AX24 belt for spree latest update

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

AX24 belt for spree latest update

Post by patthesoundguy »

Well... As some as you know the AX24 belt diddnt work out for most people who tried it as far as I know. I had it work for me on my 84. I ran mine for quite a while over the last two years. I just took a look yesterfday when I pulled my spree apart to check tthe crank bearings. That belt while it fit for me form the first while its slightly too long is the conclusion ive come to. So now I'm going to order an AX23 and AX22 and see how they work out on my stock motor :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Re: AX24 belt for spree latest update

Post by patthesoundguy »

Okay AX23 and AX22 are on onder should be in Thursday and I'lll likely be able to try them next week. I'm also working on a replacement belt for the 85 aero 80. 85 aero 80 belts are no longer available new so wish me luck :-)
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The AX23 and 22 arrived the other day hopefully I'll be able to check the fit soon
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Okay AX23 and AX22 are on onder should be in Thursday and I'lll likely be able to try them next week. I'm also working on a replacement belt for the 85 aero 80. 85 aero 80 belts are no longer available new so wish me luck
Thanks PTSG, and good luck! Kind of you to put research into the belt issue for all :thumbsup:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

mousewheels wrote:
Okay AX23 and AX22 are on onder should be in Thursday and I'lll likely be able to try them next week. I'm also working on a replacement belt for the 85 aero 80. 85 aero 80 belts are no longer available new so wish me luck
Thanks PTSG, and good luck! Kind of you to put research into the belt issue for all :thumbsup:
No worries, I have good source for all things belts, bearings, seals and other movement stuff. I managed to find a replacement for the elusive 85 aero 80 belt that is not available new. Time will tell how it works. I'm sure out of the two belts I have for the spree one isgoing to be spot on. The ax24 is just a hair too long. Whatever belt works I'll be able to supply them to everyone no prob.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

PTSG, what belt did you find works well for the nh80? A while ago I ordered a gates bx24 for my ch80 to do some testing with. Not sure if it'll be better or worse than stock, but for $12 I'm sure going to find out.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The gates belts are Awesome! I found the gates ax27 is pretty much perfect just a hair narrower than stock for the aero80. Now this morning I just ordered acouple more ax27 for further testing and I ordered bx27 and and bx28 to see how the wider belt will perform maybe some more top end will result if it even works ;-). Should be interesting.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Another update on the aero 80 belt search. The BX belt is the exact right with pretty much as the the spec orig belt was new so its a perfect fit that way. Now the BX27 is 1 inch too long so it variates up too quick and doesnt drop in till its at idle. Even with a Malossi red spring. So a BX26 is one inch shorter so it will be the exact replacement. I'll order one on Tuesday and try it. Measured the stock belt out on the bench now I have a belt referenceImage
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

Interested to know why you think its a little long? And keen to know what you think of the AX23. I've got a Gates Truflex 2250 sitting here, its the same dimensions as an AX23 but not a cogged belt. Was thinking about giving it a try for fitting anyway.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The one inch longer allows the belt on the aero to variate too early because of the lack of tension. That and after measuring the original the BX26 is going to be the right length. In the shop when we were doing the initial measuring I diddnt think to do the conversion on the 26. I did the conversion for the 27 and we figured it was close enough so we diddnt go to the next size. Time will tell when I order the BX26 and try it for real. Now for the spree belt. I put one of my spree motors on the bench last night and tried to install the ax23 it doesnt seem to want to go on seems too short. The 24 went on a little hard a couple years ago so I'm not sure what to think at this point but figure that maybe the belt I put on just wore out and stretched prematurely. I'm curious to see how that 2250 belt fits. I may try another ax24 and see how it goes. Maybe the gates belt will be better than the one I had. The saga continues... I'm having fun though
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

So happens I have a Gates AX24 showing up with my MLM pipe this week, so try both and see what happens.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

jetspinz wrote:So happens I have a Gates AX24 showing up with my MLM pipe this week, so try both and see what happens.
You'll love the pipe it rips.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

Well interesting day of testing. As for the belt side of things, changed to the AX24 after installing the pipe.

Or at least I tried to. There was so much slack it was never going to work. I doubt the drive pulley would grab it! So I tried the Truflex 2250 instead. Was an absolute b***ard to install without damaging splines, but managed it. Interesting results. The scooter took off like a wet sandbag, hardly wanted to move. Once it got going it took forever, but topped out the speedo. Tried to take it up a hill. Didn't really want to know, speed fell away alarmingly fast and CHT was shooting up through 375 by the time I was over the top.

For reasons as yet unknown reasons, the idle was crap too. In any case, I don't think its a great mod for me, at least not on current jetting. I'm going to go back to a stock belt for now, and try some taz gears instead.
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

In changing back to stock, I opened up the belt cover - and it was full of fluff! A lint light substance, I can only assume it has come from the worn looking side of the 2250 belt. Probably in part due to the fact it's not a cogged belt.

Back to stock, normal service has resumed.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

There is a trick to getting the ax24 on there without damaging stuff. I have it down to a science. Not convinced the ax24 is the right belt. I ran one for quite a while. I need to get a spree back on the road to test more.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock