UK Honda Vision NE50 MF - newbie performance advice sought

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nobbylad
BMX
BMX

UK Honda Vision NE50 MF - newbie performance advice sought

Post by nobbylad »

Hi guys,

My first post, so please be gentle!

I'm based in the UK (can't seem to find any UK forums) and have a Honda Vision NE50 MF, which I 'think' is an SA50 engine to you guys?

I'm doing a charity scooter ride in April 2014 and am trying to seek out the best performance upgrades for the scooter, in terms of biggest bang for buck.

In my (simple) mind, I'm looking at a big bore kit (like a Malossi 70cc), variator and performance exhaust. I'm also guessing I'd need to upgrade the air filter, reed valve and carb?

I'd be really grateful for some advice on the best bits/combinations to go for and links to additional info/threads/stores etc where possible.

I appreciate most of you guys know your way around these engines and are capable of machining bits and pieces as required, however I'm looking for bits that are pretty much bolt on and ride where possible. Whilst not completely mechanically inept, this project is being done with my 14yr old son in hand, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible without getting too detailed.

The scoot is completely stripped so far, I'm respraying it in Honda white and have a full set of custom made San Carlo decals for it. It may seem tacky, but we're doing a full Marco Simoncelli race replica (for those of you that follow MotoGP). Whilst the project is a bit of fun, there's a serious side to it as well and I'd like it to run as well as possible for the charity event.

So, thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers,

Nobbylad :mrgreen:
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: UK Honda Vision NE50 MF - newbie performance advice soug

Post by swimmingfree »

one thing you will need to do as well is a up grade on the finnell drive im guess is a 9/1 ...
swimmingfree
Last edited by swimmingfree on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
nobbylad
BMX
BMX

Post by nobbylad »

Thanks buddy. Any recommendations as to which one to go for in terms of manufacturer or links to stores? I appreciate you may only have US links, however they're still useful for part numbers etc
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

What is the engine code ? Its on the rear trans cover by the filler bung .I think you may find AF05E which means you have the se50 engine not a sa50 .The sa50 engine code is AF16
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
nobbylad
BMX
BMX

Post by nobbylad »

Hi Paul - thanks for responding. Yes, it's the AF05E
nobbylad
BMX
BMX

Post by nobbylad »

Here's the panels being prepped and the scoot at the end of the shed.

Basecoat

Scoot

nobbylad
BMX
BMX

Post by nobbylad »

swimmingfree wrote:one thing you will need to do as well is a up grade on the finnell drive im guess is a 9/1 ...
swimmingfree
Thanks pal.

I'm reading as much of the forum as I can to improve my knowledge here, however I've seen that 8-1 seems to be recommended in the SE50? Do you have a view on 8-1 as opposed to 9-1?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i not sure what is stock over the here it cood be 11/1 or 10/1 ???? Red Eft Performance sell a ( i think ) 8.?? /1 set for that se50 you lose some tack off but will gain top speed ...
nice build so far keep up the good works and photo .....
swimmingfree
Last edited by swimmingfree on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

The 8:1 and 9:1 gearsets are great, but far from a "bolt on" withe the af05 block. In order the run these you need gear parts from and af16, and those even need to be modified to fit. So not impossible, just not as simple as the other mods listed. Do you have an idea of what type of top speeds you are looking hit, and what cruising speed u want? 50 can easily be done without gears. Invest in a rear honda metro wheel and install a 90/90-10 tire. Also a performance variator with malossi belt will get u a couple more mph's. but before you start messing around with the trans, a BBK is going to be necessary.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Oh, I guess I did forget about the malossi gears for the af05... But at 7.4:1, or whatever long ratio they are, it'll be a struggle to accelerate
nobbylad
BMX
BMX

Post by nobbylad »

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the input and I also realise that there's a ton of threads asking about performance mods for the scoots. I am reading around the forum a lot, however it's a bit overwhelming right now trying to stay on top of what mods/combos are best.

I haven't done a baseline for this scoot yet as I bought 2 x non-runners together and got one of them working for a scooter run a couple of years ago. That was amazing fun (I'll post a separate thread about that at some point), however the scoot I used kept snapping belts and there were issues with the crank I think. Anyway, that one struggled to get over 30MPH (speedo) and it had new crank, bearings, rebored barrel etc.

This one was the 'donor' bike that I used parts from and basically has been sat in the shed since I did the first run. I've decided to get the panels prepped/painted whilst the weather in the UK is above freezing! and leave the engine work for after the panels are done. I'm looking to get bits together now and then once I have the panels etc sorted, I'll get the bike roadworthy and then get a baseline with the current motor.

My shopping list at the moment is:-

Malossi 70cc BBK (M.316405)
Some form of variator upgrade (Malossi is top $, Keli could be a cheaper option?)
90/90/10 tyre - I'm assuming this is a straight fit to the existing rim?

I am also considering the Leo Vince/Sito Plus 0508 exhaust - apparently it's not a 'performance' exhaust, however is an upgrade on stock? I think I have a stock exhaust that I decarbonised last year, but will need to check. Then it's a question of whether the new muffler would be any real upgrade over the cleaned out stock zorst?

Again, thanks for your time so far - I'm trying to get the best upgrades with the least effort...I don't know my way around tuning different carbs etc so would prefer plug 'n' play upgrades where possible.

EDIT: If I could get up near 50MPH on the flat and 40-45MPH cruising, I'd be a happy camper.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

you have a se50 so all you can get for a bbk is 63cc (48mm piston) you are mixing up the se50 with the af05 motor that will give you more mod .. the se50 has fue mod you can do to it ...there is only one pipe one bbk and not a lot more that just a bolt on stuff..you can get a bigger carb but you will need to make a adapter for the manifold...
swimmingfree

ps
do you have 4 bolts or 2 bolts holding the manifold to the block????

here is the pipe that will fit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEOVINCE-SP3-PE ... de&vxp=mtr
Last edited by swimmingfree on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

nobbylad
BMX
BMX

Post by nobbylad »

swimmingfree wrote:you have a se50 so all you can get for a bbk is 63cc (48mm piston) you are mixing up the se50 with the af05 motor that will give you more mod .. the se50 has fue mod you can do to it ...there is only one pipe one bbk and not a lot more that just a bolt on stuff..you can get a bigger carb but you will need to make a adapter for the manifold...
swimmingfree

here is the pipe that will fit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEOVINCE-SP3-PE ... de&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the reply, although I'm confused now lol!

The engine is an AF05E....does that mean the 70cc Malossi will fit?
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

The malossi gears are about 8-1.
The cylinder kit is 47mm which comes out to 65cc on the afo5.
That's the biggest available for the af05.
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

are you still confused ????
the 70 cc kit will not work on your bike....
if the manifold fold is held on the block with 2 bolts its a spree motor and you need a different bbk then if it has 4 bolts ... AF05E is the same for a spree and a elite over here in the usa just the manifold will tell you what you have...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...