Do you have a fake chinese OKO carburator how to tell

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Do you have a fake chinese OKO carburator how to tell

Post by cruzingratiot »

hopefully this is where to post this

how to tell a real from fake OKO carburetor

http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/copies.html

real one on right
China1.jpg
China1.jpg (208 KiB) Viewed 10858 times
click on link for rest of pics
http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/copies.html

from oko usa website
http://www.usa-oko.com/
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
Wheelman-111

Re: Do you have a fake chinese OKO carburator how to tell

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Putting out a product by reverse-engineering someone else's hard work (without paying royalties...) cuts out the R&D cost. This is Stealing. No matter how attractive the price, I refuse to deal with Thieves.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Wait a sec, oko stole the build from keihin, even some oko have the k stamped inside them from directly stealing the die and casts. If I was them I wouldn't throw too many stones living in their glass house.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

just wasting time tuning the crap pwk carb last around 2 yrs before getting in the trash.

get a real keihin japan carb, less hassle tuning jetting and more reliable running
Last edited by veedubh20 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I didn't even read the links but I know if it doesn't say made in Taiwan it's a copy of a copy.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Thank you for the link to inform us about the crappy stuff that sometimes makes it way into the market soley for profit. I dislike being deceived.
The OKO carburetor is a blessing to us who needed something that Keihin didn't make. A smaller sized flat-slide carburetor. The smallest Keihin I could find in this style was a 28mm. Those were too large for the 70-80cc scooter builder, unless you live on an island somewhere. So, there you have it.
I have tried the Polini 24mm pwk style non-powerjet carburetor, which is also a "copy", and I'm very happy with that also. Love this site, thanks to all who share intelligently!
Happy Trails!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

polini pwk is made in italy and made their own. quality is good

Polini pwk use keihin pwk jets
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

True that bones, thank you paul for the info!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's not uncommon for bigger companies to SELL the rights to manufacture their products; particularly when the technology is getting old and the profits from that tech have already been reaped. Keihin has subsidiaries all over Asia, including 4 in China. Let's assume - because I can find no search record of OKO making such a deal - that OKO PAID for the right to build PWK clones. This means that the thinking that went into the design continues to be compensated, and that OKO shares a bit of its revenue with the rightful owner of the design. Other offshoots, and I have seen at least 2 very inferior copies - do not pay up, and their clone-of-a-clone products often do suck. Those are the Thieves to whom I refer.

If OKO simply downsized the design, to 26, 24, and 21 mm versions of the PWK 28, they had a little engineering of their own to sort out. Cheaper manufacturing costs in Taiwan, Vietnam and other countries allow them to sell the product for well below $100, and I've got to say that most of the "real" Taiwanese OKOs I've owned worked pretty well. (Although "Great Momentum" and Must-have Yuppie product" make me giggle too...) Just be sure the emulsion tube, jet holder and the jets themselves are Genuine Keihin and you shouldn't have too many problems.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

Hey good thread! Thank you cruzingratiot!!

Yes there are lots of cheaper copies floating around.

Ive been using OKO for years and have had really good success with them.
Yes OKO is a copy and they arent as high quality as a PWK. But the carb doesnt cost 200$ + brand new.

I really like the OKO. I mean where can you get a Flat slide carb brand new for 70$?

I usually end up running all Keihin jets and needles in my OKOs I think that really helps.

If ya have the money spring for a Higher quality carb. If not the OKOs are great.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

When China makes a copy, the detail is no good but the amount of copies produced in a givin amount of time is amazing.
When Taiwan makes a copy, they do a much much better job at attention to detail (like Japan), but still use "lesser" quality materials to keep price low (like China).
In my opinion, when you consider product quality vs. product price the OKO is unbeatable
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

Ive had no problems with my oko carbs .Im about to fit a 28mm oko to my modified ts185 motor for some testing if not ive got a 30mm to try and a new expansion chamber
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Mine is crap. Within a month or two it had already worn all the chrome off the slide. Should have known when the sticker right on the front says made in China. I have a pwk now that was used I pulled off a zuma and the quality is night and day. I definitely will not be buying another oko. At least not one made in China!
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

spreeinkc wrote:Mine is crap. Within a month or two it had already worn all the chrome off the slide. Should have known when the sticker right on the front says made in China. I have a pwk now that was used I pulled off a zuma and the quality is night and day. I definitely will not be buying another oko. At least not one made in China!
If it was made in China then it was a fake! Genuine OKO's are made in Taiwan.
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

That might explain why I can't get mine tuned right! The biggest I can run is a 135 and my temps still hit 400. I finally split the case and ported the rear port thinking it would help. Now biggest I can run is a 125 and that's with needle all the way down. The lead for my temp guage has short now so I can't check it anymore so I haven't been riding it much. It does seem to be running strong through. Having trouble determining what size pilot to use. Seems no matter which one I pick the air mixture screw has to be all the way in. It's been frustrating to say the least!