Variator options for Elites, please post reviews if you can

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wiscompton
Goped
Goped

Variator options for Elites, please post reviews if you can

Post by Wiscompton »

I picked up this 2001 Elite SR the other day. I purchased it with the goal of flipping it but the plastics are bad enough and the engine is good enough that I am leaning towards keeping it. I have owned A LOT of SA50s and I have to say this one is the easiest starting smoothest running one I have ever owned, thats out of like 20-30 Elite SA50s.

Oddly it has an uncommonly low top speed (barely 35) but has the best acceleration of any of them. Mayhaps thats because this is an SR and the vast majority I have owned were Ps and had been derestricted? For whatever reason about 9 out of ten of the Elites I go through were once restricted Ps.

So here is my question. Are the newer Honda variators (Metropolitans and Rucki) performance upgrades? Or are they just replacements for stock performance? I have read several times that they swap but haven't seen it noted what kind (if any) of performance gains were had. Also I know that the 2005 and older Honda 4 stroke 50s are notably crappier than the post 2005 models. Where you could expect to get 35mph out of a 2004 Met/Ruck you could expect 40mph from a 2006. Is any of this due to the Variator? Are the newer variators preferable to the older ones? Or are the performance gains in the newer ones gained from somewhere other than the variator?

I have a busted 2004 Metropolitan engine laying around the garage (failing crank bearing, super typical) and I am considering robbling the variator and giving it a try on this here Elite I picked up.

So here are my real questions.

1. Do the GET variators imrpove performance?

2. Are the newer GET variators superior performers?

3. Do the GET clutchs swap? Do they perform better?

4. How do the GET variators perform in comparison to true aftermarket variators like the 30-50 dollar aftermarket ebay variators?

If anyone has any performance variators reviews please post them here.
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Re: Variator options for Elites, please post reviews if you

Post by curtis966 »

From what I know the metro variators are actually restricted so it prolly won't be worth your while. I ran a stock ruck variator for a while in my af05 and saw a big gain in over all speed. Both polini and malossi make variators for the elite and also for the ruckus. The ones for ruckus once tuned right will give you a little more over all performance because they are a little larger in diameter. But as graphite9 said they will come with heavier rollers you prolly won't end up using. Also you would have to use the stock drive boss because the ruck one is different. The polini for gy6 is slightly larger than the for elite and comes with a usable drive boss that's the one I have myself I can't remember what rollers came with it but I already have every weight so I didn't care lol. As for clutches there are plenty of options for the elite as well as clutch springs and center springs and gears. Hit up graphite9 or redetf they are great vendors here on the fourm as well as great helpers and have a lot of info on all types of sweet aftermarket go fast parts!
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Wiscompton
Goped
Goped

Post by Wiscompton »

Good to know.

I am not worried about the weights, I have more variator weights than I can use in a lifetime.

What about Kymco ZX50 variators? I have access to several scrap ZX50s so if those are better than the GET variators I will use them.

Maybe I should just get a ZX50 variator, an old GET variator, and a new one and see the difference. Thats a lot of weight swaps and impact gunning but maybe worth it.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I bought my 01 sr at the beginning of summer and it was running like yours. bought a naraku sport variator and 6.9 rollers and changed my gearing to 9:44 and was hitting 51 mph top and running mid 40s on flats. the rest was stock. talk with Graphite9 he can hook you up. Ive put on 1500+ miles on it this summer and ran it hard without any issues.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Wiscompton wrote:Good to know.

I am not worried about the weights, I have more variator weights than I can use in a lifetime.

What about Kymco ZX50 variators? I have access to several scrap ZX50s so if those are better than the GET variators I will use them.

Maybe I should just get a ZX50 variator, an old GET variator, and a new one and see the difference. Thats a lot of weight swaps and impact gunning but maybe worth it.
Snag up the rear pully form the Zx50 as well and you will see great bottom end performance but prolly not much up top. But you'll need a Zx belt as well.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
808EERPS48
Goped
Goped

Post by 808EERPS48 »

graphite9 wrote:Well, first off the clutches dont fit. The vari will, and you might see some gains, but the rollers weights will be incorrect weight.

Also, the "real performance" variators are not the $30-50 ebay ones. Those are garbage. Polini and malossi are the best performing variators for the elite. 89elitelx just installed a polini vari and was blown away by the change. I've done nothing but a polini vari on an elite s, and picked up 8mph

I agree that the prodigy and fake koso crap (excuse my language) that they sell on ebay is the worst stuff you can buy, I also agree that polini and malossi make great parts, ho w ever I do think that if your not looking to spend a whole lot of money i recommend Kelly. It's a taiwan brand but it works, their pulleys, ramps, and clutches are very good. I run it and pretty much everyone here in hawaii runs it, the few that can afford or spend money have the malossi clutches cuz they run in the $100+ range. also i think malossi only has one clutch type while kelly has light, medium, and heavy, so for tuning purposes its fits the description. price range for these parts here in hawaii is like $45 for pulley and ramp, and $45 for clutch thats without springs, deffinately recommend polini springs for these clutches, other than that good luck.
84 Spree dio ready
Youtube me: Go RYAN Pro
True 72cc
70+/F/72
Reppin it for the 2+ class
Eastsydah Rydah Productions
#Handodat
Wiscompton
Goped
Goped

Post by Wiscompton »

Anyone try this bad boy?

I have had good experiences with Polini parts and variators in moped world and Jog world but I have never owned any Polini stuff for Hondas. Malossi I have found to make good cylinders and some good pipes but their variators never impressed me.

Thing is if I buy a true aftermarket performance variator for $100+ it will basically double the cost of the bike.

I have a 70cc kit, 21mm OKO, ebay intake/reeds, expansion chamber, and all the springs and rollers I could ever need just laying around and I am tempted to make a mild build out of it.

Also does anyone know off the top of their head if the Kymco ZX50 forks swap over to the Elite SA50? Having a front disc would be nice.
bigreed
Goped
Goped

Post by bigreed »

Wiscompton wrote:
I have a 70cc kit, 21mm OKO, ebay intake/reeds, expansion chamber, and all the springs and rollers I could ever need just laying around and I am tempted to make a mild build out of it.

Also does anyone know off the top of their head if the Kymco ZX50 forks swap over to the Elite SA50? Having a front disc would be nice.
I've read just a ramp swap does wonders.

Your list sounds like my ride.
Stock S trans airsal 70cc kit, ebay ddx variator , 8.4 gear, 19mm carb, expansion chamber, stock manifold and reeds 60+mph no problem 350$ setup.

Eventually i wanna upgrade the variator its wearing funny (garbage), a clutch that can handle my weight and check out some carbon reeds. Still sad I missed g9's polini trans sale!

I'm interested in a kymco zx tree swap! stock front end even beefed up with c100 shocks isnt gonna cut it
99 Elite 50S GPS coming soon 9520rpm
|Airsal|Scorpion|Arreche|Uni|outerwear|ncy|8.4|TrailTech

87 elite 50 S :-D
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Kymco zx50 front fork will not fit, they are a larger diameter by a lot.
The keli clutches are junk, I have a heavy duty and a lightened set and neither grip well at all. So poorly I thought I lost compression on an engine. Stick with a malossi fly or delta clutch. The polini clutches are good but not better than the malossi in my opinion.
Use a polini for ruckus variator, if you do use a zx50 rear pulley you will have to grind parts of your case down near the rear pulley or it will ruin your belt.
As far as I know the ruckus boss works on the af16, maybe Curtis can clarify what he has found wrong.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Wiscompton wrote:Anyone try this bad boy?

I have had good experiences with Polini parts and variators in moped world and Jog world but I have never owned any Polini stuff for Hondas. Malossi I have found to make good cylinders and some good pipes but their variators never impressed me.

Thing is if I buy a true aftermarket performance variator for $100+ it will basically double the cost of the bike.

it would appear it's just the ramp plate and rollers, I would get a sef ramp from vtcycles instead of that one, but if you do get that techno ramp let us know how it compares.