AX24 belt for spree latest update

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

Re: AX24 belt for spree latest update

Post by patthesoundguy »

Oh the BX26 belt is as close as one is going to get to the stock belt for a replacement. It is just a fraction longer than the stock belt so it is a little slower in the low end because it variates earlier. But it cruises nice in the top end. I think with lighter rollers and a red malossi center spring it might be better. Its better than not being able to get any replacement and. It was only $10 :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Ok I have the ax23 on there. I dont recommend this install for inexperienced wrenchers. It takes a certain finesse to get it on there without damaging the splines on the crank shaft but it can be done. Looks like it will work though. I'll post a tutorial on how I did it soon. Image this should give the extra top we will be looking for if you notice the belt sitting lower in the driven pulley an higher in the drive pulley. This is the desired effect, which we weren't getting with the ax 24 as it was sitting high in the driven pully and rubbing the case as well.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sucks monkey butts on take off. Does 35mph GPS. Thats with supposedly heavier springs in the clutch. Does anyone know th stock Yamaha jog clutch engagement rpm? The jog springs for put it in are way too light need the heavier ones and possibly need dio springs to cut/ bend to fit to get the proper high rpm clutch grab thats needed. May need to abandon the belt and try the gears. This belt may be faster on an 86/87 motor because ive heard the stock gearing in those motors is faster by default.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

But this 84 spree is 7 mph faster than it was before the belt change and case porting with carbon fibre reeds. And stock pipe with the 84 reed block. So who knows.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I just pulled the cover again and so far after a few runs the belt seems good ir broke in a bit so reinstalling might be easier. If it can be installed it so far seems like a viable option for more spreed. We just need heavier clutch springs I'm thinking. Back to the research and testing
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Just did a run Stock belt with stock springs 28mph so the AX23 belt was good for 7mph more top end on that particular stretch of road. Not bad
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
JDOBBS86
Noob
Noob

Post by JDOBBS86 »

ax23 in the mail
my fiancee's spree (my project)
franken-puch
75 honda+ 80's tomos=homos
garelli
peugeot 102+103
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Got me an AX23 belt on order. Hoping it will work perfect like you said it seems to be. :)
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Ok I got the AX23 belt installed on my 86 spree today. Terrible low end also. But it does climb quite quickly up to 34 once it get's going. I think I'm going to remove it and buy a genuine Honda belt for the spree however. I don't like that you have to mod the clutch around just to make it work. But it was worth a shot.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

When you run a bbk the AX23 works well because you have the extra bottom end to push the diffent gear ratio. But with out a bbk you likely need much heavier cluch springs to have the clutch engage at a much higher rpm when you are up in to the power band. Some higher compression would also help. But bone stock its gonna be real crappy.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

perfect! I'm building a bbk spree currently, now I know what I'm gonna use it on :)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

My 2 pesos: I tried an AX23 belt on a bone stock Spree and you had to Flintstone the take-offs. Almost un-ridable since it takes half a city block to get to 15mph. Sure, it gave me 2-3mph on the top end but getting there was as exciting as watching paint dry.

Here is where I got it from FYI: http://www.vbelts4less.com/AX23--AX-Sec ... 12408.html
patthesoundguy wrote:with out a bbk you likely need much heavier cluch springs to have the clutch engage at a much higher rpm.
Where do you get heavy clutch springs for the Spree clutch? I tried the Leo Vince springs for a JOG and they were a nice fit but didnt help to advance the engagement nearly enough. Maybe gave me an additional 200-300 rpms before it bites which isnt much to make a difference. Or is there another clutch out there that is plug-n-play for the Spree with more spring options?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Meatball wrote:My 2 pesos: I tried an AX23 belt on a bone stock Spree and you had to Flintstone the take-offs. Almost un-ridable since it takes half a city block to get to 15mph. Sure, it gave me 2-3mph on the top end but getting there was as exciting as watching paint dry.

Here is where I got it from FYI: http://www.vbelts4less.com/AX23--AX-Sec ... 12408.html
patthesoundguy wrote:with out a bbk you likely need much heavier cluch springs to have the clutch engage at a much higher rpm.
Where do you get heavy clutch springs for the Spree clutch? I tried the Leo Vince springs for a JOG and they were a nice fit but didnt help to advance the engagement nearly enough. Maybe gave me an additional 200-300 rpms before it bites which isnt much to make a difference. Or is there another clutch out there that is plug-n-play for the Spree with more spring options?
there isn't much that's plug and pray for the spree. What most guys did for spree clutches was to use dio springs and cut/heat/re-bend to make them the correct length. I have not springs in all different tensions but haven't ever had the chance to try them. The dio clutch gits from what I have heard but you have to hack the side cover to have the clearance. Try searching spree clutch mod. Might find the threads.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

patthesoundguy wrote: The dio clutch gits from what I have heard.
Doesnt the Dio spin the opposite direction than Spree? No bueno.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Meatball wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote: The dio clutch gits from what I have heard.
Doesnt the Dio spin the opposite direction than Spree? No bueno.
The dio doesn't spin the oposite direction. Mr.Jumps has swapped out a spree clutch with a GY6 clutch and a dio clutch.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock