Spree big bore kit install questions.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

dakotabs
Noob
Noob

Spree big bore kit install questions.

Post by dakotabs »

I just installed the 48 mm big bore kit but it did not come with instructions so I found some help full points on here. I have been heat cycling it all day and went to take it for a spin and I could not get the rpm's up. I don't have a tach but I could barely get it past ten MPH. while I was installing the BBK I cleaned the air filter and used k and n filter oil. I took the lid off the air box and can get it to rev much better with a huge improvement in throttle response, but I don't want to run it this way because it will be too lean. Will the stock air box work with the BBK or did I get too much oil on my filter? The scooter feels like twice the power with the big bore kit. Thanks Taz for providing such improvement on the stock Spree.
wite_rabit
BMX
BMX

Re: Spree big bore kit install questions.

Post by wite_rabit »

I ran into the same problem today when I tried to "open 'er up" instead of part-throttle runs. 15 was my limit! It would seem that some down jetting is in order... A stick wedged under one side of my air box really woke up the power! ...and overheated my engine (soft seize?)

The needle position might help, if it can be adjusted down enough. This thread would apply, if our needles adjust! http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 3&start=30

I intend to adjust my needle for stock airbox, then getting main jet sorted. Later perhaps I will dabble in free flow + up jetting, but the pilot is so small... I think I soft-seized just idling with a stick wedged. Then again my idle screw may be way off!
dakotabs
Noob
Noob

Post by dakotabs »

Did you clean your air filter too? I was Thought this would be a "quick fix". My spree ran pretty good before the BBK but then I got a little ambitious and did too much without creating a baseline. I also have a little trouble finding a BP6HS in my area so I have been cleaning my current plug until I order a couple on ebay. I think i'll wash out the filter oil and and try it without. I also read on here that you can buy 1" filter plugs. Maybe that will let her breath better.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

dakotabs wrote:I just installed the 48 mm big bore kit but it did not come with instructions so I found some help full points on here. I have been heat cycling it all day and went to take it for a spin and I could not get the rpm's up. I don't have a tach but I could barely get it past ten MPH. while I was installing the BBK I cleaned the air filter and used k and n filter oil. I took the lid off the air box and can get it to rev much better with a huge improvement in throttle response, but I don't want to run it this way because it will be too lean. Will the stock air box work with the BBK or did I get too much oil on my filter? The scooter feels like twice the power with the big bore kit. Thanks Taz for providing such improvement on the stock Spree.
Don't use k&n filter oil on a spree filter, it will just drip out. The BBK kit instructions state to run 32:1 premix in the tank with the oil pump, and it also states to drill certain size holes in the air box. So a couple of the uno filter plugs are going to be a help. And also the kit is supposed to have the new jet for the carb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
dakotabs
Noob
Noob

Post by dakotabs »

do you know how big and where to drill the hole? I did install the new jet and I was just about to drill a couple of holes in the air box lid. I was going to start small and do a few plug chops. I did put a little oil in the tank to keep it rich. The performance is night and day but I would like it to last. I still have not had it wide open yet but I bet I can get to 30 mph in less than a 1/4 mile. I also took your advice Pat and ordered the 85 head off ebay. I want to break in the BBK before I shave down and install it. Do you use a UNI air filter?
wite_rabit
BMX
BMX

Post by wite_rabit »

All these posts had me thinking I didn't read my directions... Now rechecking my boxes I can't find them and don't recall seeing 'em. Maybe Taz forgot them for this run, or figured the forum would provide!

Wouldn't jetting to the stock airbox keep things running smooth?
dakotabs
Noob
Noob

Post by dakotabs »

I drilled three 3/8" holes in the lid and it seems just right
wite_rabit
BMX
BMX

Post by wite_rabit »

Yours doesn't die while idling like that? I should throw a drill bit into my idle tube and pull it!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Ill post the bbk instructions when i get a chance. I think there are suposed to be 4 x1/2ÔÇ£ holes drilled in the lid of the air box but dont quote be on that i dont have the instructions in front of me. I have the 21mm carb setup on mine with a free flow filter works great

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
wite_rabit
BMX
BMX

Post by wite_rabit »

Yours has an adjustable idle jet though, right? With my stock carb I have has my motor die while idling with a slightly propped air box lid (so scientific!)... I know I need to adjust my air screw but haven't taken the time yet. Stock carb "mileage may vary" with bbk against those with burly carbs right?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

yes he does .You need to buy the ct intake and adapter and a 21 mm oko and two packs of jets pilots and mains oh and a pod filter .Then you will be able to tune it properly .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

paulpauly7 wrote:yes he does .You need to buy the ct intake and adapter and a 21 mm oko and two packs of jets pilots and mains oh and a pod filter .Then you will be able to tune it properly .
The two full jet kits are a worthwhile investment, it makes tuning possible. When you have a full selection of jets you only wait for shipping once ;-) I set up my spree bbk with the carb from scratch in under an hour since I had all of the jets to swap at will. http://dx.com/p/48mm-diameter-universal ... rey-189442
Hey Pauly have you seen the spree intake adapters anywhere for sale other than with the taz carb kit.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

No i havent but could be made a home out of a piece of alloy easyly
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yeah i could make another one. I wish they were available to buy it would make quick carb to mods to sprees much easier.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock