plate you have is not restricted and should get you to 37-40 mph. There must be a restriction elsewhere.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Me measuring stuff ? I don't wanna mess your project up lol.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Meatball wrote:That ramp plate you have is not restricted and should get you to 37-40 mph. There must be a restriction elsewhere.
Sorry you mean my 'UK2' ramp plate is not restriced?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Here is a photo of a restricted variator for reference. The ramp plate has been restricted from fully opening by a cage held on by 3 bolts. To de-restrict, you simply remove it. Honda uses grease on their rollers sometimes so you must also clean the rollers and run it dry since the plate has been removed.

Also, you can clearly see by the marks on the Drive Face that the belt has only reached half way up. Once the restrictor plate has been removed, The variator will open fully and the belt will be able to reach the top and achieve the highest "gear".
Attachments
restricted vari from SE50P.jpg
restricted vari from SE50P.jpg (114.33 KiB) Viewed 9013 times
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Here's the drive face from mine, the belt looks to be reaching about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up. I'm sure this is covered elsewhere, but since I'm here I'll ask.. What weight rollers should I aim for to give the best top end with reasonable acceleration? They're 10g at the moment, although slightly worn so maybe were 10.5 or 11g

Image[/URL]
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Try going for 6.5g
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

10g rollers are PLENTY heavy. There must a restriction somewhere else besides the variator. It looks like its only getting 3/4 open so Im assuming its due to lack of RPM's. Higher revv's will increase centrifugal force and bring the rollers to the end of the ramp plate. Something is holding your RPM's back, possibly exhaust or main jet.

On our 87' Elite SE50, the exhaust was restricted by its design. Not by an easily drilled/removed washer. Therefore, it had to be changed to a non-restricted version. Below are the two differences....you can see from the buldge in the pipe.
Attachments
SE50 RESTRICTED exhaust.jpg
SE50 RESTRICTED exhaust.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
SE50 Unrestricted exhaust.jpg
SE50 Unrestricted exhaust.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

For the record, Ive never had or even SEEN a Vision NE50 in person. Please take my comments at face value.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Meatball wrote:For the record, Ive never had or even SEEN a Vision NE50 in person. Please take my comments at face value.
Thanks for all of your replies, it's a learning curve for all of us! I'll double check the weights but am fairly sure I got 59g for all 6 and 10g for 1 of them. The drive face - backing plate / seal looks to allow the ramp plate to travel all the way up the drive face posts but it was heavily clogged with grease that I've now cleaned out. I'll get some new 10g rollers and see what happens. The only other thing is the belt which has worn down to 14.1 mm, still within service limits. As the belt is not making it to the top of the driven face I'll leave it for now.

The exhaust pipe has a slightly larger diameter at the end as it enters the muffler so is as good as it's going to get for me as I need to keep it as standard looking as possible.

Once again thanks for all the feedback on the ramp plate, it looks pretty much unrestrictedwhen compared with others in the Wiki and elsewhere.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Your outer drive face pulley sheave looks to be marked only part-way up toward the rim. This suggests that the belt is missing out on "overdrive". The angle of the roller slots on your ramp plate appears to be the reason. Aftermarket variator replacement is one answer. As the AF05 crank diameter may be only 10mm, you'll need a ramp plate with a hole of that diameter. Early AF18s had the same outboard crank dimensions, if nobody still makes a variator for the 05.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

I did wonder about the angle of the ramp plate, but the 2 pulley halves on the drive do come together with about a 0.5mm gap when the ramp plate is at it's maximum travel. That small gap is caused by the ramp plate touching the 'seal' plate at the back of the variator. I'm waiting for a new belt / rollers and will leave off the seal plate to see if that will improve things.
All the same, I'd be interested to know what a US unrestricted ramp plate measures from top to bottom and also the gap from the bottom of the ramp to a flat surface. In one of my posts a bit earlier on this page I put pictures with my measurements for reference.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Decided to move all the conversations onto this thread.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 46#p300046
Meatball wrote: Also, 12:1 ratio is not ideal for top speed. I'm guessing that you'd only see about 37mph with those gears. My AF05 has 10:1 and does 41-ish.
35 would be just fine, I'm not really wanting more. The new rollers arrived today, I got 8g 16 dia x13 long. With the new rollers in the variator, there's about 1-2mm play between the rollers and the ramp plate with the drive halves fully closed. Did I buy the correct sized rollers?